Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,899 Global Posts

Default Is anyone else just not thrilled or impressed with the Five?

I don't mean because of glitches, scratches or other problems. Mine works perfect. I have no software or hardware issues. At least not that I am aware of.

I just don't feel as thrilled as I thought I would. Not sure how else to explain it. Not b i t c h ing about the phone. I am content with it I guess. I am just no dancing in the streets over it.

Anyone else??
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Is anyone else just not thrilled or impressed with the Five?

Nope, love it. I've used a family/friends 4S and a 4 a couple times after having the 5 and there is no way I could go back...
    Last edited by SnapThrow; 10-19-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    iMore Newbie

That's why I kept my 4s. Not much of a change to me personally to waste an upgrade on. I'll wait till the next one
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,974 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Absolutely love mine. Can't agree with you at all...this is the best iPhone I've ever had...best phone for that matter.
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Best iPhone hands down.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Definitely in love with the device, but I was a little let down by iOS 6.

Either way, best phone I've owned.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I came from an iPhone 4 (loved my 4), so the iPhone 5 is a major step up! This iPhone has made me feel like a little kid again and I constantly find myself putting the phone down, simply to pick it right back up! I'm just really amazed with this phone and maybe it's because I came from the 4???
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I had the 4 as well so this is a big step up. Love it!
    iMore Intermediate

I also came from an iPhone 4. I actually wasn't expecting it to be much better. It is. I love it and am so happy I decided to upgrade. It's not that is a lot different, it just took the good things about the 4 and made it much better. I couldn't be happier. (I also like it without a case, and think it will be staying that way).
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    I don't mean because of glitches, scratches or other problems. Mine works perfect. I have no software or hardware issues. At least not that I am aware of.

I just don't feel as thrilled as I thought I would. Not sure how else to explain it. Not b i t c h ing about the phone. I am content with it I guess. I am just no dancing in the streets over it.

Anyone else??
    Actually, I am quite happy with the iPhone 5... LTE, bigger screen, lightning connector, iOS 6 enhancements...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So it seems that most people in thins forum upgraded from the iPhone 4. This is, obviously, the best iPhone that Apple has made, but I think the original post was, how does it compare to other (non-Apple) phones and their features.
    iPhone Newbie

I upgraded from the 4S. I can't go back because I like the larger screen and LTE. Other than that, I'm not really thrilled, no
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

It's a crazy good phone. We're you looking for it to change your life?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Upgraded from the Galaxy S II and this is an amazing phone. It's so fast. Everything about it. The time an app loads is amazing, when LTE is on the browsing is amazingly fast. I can pretty much do anything on this phone without any lag. The fact I can listen to music, have email checking in the background, be playing a game and getting texts and you could only tell I'm gaming is so amazing.

It does everything very well.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I get what the OP is saying. While I LOVE my iPhone 5 and also have no issues, it's still not the same feeling as the very first iPhone, or the jump from 3GS to iPhone 4.

BUT it's what we were expecting from all the leaks. The light weight is crazy. The thin design feels real nice especially for one handing. Screen is even more beautiful (better saturation). The 4" is a welcome overdue change - you realize how nice it is when you switch between iPhone 5 optimized apps and those that aren't. That 0.5" makes a BIG difference!

However part of mine still wished there was a bit more revolution in the OS. It still rocks and is the one I prefer overall, but can't help feel a bit envious of the "new" OSes... WP8, BB10, Jelly Bean and soon Key Lime Pie... Granted they needed the updates... But starting to feel a bit let down with iOS. It's polished, and it certainly "works". But I'm craving some "new" from Apple. Tried Jelly Bean and coming running back after even just a few weeks. But that doesn't I wouldn't like a bit more freshness in iOS...
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 (10-20-2012)
    F34R likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Had the 4, 4S and now the 5. Is it curing cancer and saving the whales? No. But I love this phone. The weight alone is huge for me...I wear a suit and put it in the breast pocket and it doesn't feel like a brick like my 4S did. There are many reasons, but I really love this device.
    "People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks...- Brick Tamland"
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,548 Global Posts

It's not the phone. I love the iphone 5. LTE, much faster, more RAM, better quality screen. It's a huge update.

It's a little bit iOS 6. I'd like to see a files app. And a way to manage apps better.

