Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Re: Ordered iPhone 5....did I make mistake not getting GS3??

Quote Originally Posted by rpoli86 View Post
    thanks for the help guys. I just keep thinking how the top reasons I use my phone is for:

Music (#1 for me)
    Texting
    Facebooking, etc social media

I just always wanted a BIGGER screen and I feel like Apple failed by making it just a bit taller as opposed to stretching it out. My main concern is that I am going to feel like I bought the EXACT same phone again. I haven't even updated to iOS6 yet so maybe that will make it a more "fresh" experience?

I'm just worried about not being able to play my music on the GS3, and also I know my friend has said she has to worry about viruses....it's ridiculous how buying a phone is a big decision in our lives...LOL
    My love for music is what got me into Apple in the 1st place. I was drawn to iPods ever since they were announced because of how easy it is to store songs on their devices. I was thrilled when I got my iPhone 4 last year & so far I love my iPhone 5! It is easy to hold in your hand & again very easy to organize music. I actually had all of the songs already stored on my Macbook Pro that I wanted on my 5 & when I got my 5 it took no time at all for my music to go from my Mac to my 5. Also, I am on social media sites like Facebook & Twitter a lot. The new 4" screen really helps when using social media. Also email is very easy to use & set up. Before I got my 4 I had a Blackberry & was worried that I would loose that email access, however it turns out I like it on my iPhone even more! Texting on the keyboard is very responsive & if you want you have voice dictation. Oh & you can't forget about Siri! Personally I am all Apple. The OS is very organized & simple to use. Definitely #1 in my book. Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy either device. My iPhone 5 will be with me for a long time!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

I have both, and use both on a daily basis. Hands down, the Galaxy S 3 is the winner. I get better battery life with it, and the phone seems over all faster. On my iPhone 5, I can't last a whole day on the battery. I do however like the fact that the iPhone just works out of the box whereas on the Galaxy you can spend some time setting it up...but once it's set up, that's a different story.
    Apple iPhone 4, 32GB, Black, AT&T
    Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation, 64GB
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

thanks for the help guys. I just keep thinking how the top reasons I use my phone is for:

Music (#1 for me)
    Texting
    Facebooking, etc social media

I just always wanted a BIGGER screen and I feel like Apple failed by making it just a bit taller as opposed to stretching it out. My main concern is that I am going to feel like I bought the EXACT same phone again. I haven't even updated to iOS6 yet so maybe that will make it a more "fresh" experience?

I'm just worried about not being able to play my music on the GS3, and also I know my friend has said she has to worry about viruses....it's ridiculous how buying a phone is a big decision in our lives...LOL

Assuming you don't have poor eye sight, if you were to tell me your biggest things were watching movies/videos and gaming then yes I would say the screen size would come in handy but from the uses you listed I don't see the bigger screen being a need. If all of your products are Apple I would stay within the family. I owned the SGS3 and currently have the i5 and I am much happier with the 5 but whoever you talk to will have a differet opinon so there is no point in asking. If you're looking for unbias opinions I would go to a technology site that runs specs not an Apple fansite, I am honestly surprised there are people in this thread saying the SGS3 is better lol. Go to the store and see what works best for you, if you can't decide right then buy the one you're leaning towards and if you don't like it take it back for the other
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

iPhone 5s 16 gb gold . iPad air 64 gb LTE white/silver . iPad mini 16gb LTE black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts

Default Ordered iPhone 5....did I make mistake not getting GS3??

If you like the iPhone, you made the right choice. I'm using a 4s and a GS3 right now, and as much of an Android fanboy as I am, I'm falling out of love with it.

I've also set up several ip5's for people, and spent lots of time messing with them. No reception issues I can see, and we're in a weak area.

That lense flair? My 4s and gs3 do it, too. My wife is a photographer, and just for fun, we tried to reproduce it with her DSLR. Yup, the $2000 camera rig does it, too.

The ip5 is a great phone. The GS3 is, too. Pick the one that fits your use case.
    iPhone 5s Gold
    iPad Mini Retina
    BlackBerry q10
    Nexus 5
    iMore Intermediate

I just always wanted a BIGGER screen and I feel like Apple failed by making it just a bit taller as opposed to stretching it out. My main concern is that I am going to feel like I bought the EXACT same phone again.
    I've no experience with the SG3 so I can't comment on i5 v. SG3 or iOS v. Android. However, I did upgrade to the iPhone 5 from a 4S, and can say that it's a markedly different phone. The speed of iOS on the i5 is much better than iOS on the 4S. LTE makes web browsing on Safari or any app that pulls data from the interwebz much faster.

