iPhone 5 (verizon) doesn't like staying on WiFi...

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface by saying that I've never had an iPhone before, but I've used an iPod Touch and iPad since their respective release dates. But, it seems like my iPhone likes to stay on LTE and not use WiFi. I connect it, and it works perfectly, but when I lock the phone and then unlock it, it looses the wifi connection and won't reconnect automatically (i need to go to settings and re-connect manually). Both my iPad (which is LTE verizon also) and my iPod Touch will connect automatically as soon as I unlock the device.

I'm not big into those conspiracy theories... but it's like Verizon wants me to use up my data, so it won't auto connect me to WiFi... quite an annoying issue.

is this normal for an iPhone? Is this happening to anyone else?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Devinfowlkes15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface by saying that I've never had an iPhone before, but I've used an iPod Touch and iPad since their respective release dates. But, it seems like my iPhone likes to stay on LTE and not use WiFi. I connect it, and it works perfectly, but when I lock the phone and then unlock it, it looses the wifi connection and won't reconnect automatically (i need to go to settings and re-connect manually). Both my iPad (which is LTE verizon also) and my iPod Touch will connect automatically as soon as I unlock the device.

I'm not big into those conspiracy theories... but it's like Verizon wants me to use up my data, so it won't auto connect me to WiFi... quite an annoying issue.

is this normal for an iPhone? Is this happening to anyone else?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I had the same problem , you have to reset your network settings

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
That will do... but first, try putting it in Airplane mode for about 30 seconds... that will force the phone to re-negotiate the connection to the wifi hotspot.

Thanks. I did the reset though (before I saw your post) and it's working; auto-connects to wifi as soon as I turn on the screen.

philipwillbe1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the First post, that, I commented on. I'd just thought I'd say that to get that out of the way. Now, my problem is, that, I wake up my iPhone 5, just by pressing the home button, and, I see, that, it's connected to the Verizon Wireless LTE Network...I unlock it, and, I see it go back to the WiFi, that, should already be connected to, because, I haven't moved...It also did the same thing, when I First got my iPhone 4, on Verizon Wireless...No update's have fixed it...Yet...Does anyone else have this problem? There's also something, that, I'm not so sure sure about...The Community College, that, I go to Has WiFi...My iPhone 4, and, my iPhone 5, both, just very quickly and quietly disconnect. Is there a way to force it to stay on? I don't really care, if it time's me out, but, not every time, I wake it up...That's just to much, and, it takes away from what I'm doing...Does anyone have this problem? Please, let me know. Thank's.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is the First post, that, I commented on. I'd just thought I'd say that to get that out of the way. Now, my problem is, that, I wake up my iPhone 5, just by pressing the home button, and, I see, that, it's connected to the Verizon Wireless LTE Network...I unlock it, and, I see it go back to the WiFi, that, should already be connected to, because, I haven't moved...It also did the same thing, when I First got my iPhone 4, on Verizon Wireless...No update's have fixed it...Yet...Does anyone else have this problem? There's also something, that, I'm not so sure sure about...The Community College, that, I go to Has WiFi...My iPhone 4, and, my iPhone 5, both, just very quickly and quietly disconnect. Is there a way to force it to stay on? I don't really care, if it time's me out, but, not every time, I wake it up...That's just to much, and, it takes away from what I'm doing...Does anyone have this problem? Please, let me know. Thank's.

It's not a problem it's normal and designed this way .. Wifi gos into sleep mode .. If your phone uses data for let's say a email comes it wakes the wifi and uses that for data ..

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Community College, that, I go to Has WiFi...My iPhone 4, and, my iPhone 5, both, just very quickly and quietly disconnect. Is there a way to force it to stay on? I don't really care, if it time's me out, but, not every time, I wake it up...That's just to much, and, it takes away from what I'm doing...Does anyone have this problem? Please, let me know. Thank's.

what you are seeing is not unusual where there are unsecured public access wifi... check with the college IT department and see if there are options for getting a connection that won't time-out as often.

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and noticed a problem like that. I lost my mind and went on a YouTube video watching spree for maybe an hour or so. When I got tired of it I noticed I was kicked off wifi and now on LTE. When I went to reconnect, it did so just fine. Kinda makes you wonder. I've read articles about this happening to Verizon but apparently it can happen to AT&T as well.