Nope, the part that isn't thrilling me is ecosystem & services. Icloud and all it entails, itunes match, itunes itself, airplay, how the iphone works with apple tv, etc. Hardly any improvements. I haven't bought an app the last few months I had the 4S. I still haven't after getting the iphone 5. There was really no new must have app that either the iphone 5 or iOS 6 made possible. This is the stuff I want. In other words, a more filled in OS and better hardware but nothing I couldn't really do before.

I'm not impressed with windows 8 (the metro part) on the desktop but I am interested in it in terms of mobile. Looking forward to see what they have going later. When windows 8 devices start flying off the shelves, the apps will come.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

Anyone else??
    I think I know where you are coming from. I think this is clearly the best iphone and I think it works extremely well. I love so many things about it, etc. etc. But........I think I am finally bored, if that makes sense. I think I want to try other things and see what else is out there. Perhaps I will find that the grass isn't greener as happens so often in life, but, my desire for a larger screen and different things to do is taking over. I am going to head out to Verizon in the morning and pick up the S3 to mess with. I already know that I like the brightness and colors better on the 5, by far. But I want to try out other things and mess with it a bit. I won't be getting rid of my 5 anytime soon, just in case.

But yeah, between all of the leaks eventually being proven to be true all along, combined with subtle yet important enhancements vs changes, etc I didn't feel much different this time around then I did when the 4S was unveiled.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I love my phone, it is the most beautiful one I have ever purchased and I have not had any of the issues that people have complained about. With that said, IMO no matter what iPhone you're on, other than the body style for the average everyday user will not see any differences in the iOS. I think it's a good and bad thing, I like that I can go from one i device to another without having to learn a bunch of new things but at some point it would be nice to see something really new. I highly doubt if that will happen, if it ain't broke don't fix it seems to be working well for Apple and being honest whatever they put out will sell like hot cakes so why would they spend huge amounts of time and money coming out with a whole new iOS. If and when people stop buying their new products every year with minimal updating that is when we will see a truly new operating system, though with that there will be plenty of people that complain and want the old one back. If it underwhelms you, look into other phones because you might find something you like more but for me I am very happy
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 5 32gb black/slate . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    Eric808 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Much better than my 4s love the new screen and 4g ..and battery life is much better ..

Mostly i like how it just works with music movies games etc ... My 2 year old can operate it so that has to say something for ease of use for a lot of people
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

Please note: the following comments come from the perspective of a former Android user.

The iPhone 5 was the only iPhone I was remotely interested in, because of the larger screen size alone. I had become spoiled by my 4.3" Evo 3D and couldn't imagine going down to a smaller screen (but I can't really go to a larger screen either, between 4" and 4.5" is the butter zone for me personally). I got a chance to play with my mom's iPhone 4 and, while I agree that it is a nice device, I just wasn't interesting in downsizing like that.

The iPhone 5's form factor is pretty much perfect for me. It has a really nice hand-feel and is a pretty spectacular device. I'm very happy with it.

Yes, it is still an "iPhone" experience. But were any of us really expecting anything different? Probably not.

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Tytanious View Post
    So it seems that most people in thins forum upgraded from the iPhone 4. This is, obviously, the best iPhone that Apple has made, but I think the original post was, how does it compare to other (non-Apple) phones and their features.
    I came from a Samsung Galaxy S3 (yes, really) and I far and aware prefer the iPhone 5 for a number of reasons, which I have happily laid out in numerous posts on here.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,899 Global Posts

I think a lot of my disenchantment is that I came from several android phones. My last was the HTC Rezound. It is an awesome phone, WHEN IT WORKS! The screen size was great. The LTE speeds were much faster than I am seeing now on the Five. Not sure what's up with that??

But my Rezound (and many others!) kept dropping data connection. After they sent my fourth one, I traded it off for a 16gb iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and two other android phones for that Rezound!

I had been bouncing back n forth between an 8gb iPhone 4 that I had originally got for my wife (she decided to go back to her android phone) and the Rezound. THe Iphone was nice, but Verizon's 3G (at least around here...) sucked big time. Was sooooo slow!