The taller screen grows on you very quickly and doesn't seem out of place at all after a few days. The thinner chassis is nice too and despite what many say doesn't feel cheap or make the i5 feel like a toy.

This is totally subjective, but the i5 is an upgrade over the 4S and doesn't feel like the "same old same old".
    iPhone: there is no substitute. Apples: MacBook '09 | 8GB iPod Nano 4th gen | iPhone 5: black/slate 32GB, AT&T: Sleek, Sexy, Stealth
    iPhone Newbie

I support iPhone 5~
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

thanks to everyone for replying. I'm NOW confident in my choice of the iPhone 5. I cannot wait for it to ship! I ordered it 6 days ago on October 10th. AT&T said 14-21 but said the 32GB isn't as popular as the 16GB because it's more expensive, therefore he said it should be closer to the 14 day mark. Now what to do with my iPhone 4? lol

EDIT: correction thanks to Exxod
    Last edited by rpoli86; 10-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

thanks to everyone for replying. I'm now confident in my choice of the iPhone 5. I cannot wait for it to ship! I ordered it 6 days ago on October 10th. AT&T said 14-21 but said the 32GB isn't as popular as the 16GB because it's more expensive, therefore he said it should be closer to the 14 day mark. Now what to do with my iPhone 4? lol
    Corrected it for you. XD
    Last edited by Exxod; 10-16-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPhone 5; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #34  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exxod View Post
    Corrected it for you. XD
    haha thanks didn't even notice
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Dude, I completely get you! i wish phone companies weren't so rigid on phones when you're getting a new contract or renewing for another 2 years. It'd be pretty cool if they let you try out a phone for a month and if you don't like it then you can return it and purchase a different phone for the same "new contract" price.

Take it from me dude, I just upgraded from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 and I absolutely love it!!! It is better in every single way, faster, bigger screen, better Siri (by the way is you like to use the voice assistant feature it will make your decision a lot easier. S Voice on the GS3 is garbage compared to Siri, if it had Google Now then that would be a whole different story. The iPhone 5's camera is also superior, the GS3 is claimed to be faster by its users but that is a lie. Here in the U.S. the GS3 has a dual-core processor just like the iPhone 5. It's only the international version that carries that beastly quad-core processor. The iPhone 5 also has a smoother UI like many others have said before me. Let's not forget the fact that you're $2K deep in iTunes purchases.

I'm not bashing android in fact I'm typing this out on my Nexus 7 tablet which I wouldn't trade for any sort of iPad. Widgets are awesome and I would like to see them incorporated into iOS one day but they're not a deal-breaker for me. For me at least iPhone 5's design is also just simply a class up from the GS3, I love the rounded edges on the GS3 it feels really nice in the hand but when you pull out the iPhone 5 and you see that gorgeous two tone color scheme, and material composition on the back you'll be glad you got the iPhone 5.

Hope i helped dude.

P.S. Dude you should've gone to a carrier store rather than order it online. I went to a Verizon store in order to give the GS3 another thorough look before deciding whether or not i would commit to a GS3 or wait for an iPhone 5. Turns out I didn't even have to wait! They had just gotten a shipment that day! I literally walked in and asked and I looked both phones over and the rest is history haha!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,066 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Well have you tested out the GSIII? It's about what you like better, not what we like better! If you like widgets and a bigger screen, yes, you made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

I'd like to point out that the speed confliction depend on what benchmarking software you use the ones that only test one core say iphone that ones that tes all cores show that the gs3 quad core blows the iphones dual core away... just some info for the records
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Since you bumped I would like to point out that the gs3 in the United States is only dual core. Though the gs3 is still a fast phone with a fast processor.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,601 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

You know...Apple Jacks has a great slogan "We eat what we like!", this echoes to me throughout every one of these type of threads.

Don't follow a flock of sheep...buy the product that you prefer. You'll read a ton of great stuff about both phones and you'll read a ton of negative...NONE of which should supersede your actual trying out of the phones to see which one works better for you. Why deny yourself the ability to use the product that fits best in your lifestyle? The GSIII is a terrible choice for me, i can't stand the build quality, the cluttered widgets and the menu setups (and that's just pointing out the basics)...none of those points could apply to your view, thus making it a moot point.

...i also just realized this is a zombie thread...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Others opinions of apple does not effect me. Don't go on what others say. It's just them hating the brand. I upgraded to the 5 and so glad that i did. And the fact i switched from ATT to Verizon was a good idea too. If you like your iP5 then that's great. It's all a matter of personal preference.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts

Its really depends on you.. If you prefer customization but not a so stable os go with the S3. However if you prefer a simpler/cleaner UI go with the iPhone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,092 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    ...i also just realized this is a zombie thread...
    i just LOL'd at that Sean

but just to add to this "zombie thread" my daughters bf has the sprint version of the SG-S2 and he did need to install the Norton Anti-Virus app on his phone, avail through the Sprint store on his device, because as he said "when i download apps, if theres something not right with the app, the Norton will pop up stopping the download and ask me if i want to proceed."

the only reason i'm pointing that out is because someone earlier on in the thread had mentioned this.
    Last edited by Pink; 01-03-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo !
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's really comes down to what you want. With the iPhone5 you know what your getting. Killer performance. Awesome apps and content and it just works for what you need it for. Now if you want to customization, widgets and a bigger screen the gs3 Is the way to go. You have to compromise with either one it just boils down to what you ultimately want.
    MrszBerry likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

As stated above, if does come down to what you want. I recently tried the GS3 but really did not like it. I am not sure if it was because I did not want to learn a new phone or just that I found how much I really missed the iPhone and already knowing what it can do. I returned my GS3 and got the 5 and am as happy as can be with my choice.

When I had the GS3, I didn't have the feeling that "this was the phone I wanted". With the iphone 5, I have that feeling.
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
    john_v likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

I don't think so. I had the gs3 for about three months. It wasn't great holding a wifi signal. The battery was horrendous. I had to buy a spare with light use mind you. Also the overlay of touch wiz on the native android software made it glitchy. I picked up the five recently and love it. It just works.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,128 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had the S3 since 21at June 2012 when it was released. I literally just sold it yesterday. I bought my iPhone 5 on 31st December 2012.
    mikesa_tx likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

I have the S3 and I also write for an Android website, yeah I'm one of those people. However I have recently been having trouble with Verizon's hotspot feature, it keeps dropping data when it is on, and I'm taking online classes. I can't really go without my internet.

Verizon sent me four phones, and upgraded the software on the tower I lock into at home. They also sent me a Motorola RAZR, that's a great example of a crappy phone. I couldn't send that phone back fast enough.

So now I'm looking at the iPhone 5, and wondering how the hotspot would work. I'm also looking at the iPhone 5 since I'm getting tired of the constant fiddling I'm doing with Android.

Don't get me wrong, I love stock Android! I'm typing this on my Nexus 7, but once manufactures get involved thongs get sideways fast. The S3 doesn't run Jelly Bean, it runs Touchwiz, and I hate it.

Updates make me tear my hair out too. When my favorite device gets an update I want it now. So if I get an iPhone, I know I'm not waiting 3 or 4 months to get new features. The update process is so broken on non Nexus devices.

So here's the deal, I want to sell my S3 and get an iPhone 5, I'll keep my unlimited data by buying it used. The 5 will play nicely with my iPad 3 and iMac, and I'll stay on top of the newest Android updates with my Nexus 7.

The only thing I really am going to miss is NFC, I have a tag by my bed that I tap and it shuts off my ringer, sets my screen to dim and sets my alarm. However it will be nice to be able to use my phone with one hand.

Overall the S3 is a great phone, but its big and the radios are weak. Sometimes my battery is dead by 1pm if I forget my charger that day. It has so many features that I've never used and feel are just there to fill bullet points in training manuals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Nanite

**mod edit. We have a section for selling and buying devices.**
    Last edited by John Yester; 02-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    6.x

Yep, iOS devices get updates as soon as they are released.
    Norton has an app for android? IMHO, that's something to think about when choosing a device: viruses, spam and security.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,254 Global Posts

I went with iPhone 5 because I was tired of having to tweak. I was tired of "oh your phone can do this and this and this...but only if you root it and install all these mods." It was fun for a little bit, but I seriously have no time anymore for that. I need a device that, as has been said many times, rocks right out of the box. And I'm not knocking people who enjoy putting a new ROM on every night...to each their own.
    I've used an S3 (horrible reception, dropped calls and data- i will never own a samsung device again after that) played with a Note 2 (just waaaaay too big for me), used a Nexus, used BlackBerry, used WP7.5, but I can truly say the i5 is the only phone I've used in the last 2.5 years that I'm truly happy with.
    ----------------------------------------
    This space available for rent
    ----------------------------------------
    ladyc0524 and John Yester like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast