How Much Data Does Turn-By-Turn Use?

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm driving down to Los Angeles to pick up my girlfriend in a couple weeks, and I was just curious how much data it would eat if I were to use turn-by-turn the entire way there. I have a 5GB plan on Verizon, and I'm really not thinking it will use all of that, but will it leave me enough data to be comfortable for the rest of the month?

Note, this is NOT asking whether or not Apple Maps will be accurate or not, nor if it will eat my battery. I have a car charger and I have had nothing but good experiences with Apple Maps.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Gps does not use any data. What does use data is the downloading of the maps in certain apps that you use such as the old os5 maps and the new os6 maps app. But since apples new maps app is vector based it shouldn't use that much data. If your really trying to stretch your data then you can cache your whole trip.

1. open maps app at home on wifi
2. zoom in to however close you prefer
3. pan all the way to your destination
4. dont close the maps app in the background

when you wake up in the morning it should be good and ready to go. Or you can do this in the morning to save some stress....

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Gps does not use any data. What does use data is the downloading of the maps in certain apps that you use such as the old os5 maps and the new os6 maps app. But since apples new maps app is vector based it shouldn't use that much data. If your really trying to stretch your data then you can cache your whole trip.

1. open maps app at home on wifi
2. zoom in to however close you prefer
3. pan all the way to your destination
4. dont close the maps app in the background

when you wake up in the morning it should be good and ready to go. Or you can do this in the morning to save some stress....

great idea! thanks!

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Also you don't have to use the turn by turn the entire way.

Again, this isn't about anything other than how much data it uses.

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Turn off the LTE that uses more data.

Also, LTE does not use more data. People use more data when they are using LTE because it's faster so they do more. But LTE uses no more data than 3G or EDGE. (Unless you're streaming video which might stream in HD on LTE)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Again, this isn't about anything other than how much data it uses.

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Also, LTE does not use more data. People use more data when they are using LTE because it's faster so they do more. But LTE uses no more data than 3G or EDGE. (Unless you're streaming video which might stream in HD on LTE)

Ya LTE is just a faster connection to the Internet does not mean it uses more data ... What you do with that connection .... Cough cough stream football lol is what uses more data lol

UnifiedTechs

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Im sure you will be fine, using the standard view (not hybrid or satellite) it forces you to use in routing mode uses surprisingly little data. As stated LTE vs. 3G makes no diffrence.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've not noticed an uptick in data usage when using turn by turn, and I only have 2 gb of data and stream a lot of iheartradio and pandora. You should definitely be fine.

Sharon Pickeral

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Gps most certainly does use data, at least it does on straight talk, and they will shut ur service down! They advertise unlimited but the fine print says different! So I would call whomever it is u have for a provider and ask them!

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah like others have said, it won't use a ton of data. I've used Apple Maps for a trip to Toronto from my house (a 6 hour drive), and it didn't even put a dent in my 6GB/mo allowance. You should be fine.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I used turn by turn the other week on a 2 hour trip. My data usage barely flinched. I doesn't use much at all.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure exactly how much it uses but I used waze for about 8 hours last week ( no apple maps for me I just have an iphone 4) and have listened to pandora/tune in radio for about 10 hours this month plus just everyday usage and I'm only at .801gb out of 2 gb and I have around a week left on my month. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro