Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Apple care on the 5 worth it?

I bought one because no matter how hard I try I know I will drop it.

I'd Rather have it and not need it then ....we'll you get the idea
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Apple Care+ doesn't cover water damage. Make sure you read the details. I've always had AC for peace of mind.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Apple care on the 5 worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin3191 View Post
    Apple Care+ doesn't cover water damage. Make sure you read the details. I've always had AC for peace of mind.
    AC does not cover water IMMERSION but does cover water damage. I guess the genius gets to decide the difference. Just don't tell them about the crocodile.

I decided to try the Best Buy plan. Have a 64gb wifi. With no deductible and unlimited claims I am going to try and go naked. ( only one battery replacement ). BB will give you a loaner phone for the 3-5 days for repair, but I will just revoke my i4 back from my son until it is fixed. Hope it works out.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If someone is charging you $150 to replace the front screen, that is crazy. I had a friend replace mine, parts cost $30. So I would think labor included no more expensive than $50 to replace it. It didn't take my friend who replaced my broken screen long at all... I know there are tutorials on how to replace it yourself online, just order the parts
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,002 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Not for me...but might be for you. It's hard to answer whether something is worth it to someone besides yourself. I've never bought Apple Care on my iPhone's, but if you're buying a Macbook, i HIGHLY recommend it.

Totally agree. Very much worth it on the Macbooks.
    eye4ni likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

most definitely worth it. you may be able to get repairs done for a similar price elsewhere but the warranty coverage on any hardware defects is what i appreciate the most. volume button issue? power button issue? home button issue? screen issue? Just walk in and walk out with a fully functioning one!
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

I didn't get the apple care or apple care+. I dropped my phone from about 1ft off the ground yesterday and it made a hair line crack in the upper left corner about 2 inches long. I had a rocketfish case on it. It is small and doesn't cover the front. I think it pancaked on the floor and sharp piece of debris cracked the screen.

I took it to the apple store and the check in guy said it would be $199 to replace the phone and to wait for the "Genius" to come out. He came out and took a look and said it didn't look like it was dropped. So he replaced it for free.

This is the first time I have broken a screen on any of my phones. I am glad I didn't pay for the apple care. I would rather take the chance and pay the $199 if I need it. It is only $50 more than if I had bought the apple care at the get go. I also found out that in the same mall I was at there was a store called iFixit iRepair. They would have fixed the screen for $150 which is the same as the apple care warranty. So if it happens again and apple doesn't fix for free I would take it to the mall store or just fix it myself.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I already bought a cheap replacement screen on standby. If I break it I can replace it asap only cost $40. if i never use it then i will buy a cracked screen iphone and make it aprofit
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    777 Global Posts

Its $50 per incident that is not covered by warranty. Not $150. Make sure u get applecare + for 4s and 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    I didn't get the apple care or apple care+. I dropped my phone from about 1ft off the ground yesterday and it made a hair line crack in the upper left corner about 2 inches long. I had a rocketfish case on it. It is small and doesn't cover the front. I think it pancaked on the floor and sharp piece of debris cracked the screen.

I took it to the apple store and the check in guy said it would be $199 to replace the phone and to wait for the "Genius" to come out. He came out and took a look and said it didn't look like it was dropped. So he replaced it for free.

This is the first time I have broken a screen on any of my phones. I am glad I didn't pay for the apple care. I would rather take the chance and pay the $199 if I need it. It is only $50 more than if I had bought the apple care at the get go. I also found out that in the same mall I was at there was a store called iFixit iRepair. They would have fixed the screen for $150 which is the same as the apple care warranty. So if it happens again and apple doesn't fix for free I would take it to the mall store or just fix it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by auditman View Post
    Its $50 per incident that is not covered by warranty. Not $150. Make sure u get applecare + for 4s and 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The point that mabmarc was making was that the AppleCare+ cost $99 and the replacement under AC+ for physical damage replacement is $49 ... meaning that if he had bought AC+ and replaced his phone under its provision, he would have spent $150 (actually $148, but we’re rounding up)... by NOT buying AC+, if Apple had charged him for the replacement/repair, their cost would have been $199... net difference of $50 (actually $51 without the rounding issue)... so by NOT buying AC+, he was simply risking having to spend an extra $50 at the time he got the repair/replacement done. As it is, he saved the full $199...

Remember, AC+ is simply an insurance policy... and all insurance is based on risk/probability that you will do something that will make that investment worthwhile. In a nutshell, you are betting $148 that YOU WILL destroy or damage your phone within the first 2 years...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by auditman View Post
    Their comparison included the $100 cost for AC+
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    iPhone Beginner

Each are different. The insurance is good for theft or your phone being lost. The care is if you phone is damage or hardware problems.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    The point that mabmarc was making was that the AppleCare+ cost $99 and the replacement under AC+ for physical damage replacement is $49 ... meaning that if he had bought AC+ and replaced his phone under its provision, he would have spent $150 (actually $148, but we’re rounding up)... by NOT buying AC+, if Apple had charged him for the replacement/repair, their cost would have been $199... net difference of $50 (actually $51 without the rounding issue)... so by NOT buying AC+, he was simply risking having to spend an extra $50 at the time he got the repair/replacement done. As it is, he saved the full $199...

Remember, AC+ is simply an insurance policy... and all insurance is based on risk/probability that you will do something that will make that investment worthwhile. In a nutshell, you are betting $148 that YOU WILL destroy or damage your phone within the first 2 years...
    Just to add......
    I believe the $199 price to repair is the price for 16gb model. It goes up if you have higher capacity models.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

AC for MacBook/ iMac. For iPhone 5 I use Verizon's insurance at 10$ a month. Now they will attempt to give you a "refurb" for replacement, all you need to do is contact loyalty number (different from CS) tell them what's going on etc... And get a new one sealed
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I still swear by SquareTrade. $99 for two years - or get a 3 year warranty for $129. Up to 4 repairs/replacements. Now they'll allow you to take your phone to an Apple store for service, so it's win/win. And that includes drops and spills.

No, I'm not affiliated with them. Just appreciate a great company.

Want $10 off your warranty? Referrals Landing | SquareTrade
    SeanHRCC likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I still swear by SquareTrade. $99 for two years - or get a 3 year warranty for $129. Up to 4 repairs/replacements. Now they'll allow you to take your phone to an Apple store for service, so it's win/win. And that includes drops and spills.

110% agree with this...i have square trade on two of my TV's at home, my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and plan to get it on the next macbook pro i buy.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post

Wonder how long reimbursement takes and if they will deny anything.

via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    Wonder how long reimbursement takes and if they will deny anything.

via Tapatalk
    As far as i can tell, they really don't deny anything besides theft or a lost device (obviously)...I know with the TV's (and I'm assuming with all products), they will route you through the manufacturer's warranty while it is within that period (usually a year) and then afterwards, they essentially match the manufacturer warranty unless the repair costs more than it's worth to ship to and from and fix, then they just replace the unit with a like model (with TV's, if the TV is not available anymore, they replace with up to a model year newer or give you a full purchase price refund). We've yet to have to use the warranties on anything yet, but besides Apple's own warranties, I've not found a higher rated warranty service anywhere.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I've sent them a camcorder, two Android phones, and a laptop. They've repaired all of them, no questions. The laptop they actually repaired twice. They practically rebuilt it.

Global Posts
    4,246 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I got my iPhone 5 about a month ago and purchased the Apple Care+
    It's worth it considering I've already dropped the phone a few times.
    I got cracks on the back of the phone. The bottom portion of the glass.
    The phone is fine itself, but, it's good that I got that AppleCare. As someone
    already mentioned, it's about how accident prone you think you are with
    your devices.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12