"Other" taking up too much space

krisnrandall

May 22, 2013
Visit site
having same issue. ended up doing a complete restore, so there is NOTHNG on it--NO texts, email, websites, apps, etc. 6.6 gigs of 8 gigs of space being used by "other." I then tried restoring to backup, and it tells me there was an error. I've tried this many times. at a loss right now. help?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
having same issue. ended up doing a complete restore, so there is NOTHNG on it--NO texts, email, websites, apps, etc. 6.6 gigs of 8 gigs of space being used by "other." I then tried restoring to backup, and it tells me there was an error. I've tried this many times. at a loss right now. help?

Do this: Attach your i-device to your computer (Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet), fire up iTunes and then put your device in DFU Mode. iTunes should detect that your device is in recovery mode and prompt you to restore. Go ahead and select restore. Your i-device will be completely wiped and a fresh new install of the latest iOS version will be installed. When complete, set up your device as new.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 64gb jail broken 5. I noticed the other day that 14gb is taken up by 'other' and about fell over. So, I have:
- deleted all text messages
- deleted all safari cache and history
- deleted email account and reinstalled
- ran icleaner

This freed up just under 3Gb but that leaves 11gb still being used. What the heck. Seems like my only other option is a restore but that would kill my JB so I guess I'm stuck. Frustrating.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a 64gb jail broken 5. I noticed the other day that 14gb is taken up by 'other' and about fell over. So, I have:
- deleted all text messages
- deleted all safari cache and history
- deleted email account and reinstalled
- ran icleaner

This freed up just under 3Gb but that leaves 11gb still being used. What the heck. Seems like my only other option is a restore but that would kill my JB so I guess I'm stuck. Frustrating.

I believe that if you are jailbroken, that the JB stuff accounts for a big part of the "other"...

ablopeztwan

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Sorry. I know this appears to be an old thread but I've had this problem from time to time with various generations of the iPhone. The latest was my 128gb iPhone 6 was showing 83gb of "other". I've always just unplugged the phone, closed iTunes, and did a hard reset of the phone (hold power and home button until the apple logo appears). Plug your phone back in and open iTunes. Presto... all the "other" is gone. No manual deleting, no special software. Hope this helps other people.