So I switched to the 16gb 4 and used it. But the slow 3G was killing me! There were no other androids I was interested in. And I don't like windows phones. So when he Five came out with LTE, I jumped and got this black 64gb one.

Maybe Verizon's system are slowing down, but I just am not really digging the experience I am having. At work I can't seem to get but 1x if I am lucky. In the building I am in.... If I walk fifty feet over to the door, I get four bars of LTE. But at my work area, not much of anything. The folks on their AT&T iPhones are not having any problems.

I am giving the Five one last chance.... I ordered a sim cutter and it arrives, I am going to grab a Straigt Talk sim for AT&T and try it out. An experiment, if you will. If I can get the 8-9mbps that my AT&T friends are getting on their Fives, I will be satisfied. (No AT&T LTE around here, not that my Five would get it anyway...) I might just make the jump to Straight Talk (or even AT&T ).

Don't even get me started on the whole talk n surf thing! I miss that from my android phones!!!!

Just trying to find a way to make me happy with the Five. As it is currently, I see no real improvements over the 16gb Four I just sold (for $300!!!!!). I mean, the phone might have better hardware, but if it can't get signal, none of that really matters. Does it?

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

I think a lot of my disenchantment is that I came from several android phones. My last was the HTC Rezound. It is an awesome phone, WHEN IT WORKS! The screen size was great. The LTE speeds were much faster than I am seeing now on the Five. Not sure what's up with that??

But my Rezound (and many others!) kept dropping data connection. After they sent my fourth one, I traded it off for a 16gb iPhone 4. I got the iPhone and two other android phones for that Rezound!

I had been bouncing back n forth between an 8gb iPhone 4 that I had originally got for my wife (she decided to go back to her android phone) and the Rezound. THe Iphone was nice, but Verizon's 3G (at least around here...) sucked big time. Was sooooo slow!

So I switched to the 16gb 4 and used it. But the slow 3G was killing me! There were no other androids I was interested in. And I don't like windows phones. So when he Five came out with LTE, I jumped and got this black 64gb one.

Maybe Verizon's system are slowing down, but I just am not really digging the experience I am having. At work I can't seem to get but 1x if I am lucky. In the building I am in.... If I walk fifty feet over to the door, I get four bars of LTE. But at my work area, not much of anything. The folks on their AT&T iPhones are not having any problems.

I am giving the Five one last chance.... I ordered a sim cutter and it arrives, I am going to grab a Straigt Talk sim for AT&T and try it out. An experiment, if you will. If I can get the 8-9mbps that my AT&T friends are getting on their Fives, I will be satisfied. I might just make the jump to Straight Talk (or even AT&T ).

Just trying to find a way to make me happy with the Five. As it is currently, I see no real improvements over the 16gb Four I just sold (for $300!!!!!). I mean, the phone might have better hardware, but if it can't get signal, none of that really matters. Does it?
    It sounds like your issue seems to be more with your carrier rather than with the phone itself?

I'm glad you hit the nail on the head with regards to your experiences with Android though. Reliability is the main reason I dumped my S3 and came back to an iPhone. I just wanted a phone that did what I wanted, when I wanted, and the Samsung couldn't deliver that.
    iPhone Nanite

Verizon's basically doubled the amount of LTE users on their network with the release of the iPhone 5. Any LTE slowdown you are experiencing is more than likely because of that, not because of the phone. Where I used to get 16mb/s download on my Galaxy nexus, I now only get around 8 or 9, and its due to increased traffic.

the iPhone 5 is my first iPhone. I came from the galaxy nexus, which I still have and use occasionally because I like to tinker with android. I will say rather honestly that the biggest factors in my decision to try the iPhone5 out were the 4 inch 16:9 screen and the LTE capability. Had these two things not been introduced I would not have an iPhone in my pocket.

The biggest surprise to me with the new iPhone is the battery life. Anyone who has used the galaxy nexus for a day knows that under heavy usage you are lucky to get 5 hours out of it. While it didnt bother me to the point of disliking the phone, it made me manage my usage. I have not had to do the same with the iPhone 5 at all, not once since the day I set it up. It seems like I can throw anything I do at it and still have enough battery to last until the end of the night and probably the following morning if I forgot to put it on the charger. Granted, I do not do 3d intensive games on the iPhone5, but still I am very impressed with the battery life.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast