Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garz
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default clicking iphone5.... what to do?

well, i waited a month for my new phone and since my iphone 3, 3g and 4s were all perfect, i knew i was doomed to get a bad iphone 5... when i press the screen at the bottom left of the phone it makes a faint clicking sound

i live in a tiny little town and not anywhere near an apple store.... however i am travelling to toronto next week so i guess i will have a chance to go to one to exchange it

will they exchange it for me? i am quite upset because it is a very faint, very light clicking but it is for sure there..... you have to lift the phone to your ear to hear it clearly but once you know how to do it, its easily repeatable

has anyone been denied an exchange? i am not going to use the phone and i am let down that i cant use my phone in fear that if i damage it, i would be SOL

cmon apple
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Re: clicking iphone5.... what to do?

any thoughts on this? has anyone been denied a replacement phone? its just a faint clicking sound but it is clearly there and it because i know its there it makes the phone feel cheap and if i kept it who knows what issues could pop up after the warrantee period..... no apple care either
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Just take your iPhone 5 into an Apple store for evaluation. If they feel that you have a reasonable complaint, they will swap if out for you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

Very very unlikely they'll refuse to exchange it.
    Thanked by:
    yardwork2009 (10-17-2012)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have the slightest click on the top right cover of my screen. Doesn't even always making clicking sound. Just on occasion but very very minor. I did determine its not the screen. It's the small glass piece on the back. Just not sealed 100% correct. I noticed this because I never get the click if the case is off. Only when the case is on. If that case is off, i can push on the glass piece and then hear the click a little more. The case pushes against it do so that's how the sound happens. I do have to give it a little extra pressure to even notice it. Doesn't bother me one bit. I won't exchange over it.
    Thanked by:
    yardwork2009 (10-17-2012)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

thx for the replies guys... much appreciated..... i should add that i bot the phone from apple store canada online

here is the deal, i am ocd about my iphones... i love my iphones and i need to go thru a proper "honeymoon" period with the phone before i (and the iphone) really start to get to know each others quirks

having said that, i literally took this phone outta the box and as soon as i reached for the home button for the first time, click.... just a tiny click but it can be easilty reproduced on the cold iphone (havent tried it on a warm iphone as i havent booted her up yet)....i will never be happy with this phone and now that i know how to make it click, i will be doin it non stop and it will annoy me... also, for the price i paid for an unlocked phone, i expect a device that has a more solid build quality (like my 4s which is as solid as a rock and i love that about it)

i am afraid that if i take it to the apple store in toronto next week while i am there, one of the employees there will reject my claim for a refund or offer me a refurb not a new unit..... am i not better off just eating the shipping fee and seding it back for a full refund?

i have an iphone 4s that is working perfect so i am thinking that i will just send the iphone back for a full refund (just got it today so i still have 13 days to return it) and wait till the craze dies down and get the iphone 5 in a few months when the QC will be a little more consistent?

since i am within my 14 day period, does it matter if they feel my reason for returning the iphone legit or not? i just hate the idea of having to rationalize to some apple employee why this phone is not acceptable bc of a little clicking
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

called apple today and returned the phone.... couldnt deal with the clicking

if i get a chance when im away ill pop into the apple store and buy one in person that way i can confirm the quality control of the device

sucks cause i was pumped for my iphone 5
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

You could return it and get another apple will replace till your happy
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by miker2005 View Post
    called apple today and returned the phone.... couldnt deal with the clicking

if i get a chance when im away ill pop into the apple store and buy one in person that way i can confirm the quality control of the device

sucks cause i was pumped for my iphone 5
    Should of got it replaced through Genius Bar. They don't have refurbs this quick.
    GibMcFragger likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Should of got it replaced through Genius Bar. They don't have refurbs this quick.
    This, and the Genius reps usually don't let you go without being fully satisfied with the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    They may not have refurbs but the lack of quality control is ridiculous even on the white box phones. I went through 4 boxes and every one of ten were bad, scratches all over bezel, to of them had scratches on the screen an the ceramic glass on the back. I had one that I just took because I was fed up that had a deep pin size nick on the bottom and side of the bezel, discoloration, and some weird glue crap all over the bottom that had to take off when i got home, and there is even a nick on the home button !! i mean really. it's terrible my iPhone 4S was great had quirks but great. This well I'm just a little disappointed to say the least.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,592 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

It's hilarious to me that some of you are finding so many iPhone's in this condition...every person i know that got an iPhone 5 had a perfect phone when they opened the box (and still does), and when i was at the store the other day trading out my LaCie drive (again, ugh), they had Apple store employees specifically checking the phones for damage, and i didn't see one of them in the hour i was in the store have to take one back...

I think some of you just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to getting this thing. Hate it for ya...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,366 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    It's hilarious to me that some of you are finding so many iPhone's in this condition...every person i know that got an iPhone 5 had a perfect phone when they opened the box (and still does), and when i was at the store the other day trading out my LaCie drive (again, ugh), they had Apple store employees specifically checking the phones for damage, and i didn't see one of them in the hour i was in the store have to take one back...

I think some of you just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to getting this thing. Hate it for ya...
    Exactly. All my friends and family who bought an iPhone 5 no issues what so ever. Flawless. I have 2 buddies who work for an apple store and no scratches etc. I only read about it here and other forums. I'm in Miami BTW.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sjperformance View Post
    Exactly. All my friends and family who bought an iPhone 5 no issues what so ever. Flawless. I have 2 buddies who work for an apple store and no scratches etc. I only read about it here and other forums. I'm in Miami BTW.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...
    Same here. Me and my boyfriend's was absolutely flawless.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I had this problem too, took it to the apple store and they exchanged it for me no problem. Make sure you make an appt. tho