Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Angry Skeumorhpism - Flavor of the month

Ever since Scott Forstall was reportedly "fired" from Apple, and many speculated that in the end it was due to Forstall's differing design principles with Ive's (read Skeumorphism vs Modernism), everyone and almost anyone has taken to openly criticizing Apple's "dated" design of iOS.
    While I am totally for a shake up in the high ranks of Apple, what I don't get is why everyone hates the iOS design all of a sudden.
    I didn't have a word for Skeumorphism, until two days back, but I'm glad I do now. For me, it's not such a bad thing. It gives that playfulness to iDevices which has made iOS so visually different and striking from the drabness of Android. The current iOS design is the reason why an iPhone would appeal so much to soccer mom's and technophobes and at the same time appealing to the geeks.

I am excited to see the turn iOS design takes, with Ive at its helm, but not at the cost of debasing the design principles that have made it just so awesome!

Forstall did something good. Give him credit for that. The guy needs a break (literally)

EDIT
    To Admin : I'm sorry I couldn't find an appropriate forum category for my rant. So I ended up posting here.
    Last edited by nitishgera; 11-01-2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Unsure about categorization
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default Re: Skeumorhpism - Flavor of the month

it has its place and yes it makes it interesting, but one example, the contacts on ipad is a bit silly so much wasted space it seems to me
    iPhone 5 32GB Black / iPad 2 32GB White
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Skeumorhpism - Flavor of the month

There are times where Skeumorphism has its place then there's time when it's done just for the sake of doing it. People have been all over the Skeumorphic design for a long time now, many are just re-voicing it with the release of Forstall.

Edit:
    Forstall definitely deserves a lot of credit, he helped guide iOS to the success that it is today....the problem that came with that is he couldn't see beyond his own vision to further evolve.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~