Nonsensical iOS behaviors

cocochannel

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I know most people just keep the phone in portrait mode when taping a video but you gotta put it in landscape for it to fit a TV screen and take advantage of the HD 1080p.

Now my problem is the sensor is not connected to the camera so if you dont tape in side that was deemed as correct by Apple it will show to your screen reverted.

It should be that whether you have your home button to the right or left, your phone should remember the side you picked as the "right one" and make the file in that direction.

I am a righty and having the home button to the left is really confusing for me. I am not saying apple should change the direction to which the control should stay (on the left) but have it to switch automatically on the side we switch the phone. Or if you wanna keep it that way, put on a icon showing which one is the correct side.

Another thing now is since the headphone jack is at the bottom, the music player could just switch if you put the phone reverted. so for the gym heads with their phone on the trademill they could see the artcover and title in the correct direction.

I really think Apple should fix this. Anything else?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Huh? The camera orients itself no matter which way you hold it...and the video that is saved and/or uploaded comes out properly regardless. Im totally confused by your "issue".

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know most people just keep the phone in portrait mode when taping a video but you gotta put it in landscape for it to fit a TV screen and take advantage of the HD 1080p.

Now my problem is the sensor is not connected to the camera so if you dont tape in side that was deemed as correct by Apple it will show to your screen reverted.

It should be that whether you have your home button to the right or left, your phone should remember the side you picked as the "right one" and make the file in that direction.

I am a righty and having the home button to the left is really confusing for me. I am not saying apple should change the direction to which the control should stay (on the left) but have it to switch automatically on the side we switch the phone. Or if you wanna keep it that way, put on a icon showing which one is the correct side.

Another thing now is since the headphone jack is at the bottom, the music player could just switch if you put the phone reverted. so for the gym heads with their phone on the trademill they could see the artcover and title in the correct direction.

I really think Apple should fix this. Anything else?

I have to say that I have for the first time in a long time have no idea what you are talking about and you are very confusing. Please go to Apple.com and then support. Go to manuals and download the PDF file on your IOS or phone and read how to take videos and even do a search on iMore to see suggestions on taking great videos with your phone.

Huh? The camera orients itself no matter which way you hold it...and the video that is saved and/or uploaded comes out properly regardless. Im totally confused by your "issue".

I agree 100% with Sean that what he is stating is true and how your hold your phone has nothing to do with anything. Best of luck in learning how to shoot videos with your iPhone.

cocochannel

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
You guys dont understand. The screen orients itself while recording yes. but once you upload on a computer/youtube if you did not have the phone with the home button on the left it will show the video upside down on the computer

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You guys dont understand. The screen orients itself while recording yes. but once you upload on a computer/youtube if you did not have the phone with the home button on the left it will show the video upside down on the computer

Yes, that's pretty common and annoying but you should be able to rotate it on your pc. I do agree that it would be great if the phone handled that on its own.

Last edited:

andykan

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You need to know that once you start recording your video you won't be able to change the orientation anymore. If you started with the home button on the right side, keep it that way throughout filming. You can choose whether to have the home button on the left or right, the phone will automatically orient itself, but do note that you can only do this BEFORE you start recording.

Hoped this sort of enlightened or helped you in some way.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The post recording orientation is more a Windows issue. For some reason Windows doesn't pick up the orientation.