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I just solved the same problem on my iPad 3 and my spouse iPhone4. Yes the reset network settings worked, but I had to add my home network manually. Even if your network is in the list that you see, add it by writing your network name and password. Then, go back to setting, and hit the forget this network.

Then when you add your network manually, it will stay on. It worked for me.

philipwillbe1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not a problem it's normal and designed this way .. Wifi gos into sleep mode .. If your phone uses data for let's say a email comes it wakes the wifi and uses that for data ..
But, why does it do it all the time, even for notification's? You have to unlock your iPhone to see the WiFi Network. I forgot to add something, to, that, statement that I made, Sometimes, I have to quickly open the setting's icon, and, then, hit the Home Button. But, with the Bluetooth, symbol, it's always there, if you have the iPhone sleep, and, then, wake it up, it's still there...Why wouldn't/couldn't it be about the same setting's? I know, Apple's Apple, but, still...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just solved the same problem on my iPad 3 and my spouse iPhone4. Yes the reset network settings worked, but I had to add my home network manually. Even if your network is in the list that you see, add it by writing your network name and password. Then, go back to setting, and hit the forget this network.

Then when you add your network manually, it will stay on. It worked for me.

That's exactly how I had to do it for all my wifi networks too.

philipwillbe1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
what you are seeing is not unusual where there are unsecured public access wifi... check with the college IT department and see if there are options for getting a connection that won't time-out as often.
I said something to them, but, They said that it was only for computer's, and Smartphone's aren't really supported...I did explain it to them, that, at least, the iPhone's can, and, do connect to WiFi Network's...They just, sort of looked at me, and, said, not really anything else(They were quiet.)...

- - - Updated - - -

It's not public, Even though, it does probably show up on any device... You have to be a person to go be registered at that school.(/Also be in the District.)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
But, why does it do it all the time, even for notification's? You have to unlock your iPhone to see the WiFi Network. I forgot to add something, to, that, statement that I made, Sometimes, I have to quickly open the setting's icon, and, then, hit the Home Button. But, with the Bluetooth, symbol, it's always there, if you have the iPhone sleep, and, then, wake it up, it's still there...Why wouldn't/couldn't it be about the same setting's? I know, Apple's Apple, but, still...

Blue tooth is always there it's grey when not in use and lights up when connected. ... I'm not sure why with wifi you shouldn't have to go into settings to get it to connect maybe try what others are stating ...

I think it defaults to sleep on wifi to conserve battery

philipwillbe1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Blue tooth is always there it's grey when not in use and lights up when connected. ... I'm not sure why with wifi you shouldn't have to go into settings to get it to connect maybe try what others are stating ...

I think it defaults to sleep on wifi to conserve battery
All I have to do is tap the icon, and, the WiFi symbol just shows up. I hit the Home button, and, it stay's. I looked from where I posted the First Comment, but, I already commented on, those, statement's.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I get this problem on occasion on my Att i5. Sometimes it wont reconnect to wifi after in sleep mode. I am hoping this is one of the wifi fixes in upcoming iOS 6.0.1.

Shulaw1999

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought I saw something a while back that this was a glitch in iOS6. Fix (which worked for me) is to click on the wifi network you want in settings, then click the blue arrow to get to the specific wifi configuration settings, and switch http proxy to "auto". Save it out. I did this with all of the wifi networks I regularly use. Seems to work fine after that. Had to do it with all of my devices that I upgraded to iOS6. Or it could just be a coincidence.

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had this for a while. My 5 connects to wifi but mine seems slower then my laptop or the ipad i used to have. And it seems like after using wifi for a little while it isn't even connected. So turn wifi off, then back on, and it works for a little while again. Very agrivating. But i agree with Garz that it will hopefully be fixed with an update soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had this for a while. My 5 connects to wifi but mine seems slower then my laptop or the ipad i used to have. And it seems like after using wifi for a little while it isn't even connected. So turn wifi off, then back on, and it works for a little while again. Very agrivating. But i agree with Garz that it will hopefully be fixed with an update soon.

pacer783

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
so when does the update come out Ill add that im a noobie with this and it is aggravating and useing up my data I guess I wouldnt care if verizon didnt think their data was made out of gold

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234