Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Default Apple care on the 5 worth it?

Im debating on getting the apple care+ for a 32gb iphone 5 i just got, just not sure if its worth it or not or should i go with insurance through verizon? Any suggestions
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Default Re: Apple care on the 5 worth it?

I love apple care, $ 50 and you get a brand new ( not refurbished ) phone, 2 claims allowed. I use one even if I scratch the phone. I just tell apple the battery is no good and they swap out the phone no questions asked and it covers water damage
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

yeah thats what i was leaning towards, the only thing it doesnt cover would be loss or theft but i have an my old i phone 4 as a back up which i hope to never have to use lol. The only thing that had me thinking though is it prob only makes sense for water damage because the front glass is alot easier to swap out which would prob be cheaper than the 50 deductible
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes it is.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    730 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios 6

i bought my iphone5 at best buy and they didn't offer me apple care,but they did offer me there warranty and i didn't take it. is it still possible to get the apple care some how?
    thanks
    iPhone 6 space grey 64gb
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by den124 View Post
    Im debating on getting the apple care+ for a 32gb iphone 5 i just got, just not sure if its worth it or not or should i go with insurance through verizon? Any suggestions
    It's an insurance policy of sorts... and all insurance is about risk. Are you "accident prone"? Do you drop your phone often? There are many reasons why you may/may not want to purchase insurance, but as insurance policies go, AppleCare+ is the best, IMHO. If covers everything except lost/stolen devices... and the replacement deductible, as others have already said us $49 for a new device.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk apple View Post
    i bought my iphone5 at best buy and they didn't offer me apple care,but they did offer me there warranty and i didn't take it. is it still possible to get the apple care some how?
    thanks
    If you're within the first 30 days of purchase (release date was 9/24, so you may not be)... just make an appointment at an Apple Store Genius Bar for an inspection and yes, you can get it.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

You have 30 days to get apple care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 64 GB iPad Air - 64 GB iPad Mini 3 - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

I thought that replacing the front glass was expensive ..... like over $ 150..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,516 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Not for me...but might be for you. It's hard to answer whether something is worth it to someone besides yourself. I've never bought Apple Care on my iPhone's, but if you're buying a Macbook, i HIGHLY recommend it.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

I didn't purchase the AppleCare+ when I bought my iPhone 5 online, but ran over to the Apple Store a few days after I received the phone to buy the protection. This is all because I believe in Karma and other forces of nature, and know damn well that because I bought the insurance, nothing will ever happen to my iPhone. If I didn't get the insurance, a mysterious wind will knock the iPhone right out of my hand into the crocodile pit at the zoo or something. But I digress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apple care on the 5 worth it?-earl.jpg  
    iPhone 5 - Black/Graphite 16 gb VZW
    iPad 2 - Black 16 gb wifi
    iPhone 3G - Black 16 gb AT&T (Did they even have white? - YES, according to ghostface147)
    iPod Photo - White 60 gb
    iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (1 gb) - Silver
    iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (2 gb) - Blue
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen (8 gb) - cracked screen, need to fix
    iPod Touch 4th Gen (8 gb) - Black
    iPod Touch 4th Gen (8 gb) - White
    Somehow have managed to never used a Mac. Weird.
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Shulaw1999 View Post
    I didn't purchase the AppleCare+ when I bought my iPhone 5 online, but ran over to the Apple Store a few days after I received the phone to buy the protection. This is all because I believe in Karma and other forces of nature, and know damn well that because I bought the insurance, nothing will ever happen to my iPhone. If I didn't get the insurance, a mysterious wind will knock the iPhone right out of my hand into the crocodile pit at the zoo or something. But I digress.
    You know that losing your phone in a crocodile pit at the zoo won't be covered with AppleCare+ unless you retrieve the phone, right? Doesn't cover lost or stolen devices. But I assume that phones damaged by crocodile saliva/feces would be a covered occurrence, so long as you deliver the damaged phone to an Apple Store Genius Bar.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    You know that losing your phone in a crocodile pit at the zoo won't be covered with AppleCare+ unless you retrieve the phone, right? Doesn't cover lost or stolen devices. But I assume that phones damaged by crocodile saliva/feces would be a covered occurrence, so long as you deliver the damaged phone to an Apple Store Genius Bar.
    Oh, I'd jump in and gut that bad boy to get it back. It is an iPhone 5 after all. But that was my point. Because I went and added AppleCare+, the whole crocodile scenario won't happen. If I went without the insurance, then you'd see a news report about some insane guy in NJ attacking a crocodile for a phone.
    iPhone 3G - Black 16 gb AT&T (Did they even have white? - YES, according to ghostface147)
    iPod Photo - White 60 gb
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Shulaw1999 View Post
    Oh, I'd jump in and gut that bad boy to get it back. It is an iPhone 5 after all. But that was my point. Because I went and added AppleCare+, the whole crocodile scenario won't happen. If I went without the insurance, then you'd see a news report about some insane guy in NJ attacking a crocodile for a phone.
    Yeah, I hear that... and thanks for a morning chuckle...
    Shulaw1999 likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

