AppleCare + versus One Year Warranty

BHMartin

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've never (knock on wood) ever shattered my iPhone screen. I'm confused how AppleCare+ differs from the one year manufacturers warranty. On Apple's website, it shows a bar where AppleCare+ simply extends the warranty by one year. IF I was to shatter my screen on the 5 within the FIRST year, would I be able to either replace for $149 or would it be full price. I'm just trying to make a sane decision because we are getting 3 iPhone 5s... $300 out of pocket is steep.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
AC+ gives you a additional 1 year to your warranty, extends phone support from 90 days to 2 years, and covers physical damage with a $50 deductible. I believe out of warranty replacements with Apple including physical damage is $249 for iPhone 5.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've never (knock on wood) ever shattered my iPhone screen. I'm confused how AppleCare+ differs from the one year manufacturers warranty. On Apple's website, it shows a bar where AppleCare+ simply extends the warranty by one year. IF I was to shatter my screen on the 5 within the FIRST year, would I be able to either replace for $149 or would it be full price. I'm just trying to make a sane decision because we are getting 3 iPhone 5s... $300 out of pocket is steep.

AppleCare+ extends the 1 year warranty for an additional year.. giving your 2 years total coverage. In addition, it extends telephone support from 90 days to 2 years. Finally, it adds physical damage coverage for the full 2 years (which is NOT included in the basic 1 year warranty). So for an extra $99, you get this coverage, plus up to 2 replacement phones for physical damage (at $49/incident)... so for a max total of $197 you could replace your phone twice for any reason, including physical damage.

Without AppleCare+, any physical damage is not covered at all. The current going rate is something like $149 (or $199 or $249 - not positive) for a broken screen repair... so for 2 broken screens, it would cost you $298 (vs $197 with AC+). I don't know for sure what the charge is for water damage, it may be the same charge as a screen replacement ($149, $199 or $249) or it may be more.

AppleCare+ is, plain and simple, an insurance policy... and all insurance is about risk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2