Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    iPhone Beginner

Default Re: How do you delete recent contacts in your text history

See my post above cynrod12 for the solution
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts

Open Messages, Edit, Delete
    iPhone Nanite

It simply, once you type the name or number,, the recent list will shown, and you just need to touch on the arrow of the name you wanted to delete. A new screen will show the detail of that contact, below it you will see the delete contact from recent.
    Thanked by:
    Sherry Fischer (04-03-2014)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

For recent contacts in your text history first go in setting-manage applications-then select the running tab--scroll down and select dialer storage--select clear data and delete
    iPhone Nanite

Can you please post the screen shots of where you select "clear data and delete". I am not able to find any settings like you describe, but desperately wants to get rid of these phantom entries without resetting my device.
    Last edited by Lars Wedde; 04-14-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

That's the problem with my iPhone too, even after deleting some of the contacts, they show up again.
    iPhone Nanite

that doesn't work restoring it :/
    i have the same problem and its bugging the life out of me
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

First Open iTunes and connect your Phone click on contacts, then select synchronize contacts once you synched, go to contacts and "+" sign will be appear you to edit them
    iPhone Nanite

Default Delete all content and settings.

I tried my title and that's a bunch of b*llsh*t. It does nothing to solve the problem. The fortunate thing for me is I have another I device so I can restore it without backup. Just save your contacts on the other device, and everything else on iCloud. It's a little more complicated though..... After you restore without backup, you need to erase all content and settings. THEN! And only then, you might be able to fix the problem. But, your iCloud my still keep that, therefor syncing it back on your phone. But it's worth a shot!
    iPhone Nanite

I have. iPhone 4S. The same thing happens to me. Have you been able to figure out how to resolve your situation? BTW, I want to get rid of my ex GF's number. Kinda a drag, huh?

:-)
    Mike
    iPhone Nanite

You can actually delete recent email addresses if you download the tips and tricks app it tells you how to do it, but it says nothing about how to remove a recent number. I know how it comes up I type in my friends name lyn and then it also comes up with the number for someone I previously had saved as lyns friend Blake she saved the number to text this person and now I have deleted it, every time I type in the letter L for a number to text this number comes up.
    iPhone Nanite

1. Go to contacts
    2. Type number in search box
    3. Go to arrow
    4. Scroll down and delete contact
    Don't not restore phone that's crazy, don't listen to these other people.
    Hope I helped
    iPhone Nanite

OK. Iphone 4s. Followed your destructions but, settings, contacts, type number click arrow? Where is the arrow?cant find it?
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hairston View Post
    1. Go to contacts
    3. Go to arrow
    Don't not restore phone that's crazy, don't listen to these other people.
    Hope I helped
    I have a iphone 4s and cant figure this out? Got to contacts in settings or phone book? And where is this arrow thingy?
    Go to contacts
    3. Go to arrow

Cheers,

Andy
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I'm having the same issue and its driving me crazy. I just did a factory restore not to long ago because I had a software bug on my iPhone 4 and the only way to get rid of it is to set it up as a new device which sucks because I lost all my game data even though it was synced with iCloud. It was so nice to have those annoying "other + number" gone but of course I have new ones now.
    I thought it might have been because of the contact backup app I use but its not and I've tried everything suggested bit none of it works so I guess I just have to live with it even though I have tons of numbers there from texting people on Craigslist, fun stuff.
    I did want to tell you that the contact backup app I have is awesome and thought I'd share it with you because you can even download the app to other devices that have Android and copy all your contacts with all their info and even contact pictures on to the device.
    It's called PhoneCopy. Every time you add a contact, change the contacts info, picture, even delete a contact, etc then you just to to it and it shows how many changes have been made and hit sync and it takes a few seconds and its done! None of the emailing the contacts to email address. You do have to set up an account but its really easy and its great! I even put it on my dads iPhone and told my boyfriend he should put it on his that's Android and its a good thing he did because he had to switch to a new carrier and all he had to do was download the app, login, sync and ta da! Even though I have my contacts backed up else where as well I don't sync them to there often so this is my safety net. The only thing that I don't like is when you added them back on an iPhone the contact picture is really small and at the top but if you go to the contacts with pictures just hit Edit Photo and when it pulls up just save it and its back to normal size. I guess it's done that way incase you have a lot of contacts to save room but over all I think it's worth it.
    Now, I just hope we can fix this annoying deleted numbers issue. Blah!
    iPhone Nanite

Really is this the only way?
    Can you please email me or PM about this because it doesn't make sense why deleted contacts show up in the text list.
    iPhone Nanite

I would like to know the same thing. I am tired of my phone popping up my boyfriends old number although I deleted it and it sends my text to his old number therefore he doesn't receive my text so it brings a lot of confusion
    iPhone Nanite

Hi
    I'm having the very same problem. There must be a way, perhaps call your network provider or apple care if you have it, to see if theres a way to cure the problem. Im not happy with it, if I delet a contact I want it gone!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Doesn't everybody think this is quite ridiculous...why is it such a problem to remove these unwanted #'s from our phones. It is very annoying. On multiple occasions I have mistakenly chosen an unwanted "other" number and had to resend my message. Blows me away that this is even an issue :-(
    Last edited by MrMars; 06-22-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

Does anyone know if the problem also exists on iPhone 5? I have it with my iphone 4 and it drives me crazy. It really makes me reconsider another iPhone until they fix the glitch. I don't think it can be fixed. I have taken my phone to an iPhone tech person and after much investigation he said the only way to get rid of unwanted contacts is to have the phone stripped and reset up as new not using I cloud. Shame on you Apple.
    iPhone Nanite

<sigh> I have the iPhone 5 and unfortunately, it's still an issue.. I really need to get rid of this number ;(
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by sokrmom View Post
    Does anyone know if the problem also exists on iPhone 5? I have it with my iphone 4 and it drives me crazy. It really makes me reconsider another iPhone until they fix the glitch. I don't think it can be fixed. I have taken my phone to an iPhone tech person and after much investigation he said the only way to get rid of unwanted contacts is to have the phone stripped and reset up as new not using I cloud. Shame on you Apple.
    It does also exist on the iPhone 5. It was driving me nuts. I ended up doing a "restore as new" on my iPhone 5
    And that solved the problem. Kind of nice feeling knowing I did some house cleaning on my phone. I only wish there were a way to restore all the saved destinations I had in Apple Maps :-/
    iPhone Nanite

I have the solution:

Update to iOS 7 Beta 2, when a recent contact shows up, it has an 'i' next to it. When you click on the 'i' that will give you an option to 'Remove from recent contact' and it's gone forever.

I've been trying to find a solution for a LONG time now and I've look at many forum threads on this subject. No other way to do it, except through iOS 7 Beta 2.
    Thanked by:
    sj-performance (08-18-2013)
    Heisenberg likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

I have an 1
    iPhone 4S and same prob. Deleted the contact, deleted all the conversation threads with him in it, but he still shows up when texting as "other." My prob is I sometimes select his name and it is a wrong number. So for all of you with Ex's whose names you don't want to see a possible go around is to add that number back into your contacts but just name it something different. Ie name it zzz. Then you'll never see it. Or name it something else, but then you'll probably just prolong your own bad feelings. That's my best solution.
    iPhone Nanite

how do i get to delete numbers from my phone , if i delete a number and when i go in to send a txt and type a name in and the number i deleted comes back up , how do i permanently delete it
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast