Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Is the wireless always used first?

If I have the wireless turned on, will it try to use wireless before the cell signal? I don't use the wireless often because I have an unlimited plan through my place of employment. I do turn it on sometimes because larger apps (50mb I think) require it for download. I have noticed that if I have it on and am in the office, I will get slow connection and often error out because I think it is trying to use the WIFI from the other side of the office. Can anyone confirm this? Can I do anything about it? I know, I know, make sure to turn off the WIFI.

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default Re: Is the wireless always used first?

Whenever I am somewhere with wireless that I have previously connected to, it will automatically connect to that wifi again. Always has done on all my Apple devices from previous iPhones to iPads.

Short of turning wifi off, you can set it to ask you if you want to join the wifi network in range and you can select 'no'.

Only way to do it, I believe.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Yup. Wifi always comes first. I know you mentioned it. But is probably easier to keep wifi off since your wifi is not reliable and only turn it on when you download something over 50mb. Is not like you're always downloading apps/games.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,961 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I'm really beginning to wonder the same thing...I've noticed data usage on my phone when I've sat at home in WiFi all day (75% usage notifications, etc). I actually called AT&T to ask them because i was concerned my iP5 was not connecting to WiFi properly, but ended up hanging up on the guy because he sounded like english was his 3rd language, lol.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

Default Is the wireless always used first?

When the iPhone is in sleep mode, I was told that it uses the network data. So anything that is pushed to your phone will be done via the network. Why that is the case, I have no idea. So I guess wifi isn't always used first.