went with the apple care, decided the 100 bucks was worth the piece of mind
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

The closest apple store is about a 2 of 3 hour drive from where I live. Can I still use or get apple care?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    The closest apple store is about a 2 of 3 hour drive from where I live. Can I still use or get apple care?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Not sure, but I think you need to go to the store to make it happen. Even though I only had the phone for 2 days, a Genius had to inspect the phone for damage, including pulling out the SIM card to make sure no water damage, etc. Just like when you get car insurance - they need to make sure you aren't trying to pull a fast one and trying to add insurance after the damage is already done.
    iPod Photo - White 60 gb
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

i change my phone every year so no
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I'm trusting myself. I currently have my black 32 GB iPhone 5 tucked in an Otterbox defender case. It has a screen protector on it because of that, is somewhat water resistant, & I know it won't get damaged if I drop it. I was very good with my old iPhone 4. Barely dropped it but it too was in an Otterbox defender case. When I took it out of it's case when I got the 5 there wasn't a scratch or dent on it.Those cases are very reliable so if you want your phone to be protected but not sure about Apple care I suggest an Otterbox case. You can get good deals on Amazon & I'm sure even better ones once Cyber Monday comes around.
    iPhone Intermediate

100$ for peace of mind.... I have mine in otterbox defender case but I still got it so I feel BulletProof!!.... It's transferable too. So it has a better resale value too.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I called AppleCare on the phone to see if I could get AppleCare + since I bought the phone on eBay. They determined that it had originally been purchased less than 30 days ago so I was able to get coverage over the phone without having to take it to an Apple store for examination.
    iPhone Newbie

Dammit!! I knew the Apple Store Genius just wanted to get his grubby hands on my sexy iphone 5. I feel dirty now.
    iPod Photo - White 60 gb
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

It's 50/50 for me. Great if something does happen not if nothing happens to your phone and just spent $100 for nothing. I say it's good if you are keeping your phone for 2+ years. I upgrade every year so no point of apple care for me. $229 without apple care to replace if something happen which is only $80 more if you do have apple care ($100 fee + $50 replacement). If nothing happens to my phone then I just lost $100!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    811 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    I love apple care, $ 50 and you get a brand new ( not refurbished ) phone, 2 claims allowed. I use one even if I scratch the phone. I just tell apple the battery is no good and they swap out the phone no questions asked and it covers water damage
    does it say anywhere in their info that it's "brand new"? they swap it out sure, but I don't know that they're always going to be brand new. They come in their own box w/o accessories, cords, etc. Also the $50 is for accidental claims, ie drops, water, etc. if it's warranty you're not limited to two.

I have it on mine. Didn't on my first phone (original iPhone) and had to pay $200 to replace it when something went funky after the first year. Got it on my second one (iPhone 4) and used it while on vacation when my power button flaked out. We just went to the local Apple store and they swapped it out. iCloud brought it back to life
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    Follow me on twitter | Follow me on instagram
    iMore Intermediate

I think it's worth it. I never got it before and never had any major breakage, but......I have it now and I feel a lot better. I feel like I don't need a case now and can always replace the phone for $50.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I didn't get apple care. I'm living dangerously. I have no case on it either. I'm waiting for the hurricane to pass so I can go out and buy one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast