Alternative to BB's LED notification on iPhone 5?

xtreme469

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Im considering buying the new iPhone 5 but have a few concerns. I currently have a Blackberry Torch 9810. I love that with my BB I dont have to actually touch my phone to know whats going on with it. The LED light flashes different colors for different things. Like Blue For BBM or orange for email. I know that there isnt an LED notifier on the front of the new iPhone and that you can use the flash as a notifier. My main question is: Is there an app that would work similar to the flashing LED light? That would make the screen flash a different color or pop up a message while the screen is off and keep "flashing" until it is dismissed? I Only ask because if a client sends me an email and i dont notice it, odd are they arenot going to be happy with me if i dont get back to them asap. Thanx for any info you have on this. I really appreciate it

Thanx Again,
R.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I just came from a BlackBerry myself - Bold 9930. I must say the ONLY thing I miss is the LED light (and the ability to change it's color to show what type of message you have). I miss the keyboard a bit too, but I find myself typing perfectly fine and fast on the iPhone's virtual kb

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but the only notifier you can set up would be to have the led light on the back of the phone flash. Even with this there are certain drawbacks. I am not certain what all types of notifiers it will flash for and I also believe you only get a flash once. So, in essence it really isnt set up to work in the same way as the notifications you are seeking. I believe if this is a function you must have, you may want to consider staying with BB or looking into an android device.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't Know What I Should Do - Please Help

Hi All,

Im considering buying the new iPhone 5 but have a few concerns. I currently have a Blackberry Torch 9810. I love that with my BB I dont have to actually touch my phone to know whats going on with it. The LED light flashes different colors for different things. Like Blue For BBM or orange for email. I know that there isnt an LED notifier on the front of the new iPhone and that you can use the flash as a notifier. My main question is: Is there an app that would work similar to the flashing LED light? That would make the screen flash a different color or pop up a message while the screen is off and keep "flashing" until it is dismissed? I Only ask because if a client sends me an email and i dont notice it, odd are they arenot going to be happy with me if i dont get back to them asap. Thanx for any info you have on this. I really appreciate it

Thanx Again,
R.

Not that I'm aware of, however, you can set your iPhone to silently display missed calls as well as text and email messages on the lock screen without actually displaying the contents of the messages. This will keep you informed of who contacted you. You can also have the aforementioned to display in the notification center. It's up to you. Anyway, it's not a blinking LED, but it can be a viable alternative.

Jonezed7

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but the only notifier you can set up would be to have the led light on the back of the phone flash. Even with this there are certain drawbacks. I am not certain what all types of notifiers it will flash for and I also beleive you only get a flash once. So, in essence it really isnt set up to work in the same was as the notifications you are seeking. I believe if this is a function you must have, you may want to consider staying with BB or looking into an android device.

This is correct. Pretty pointless and drains battery. Not the same as the bb

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure only the LED flash on the back can be used for this, and that functionality is built into iOS 6.

This is a kludge at best... and while it kind of works, it was not designed to be a notification LED. It's a camera flash. Sort of like playing golf with only a putter.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure only the LED flash on the back can be used for this, and that functionality is built into iOS 6.

It is in the Accessability section of the settings app... and is not multicolored...

To anyone that is so conditioned that an LED is essential to your being: do not buy an iPhone. You will not be pleased with its lack of a notification LED. And if you do get an iPhone, don't come back here and kvetch about the iPhone not having your beloved blinky light.

aw jeez... not this (bleep) again....

xtreme469

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of, however, you can set your iPhone to silently display missed calls as well as text and email messages on the lock screen without actually displaying the contents of the messages. This will keep you informed of who contacted you. You can also have the aforementioned to display in the notification center. It's up to you. Anyway, it's not a blinking LED, but it can be a viable alternative.

Thanks for the info. Does the locked screen stay lit with the notification? Or does it pop-up and go back to black?

Thanx,
R.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the info. Does the locked screen stay lit with the notification? Or does it pop-up and go back to black?

Thanx,
R.

It will pop up, stay for a period of time and then the screen will shut off, however, when you wake the device, the notification(s) will still be there for you to view.

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Don't Know What I Should Do - Please Help

I just came from bb as well the led is the only thing I miss about bb. You will adjust to how u have to use it for notifications. Takes a while but I'm getting use to it.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have missed the Blackberry LED since I first went to Android. Now on iPhone, I still miss it but have gotten used to it.

I had it set up to where I could tell in silent exactly what kind of notification I was receiving, and had customized literally everything about my blackberry. If there was anything similar, I'd probably use it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've definitely missed the LED notification from my old BB Tour, but have worked through it I guess. I'd love to have it on the iPhone. That would be a stellar addition.

footmatix

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
And to think they have yet to develop an app that will use the photoflash with multicolors to identify different notifications? I guess there isn't an app for that or is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowanova

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The only possibility you have of anything that could resemble what BB has as LED notifications would be in the jailbreak community. I don't think Apple allows any type of app for this in the app store. If they did, I'm sure multiple choices would exist, but none do. As I'm not jailbroken, I cannot comment that avenue. You may want to visit Cydia, if you are willing to jailbreak your new iPhone.

Shunulu

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
iPhone does not have BB's style LED notification. Also Apple doesn't allow this kind of app to reach main native apps like "Mail" or "Messages". Your solution can be "Jailbreak" but i could not remember any apps can do this. I even doubt that iPhone LED has a capability to do this. But i would want this feature also...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I even doubt that iPhone LED has a capability to do this. But i would want this feature also...

It doesn't. The LED on an iPhone was designed first and foremost to be the camera flash... then extended to Acessability features, and the occasional 'flashlight' app. It is not capable of multicolor... no app can change that - jailbreak or otherwise.

If you must have a color blinky light for notifications, don't get an iPhone.

Appletitude

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Being a Blackberry owner for 5 years, the two things I struggled most with were the virtual KB and the LED. Loved the Blackberry QWERTY! I toiled over the decision for six months. Give it two weeks, and its not an issue anymore (virtual is the way of the future anyway). As for the LED, an iPhone friend said to me before I made the switch, "It doesn't need an LED, the God damned phone will never be out of your hand anyway!" He was right, and if his words don't ring in my head everytime it happens to this day.

---------- Post Merged at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Being a Blackberry owner for 5 years, the two things I struggled most with were the virtual KB and the LED. Loved the Blackberry QWERTY! I toiled over the decision for six months. Give it two weeks, and its not an issue anymore (virtual is the way of the future anyway). As for the LED, an iPhone friend said to me before I made the switch, "It doesn't need an LED, the God damned phone will never be out of your hand anyway!" He was right, and if his words don't ring in my head everytime it happens to this day.

---------- Post Merged at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post. :(

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77