ATT iPhone 5 on Tmobile?

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
So I have Tmobile who obviously doesn't carry any iphones. I could buy one outright from Apple ($649) or ebay ($1000).

I did this a long time ago, so I'm wondering if I still could. Something like I got a pay as you go plan with ATT and got the phone I wanted, then had it unlocked and used it on Tmo without worrying about a contract with ATT cause I wasn't even using their network.

Would this work for iphone? It'd be nice to only pay $250 like everyone else. :)

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't work. If you want to purchase the iPhone 5 using a Pay as You Go plan through AT&T it will cost you the $649. The only way to get the price to drop to the $200 range is by agreeing to a two-year contract when purchasing the iPhone. If you want it on T Mobile you'll have to buy it outright from the Apple website or get an unlocked one off eBay.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i was afraid of that. thanks though :)

You can buy the iPhone 5 under contract from AT&T, go on eBay and buy an unlock for it, and then use it on Tmobile. You'll still be on the hook for the 2 year contract through AT&T but you could swap plan down to a lower tier plan and just pay the smaller monthly charge (though your savings in the end, if any, would be negligible).

Keep in mind too that Tmobile does not have the proper SIM cards for the iPhone 5, and the phone cannot be used on LTE through Tmobile (for now).

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
i talked to a tmo rep this weekend who said that when they get their LTE coverage for iphone in a few months, they'll have the sim cards too. she said they already have the microsim. isn't that what they use?

and yeah i'm already paying around $100/month for my phone bill...i don't need to add more onto it for two years. i'd end up spending more than getting an unlocked phone

skeets000

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You could open an account with AT&T pay $199 for the iPhone and then cancel your contract and pay the $350 early termination fee. This would probably be the cheapest way to get an iPhone off contract. You would then have to get one of the ebay unlocks for about $8-$15. I would save you about $85, I have never done this so I'm not sure if it would work.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
i've heard those ebay unlocks or ones from 3rd party cell retailers don't work. as in, when you turn off the phone, it relocks. isn't it "safer" to get it factory unlocked?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think you'd still be stuck on EDGE, let alone still not having LTE.
I believe that T-Mobile is still using different 3G bands than AT&T does.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i've heard those ebay unlocks or ones from 3rd party cell retailers don't work. as in, when you turn off the phone, it relocks. isn't it "safer" to get it factory unlocked?

No the unlocks are processed by apple so they are legit

iPhone 5 uses nano sims not micro ... So tmobile has to get those sims ...
I would also take the getting LTE in a couple months lightly I don't be leave nothing till it happens ...

You best bet is to buy one and sign a contact you say you pay 100 a month already that is the cost of a couple carriers for a single line any ways

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

See my thread here for a link to a great eBay iPhone unlocker. http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-forum/241800-anyone-else-unlock-their-iphone-5-yet.html

Once unlocked, your iPhone 5 is permanently unlocked. I used this eBay seller a few weeks ago and my iPhone 5 is still unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I think you'd still be stuck on EDGE, let alone still not having LTE.
I believe that T-Mobile is still using different 3G bands than AT&T does.

As of now they are refarming their HSPA+ to work on the iPhone(1900mhz PCS Bands specifically) but they have only officially announced 2 cities it is complete in afaik, but many markets are seeing it before any official announcement. A good website to check your area is airportal.de. It is unofficial and relies on user submissions but gives a good idea of where the process has been started.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal