Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Default can i sell my contract iphone 4s?

i recently got two phone lines on at&t one line has an iphone 4s and one line has the iphone 5. im using the line with the iphone 5 and no one is using the other line or 4s so my question is. can i sell my iphone 4s to my friend? would taking my sim card out of the 4s and my friend putting her 3gs sim card in there work? and we both have at&t.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Default Re: can i sell my contract iphone 4s?

yes it will work. arent 3gs and 4s same sim card? if so yes it will work. both are att phones so you shouldnt have any problems.
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Yes, you can sell it with no issue.

The SIM cards are different between the 3GS and the 4S (it uses a micro-SIM on the 4S, the 3GS uses a normal SIM card), so they will have to get a micro-SIM from their carrier.

Also keep in mind that they need to be using the same carrier you are using as that 4S will be locked to your carrier until your contract is up or the contract is broken and fee is paid. (or you can use one of the eBay unlocks which will cost you around $10...at that point it could be used with any carrier that uses a SIM card and can provide a micro-SIM).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just make sure you replace the 4s with a dummy phone that doesn't require a data plan. That way you aren't spending $9 for the line and and extra $20-$30 for data that isn't being used.
    - 13.3 rMBP | 16GB iPad Mini
    - 32GB Galaxy S4 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8 | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGeek View Post
    Just make sure you replace the 4s with a dummy phone that doesn't require a data plan. That way you aren't spending $9 for the line and and extra $20-$30 for data that isn't being used.
    I believe you will still have to pay for the data for the remainder of the contract
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Okay so what if I like cancel the contract and sell the phone will they be able to use the same SIM card that's in the phone? Or would they still need a new sim?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by morgans13 View Post
    Okay so what if I like cancel the contract and sell the phone will they be able to use the same SIM card that's in the phone? Or would they still need a new sim?
    That SIM card will be deactivated when you cancel the account/contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jerome g View Post
    I believe you will still have to pay for the data for the remainder of the contract
    This is not true...you can switch the account to the lowest $9/month share plan without data. At least on AT&T you can...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can swap to a dummy phone. You still have the remainder of the contract just no data charge.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    That SIM card will be deactivated when you cancel the account/contract.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not true...you can switch the account to the lowest $9/month share plan without data. At least on AT&T you can...
    Wow , good to know.
    How would they recoup the money from selling the phone to you at a subsidized price ?
    They give a big discount on the phone, the all you have to do is pay $9 a month for 24 months ?
    It doesn't add up to me.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It works. I have a line that's currently in the same situation with an IP4s that I sold.
    - 13.3 rMBP | 16GB iPad Mini
    - 32GB Galaxy S4 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8 | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Wow , good to know.
    How would they recoup the money from selling the phone to you at a subsidized price ?
    They give a big discount on the phone, the all you have to do is pay $9 a month for 24 months ?
    It doesn't add up to me.
    You think they pay what we pay for the iPhone? LOL! Good one!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Add's up to me. They can't dictate what plan you do or do not have. They also can't force you to keep a phone that you paid fair and square for.

Sell the iPhone 4S, and like others have stated; put your extra line on the smallest plan you can find. Nothing wrong with doing this, it's called making smart financial decisions.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Add's up to me. They can't dictate what plan you do or do not have. They also can't force you to keep a phone that you paid fair and square for.

Sell the iPhone 4S, and like others have stated; put your extra line on the smallest plan you can find. Nothing wrong with doing this, it's called making smart financial decisions.
    We should all make these smart financial decisions then. Get a new iphone 5 on a new line for $199 then sell it on eBay for about $800, which is what they are going for. Keep paying $9 for 24 months=$216, plus the $200 for the phone and maybe $100 in upgrade fees and taxes. So that puts it around $500. The eBay and PayPal fees are about 9% , so say you round it out with extra fees on the cell bill and you come out + $150 for 1 phone or even $100.
    Hey,do the math, I'll take as many phones as I can get, thank you.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    You think they pay what we pay for the iPhone? LOL! Good one!
    I obviously know that they don't.
    How much do you think they pay for a 16gb ? $400
    If so then they are still losing out on that contract due to the overhead.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

We should all make these smart financial decisions then. Get a new iphone 5 on a new line for $199 then sell it on eBay for about $800, which is what they are going for. Keep paying $9 for 24 months=$216, plus the $200 for the phone and maybe $100 in upgrade fees and taxes. So that puts it around $500. The eBay and PayPal fees are about 9% , so say you round it out with extra fees on the cell bill and you come out + $150 for 1 phone or even $100.
    Hey,do the math, I'll take as many phones as I can get, thank you.
    Not sure what you're pointing out here...You are welcome to buy iPhones from AT&T and turn around and re-sell them. Eventually it won't make sense because you'll have a ton of lines and no use for them.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Not sure what you're pointing out here...You are welcome to buy iPhones from AT&T and turn around and re-sell them. Eventually it won't make sense because you'll have a ton of lines and no use for them.
    I'm pointing out that you can make $100 to $150 per phone if it was that simple. Why doesn't that make sense. After 2 years, cancel the lines.