How do you delete recent contacts in your text history

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Before wiping the phone out completely I'd recommend going into settings - general - reset - reset all settings. Not sure if it will work or now but it's worth a try.

Chase Isley

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The only way to get rid of it is to restore your phone which was said above. Save your contacts through google or yahoo etc. and all of your other information through another program or site instead of through your itunes or icloud backup. If you restore from a backup, that recent text history will still be there. You have to start a fresh restore, but before you do, make sure you backup your information somewhere else besides itunes or icloud backup. It is the only way if you REALLY want to get rid of it. Apple does need to add a fix for this. This issue has been going on for a long time. I am surprised they haven't resolved it through their updates yet.

cynrod12

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know the same thing. I am tired of my phone popping up my boyfriends old number although I deleted it and it sends my text to his old number therefore he doesn't receive my text so it brings a lot of confusion

William Lai

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
It simply, once you type the name or number,, the recent list will shown, and you just need to touch on the arrow of the name you wanted to delete. A new screen will show the detail of that contact, below it you will see the delete contact from recent.

Partho Chatterjee

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
For recent contacts in your text history first go in setting-manage applications-then select the running tab--scroll down and select dialer storage--select clear data and delete

Lars Wedde

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Can you please post the screen shots of where you select "clear data and delete". I am not able to find any settings like you describe, but desperately wants to get rid of these phantom entries without resetting my device.

Last edited:

Partho Chatterjee

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
First Open iTunes and connect your Phone click on contacts, then select synchronize contacts once you synched, go to contacts and "+" sign will be appear you to edit them

mp4man

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Delete all content and settings.

I tried my title and that's a bunch of b*llsh*t. It does nothing to solve the problem. The fortunate thing for me is I have another I device so I can restore it without backup. Just save your contacts on the other device, and everything else on iCloud. It's a little more complicated though..... After you restore without backup, you need to erase all content and settings. THEN! And only then, you might be able to fix the problem. But, your iCloud my still keep that, therefor syncing it back on your phone. But it's worth a shot!

Michael 1965

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have. iPhone 4S. The same thing happens to me. Have you been able to figure out how to resolve your situation? BTW, I want to get rid of my ex GF's number. Kinda a drag, huh?

:)
Mike

katieje

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You can actually delete recent email addresses if you download the tips and tricks app it tells you how to do it, but it says nothing about how to remove a recent number. I know how it comes up I type in my friends name lyn and then it also comes up with the number for someone I previously had saved as lyns friend Blake she saved the number to text this person and now I have deleted it, every time I type in the letter L for a number to text this number comes up.

Angus Hairston

May 14, 2013
Visit site
1. Go to contacts
2. Type number in search box
3. Go to arrow
4. Scroll down and delete contact
Don't not restore phone that's crazy, don't listen to these other people.
Hope I helped

andyb2013

May 27, 2013
Visit site
1. Go to contacts
3. Go to arrow
Don't not restore phone that's crazy, don't listen to these other people.
Hope I helped

I have a iphone 4s and cant figure this out? Got to contacts in settings or phone book? And where is this arrow thingy?
Go to contacts
3. Go to arrow

Cheers,

Andy

stuckhere972

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and its driving me crazy. I just did a factory restore not to long ago because I had a software bug on my iPhone 4 and the only way to get rid of it is to set it up as a new device which sucks because I lost all my game data even though it was synced with iCloud. It was so nice to have those annoying "other + number" gone but of course I have new ones now.
I thought it might have been because of the contact backup app I use but its not and I've tried everything suggested bit none of it works so I guess I just have to live with it even though I have tons of numbers there from texting people on Craigslist, fun stuff.
I did want to tell you that the contact backup app I have is awesome and thought I'd share it with you because you can even download the app to other devices that have Android and copy all your contacts with all their info and even contact pictures on to the device.
It's called PhoneCopy. Every time you add a contact, change the contacts info, picture, even delete a contact, etc then you just to to it and it shows how many changes have been made and hit sync and it takes a few seconds and its done! None of the emailing the contacts to email address. You do have to set up an account but its really easy and its great! I even put it on my dads iPhone and told my boyfriend he should put it on his that's Android and its a good thing he did because he had to switch to a new carrier and all he had to do was download the app, login, sync and ta da! Even though I have my contacts backed up else where as well I don't sync them to there often so this is my safety net. The only thing that I don't like is when you added them back on an iPhone the contact picture is really small and at the top but if you go to the contacts with pictures just hit Edit Photo and when it pulls up just save it and its back to normal size. I guess it's done that way incase you have a lot of contacts to save room but over all I think it's worth it.
Now, I just hope we can fix this annoying deleted numbers issue. Blah!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR