can i sell my contract iphone 4s?

morgans13

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
i recently got two phone lines on at&t one line has an iphone 4s and one line has the iphone 5. im using the line with the iphone 5 and no one is using the other line or 4s so my question is. can i sell my iphone 4s to my friend? would taking my sim card out of the 4s and my friend putting her 3gs sim card in there work? and we both have at&t.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
yes it will work. arent 3gs and 4s same sim card? if so yes it will work. both are att phones so you shouldnt have any problems.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can sell it with no issue.

The SIM cards are different between the 3GS and the 4S (it uses a micro-SIM on the 4S, the 3GS uses a normal SIM card), so they will have to get a micro-SIM from their carrier.

Also keep in mind that they need to be using the same carrier you are using as that 4S will be locked to your carrier until your contract is up or the contract is broken and fee is paid. (or you can use one of the eBay unlocks which will cost you around $10...at that point it could be used with any carrier that uses a SIM card and can provide a micro-SIM).

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Just make sure you replace the 4s with a dummy phone that doesn't require a data plan. That way you aren't spending $9 for the line and and extra $20-$30 for data that isn't being used.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure you replace the 4s with a dummy phone that doesn't require a data plan. That way you aren't spending $9 for the line and and extra $20-$30 for data that isn't being used.

I believe you will still have to pay for the data for the remainder of the contract

morgans13

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay so what if I like cancel the contract and sell the phone will they be able to use the same SIM card that's in the phone? Or would they still need a new sim?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay so what if I like cancel the contract and sell the phone will they be able to use the same SIM card that's in the phone? Or would they still need a new sim?

That SIM card will be deactivated when you cancel the account/contract.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe you will still have to pay for the data for the remainder of the contract

This is not true...you can switch the account to the lowest $9/month share plan without data. At least on AT&T you can...

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
You can swap to a dummy phone. You still have the remainder of the contract just no data charge.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
That SIM card will be deactivated when you cancel the account/contract.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not true...you can switch the account to the lowest $9/month share plan without data. At least on AT&T you can...

Wow , good to know.
How would they recoup the money from selling the phone to you at a subsidized price ?
They give a big discount on the phone, the all you have to do is pay $9 a month for 24 months ?
It doesn't add up to me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow , good to know.
How would they recoup the money from selling the phone to you at a subsidized price ?
They give a big discount on the phone, the all you have to do is pay $9 a month for 24 months ?
It doesn't add up to me.

You think they pay what we pay for the iPhone? LOL! Good one!

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Add's up to me. They can't dictate what plan you do or do not have. They also can't force you to keep a phone that you paid fair and square for.

Sell the iPhone 4S, and like others have stated; put your extra line on the smallest plan you can find. Nothing wrong with doing this, it's called making smart financial decisions.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Add's up to me. They can't dictate what plan you do or do not have. They also can't force you to keep a phone that you paid fair and square for.

Sell the iPhone 4S, and like others have stated; put your extra line on the smallest plan you can find. Nothing wrong with doing this, it's called making smart financial decisions.

We should all make these smart financial decisions then. Get a new iphone 5 on a new line for $199 then sell it on eBay for about $800, which is what they are going for. Keep paying $9 for 24 months=$216, plus the $200 for the phone and maybe $100 in upgrade fees and taxes. So that puts it around $500. The eBay and PayPal fees are about 9% , so say you round it out with extra fees on the cell bill and you come out + $150 for 1 phone or even $100.
Hey,do the math, I'll take as many phones as I can get, thank you.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
We should all make these smart financial decisions then. Get a new iphone 5 on a new line for $199 then sell it on eBay for about $800, which is what they are going for. Keep paying $9 for 24 months=$216, plus the $200 for the phone and maybe $100 in upgrade fees and taxes. So that puts it around $500. The eBay and PayPal fees are about 9% , so say you round it out with extra fees on the cell bill and you come out + $150 for 1 phone or even $100.
Hey,do the math, I'll take as many phones as I can get, thank you.
Not sure what you're pointing out here...You are welcome to buy iPhones from AT&T and turn around and re-sell them. Eventually it won't make sense because you'll have a ton of lines and no use for them.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you're pointing out here...You are welcome to buy iPhones from AT&T and turn around and re-sell them. Eventually it won't make sense because you'll have a ton of lines and no use for them.

I'm pointing out that you can make $100 to $150 per phone if it was that simple. Why doesn't that make sense. After 2 years, cancel the lines.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2