Can you type faster on the 5 or 4S?

unity04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've owned both the 5 and 4S, and to me it seems it's more difficult to type quickly on the 5 than it's predecessor.. anyone else feel this way? Whenever I type it feels like it's a bit slower than it should be with the device recognizing my input and touch on the screen.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It makes no difference to me. I type just as fast on my iPhone 5 as I did on my iPhone 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think i could on my 4S faster, but i think this may be more of an iOS glitch because it brings up words I never want many many times before i get the word I want, I've NEVER shut off autocorrect and I'm getting close to doing it lol

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've owned both the 5 and 4S, and to me it seems it's more difficult to type quickly on the 5 than it's predecessor.. anyone else feel this way? Whenever I type it feels like it's a bit slower than it should be with the device recognizing my input and touch on the screen.

Oh man, I've been meaning to post about this, I definitely used to type better with the 4S, I'm a portrait typer and I know is the same keyboard size but it feels kind of laggy and I tend now to make more mistakes...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The same for me in portrait mode but I've always preferred typing in landscape mode and I'm faster on i5 while typing in landscape.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've mentioned to some of my friends, I am making are far more mistakes trying to type on this phone then I did in any of the previous. But I can't figure out why. I don't feel like I'm holding the phone any different. The keyboard itself doesn't appear to have changed at all. Regardless, trying to whip out a fast text I'm here compared to the previous versions is not the same experience for me.

zeteo#IM

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have not owned the 5 long enough to actually make a comparison. I have noticed a few times, I have been typed a letter and it did not enter, this never happened on the 4's. Other than that I have yet noticed any real difference.

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually think I type faster on the 5. For some reason I feel there is more space between the letters which makes it easier. Who knows.

steve_hy

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I could definitely type faster on the 4s. IMO, the digitizer on the 5 is less accurate than on the 4s and is the cause for typos and missed or incorrect characters.

Last edited:

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
there are some apps which are still not updated for the iPhone 5 screen (Good app - come on man) and I type a lot of emails using the same. The problem is the location of the keyboard which messes me up. I don't think it is a hardware issue it is more of how we are used to holding the phone and the location of the keyboard on all the previous generations of the iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Minimal typing issues, but i can tell a slight difference...all in all it's about the same.

---------- Post Merged at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Minimal typing issues, but i can tell a slight difference...all in all it's about the same.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
consider myself a very fast typer but the 4S was definitely better for me, I dont use autocorrect since about 70% of my typing is in Spanish.. Hopefuly is a software issue and it'll get better with updates.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
my only issue is the apps that aren't optimized for the 4" screen...i missed the space button a lot and my words run together because i hit the blank space below the actually spacebar.