iPhone 5 Availability

plowboy1065

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ordered my upgrade iPhone 5 black 32mb last Wednesday. Had a shipping date of Oct 26. Receive an email Sunday night that it has shipped and will be here this Wednesday. Really surprised by this after reading how hard they are to get a hold of.

---------- Post Merged at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Ordered my upgrade iPhone 5 black 32mb last Wednesday. Had a shipping date of Oct 26. Receive an email Sunday night that it has shipped and will be here this Wednesday. Really surprised by this after reading how hard they are to get a hold of.

detfan

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like my ship date is the 2nd. Ordered 8 days ago but the 16gb black is what I ordered. Not surprised but every year it's the same thing. You would think they'd get out ahead of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JDanat84

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue locating one. Radio Shack was great though. I spoke with the assistant manager of my local Radio Shack, and he found the exact model (32gb black verizon) at a smaller store in PA. He had it shipped to his store within 2 days.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I got lucky and found a 32GB black model at Best Buy on Sunday...check with them. They se to get random shipments.

As far as availability, besides manufacturing issues, they also released it in more countries sooner. This sent units elsewhere instead of here.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's basic Economics 101... supply and demand... sorry to the OP that you are having issues finding your iPhone 5 for purchase, but with the strong demand, it's going to be a hard find. Ramping up production can only go so far, as this happens each time a new Apple device is announced/released for sale... and each year the demand exceeds that of the previous year.

I have been checking around the local BestBuy stores (bestbuy.com) and found several of the stores in my area with stock from time to time... and they have a buy on line/pick up in the store option, too.

Good luck with your search.

NickA

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
It's basic Economics 101... supply and demand... sorry to the OP that you are having issues finding your iPhone 5 for purchase, but with the strong demand, it's going to be a hard find. Ramping up production can only go so far, as this happens each time a new Apple device is announced/released for sale... and each year the demand exceeds that of the previous year.

I have been checking around the local BestBuy stores (bestbuy.com) and found several of the stores in my area with stock from time to time... and they have a buy on line/pick up in the store option, too.

Good luck with your search.

I've seen some on BestBuy.com and it says my local store has them in stock, but you still can't buy/in-store pickup on the iPhone 5. It's in store only. But it's worth a shot to call the store; just ignore the prerecorded message most of them have saying they don't have any in stock.

Also, another store I called showed them in stock, but the manager said they were for preorders still. How much time does someone have to pick up a preorder?? I'd say if they haven't picked it up by now, they aren't going to.

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
awwe... boo hoo, I cant find an iPhone a month after launch date. I'm from the NY metro area and I'm away at school and I have no apple stores around me so I'm forced to order and wait 3-4 weeks for it to ship. Its because of crying people waiting outside of apple stores and franticly trying at 10pm is the reason why I have to wait extra time for my iPhone to ship when I am already a paying customer.

Actually, you are not a paying customer as you are not charged until it is shipped. Those crying people waiting outside of apple stores to get it as soon as they can are in fact paying customers because they problably got their phone

Jackal

May 5, 2009
Visit site

---------- Post Merged at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:21 AM ----------

what did you order through? Apple or a carrier?

I ordered mine on the 3rd and I still dont have any information it just still processing and my credit card has yet to be charged.

---------- Post Merged at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:36 PM ----------

so Apple just shouldn't even have pre orders then, whats the point of taking orders if you're giving priority to people who 1 month later suddenly want to pick up the phone.

That is absolute B S.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
so Apple just shouldn't even have pre orders then, whats the point of taking orders if you're giving priority to people who 1 month later suddenly want to pick up the phone.

That is absolute B S.

The in-store pickup is a different supply chain within Apple... they have the online sales and retail sales, plus all the non-Apple retail sales. Since the phone was released on 9/21, there aren't any more "pre-orders"...

footmatix

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
i'm in Canada (Montreal, Qc)

If you stick to Future Shop or Best Buy, you can get your hands on one within days...I'd stay away from the Carriers...they seem to create too many hurdles and are not helpful in giving you insight into how to get one...after a week of calling Best Buy every few days, I finally got my 16 GB in black (slate)...this is the most popular desired variant...had i wanted a white or 64GB, you could find one quite easily...

after one week, I am truly enjoying my device...i had been iPhone-less for about 8 months - gave my iphone 4s to my son and used a BlackBerry for a while...i also managed to use a Samsung GS3 for a week and HTC One X for a few days...both good devices...but I prefer the dimensions and build quality of the iPhone....and it's flawless integration into my home's media life....we have 3 iPhone's, an iPod, 2 iPads, a MacBook Air 11", a MacBook Pro 17", and an Apple TV...it just makes sense...

dowdyrich

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am a Sprint customer and I waited too long to pre-order mine, as I was still contemplating whether I was jumping on the Apple bandwagon. Of course, when release day came and my friends received their pre-orders and I had a chance to play with the 5, my mind was made up. So my hunt began. I contacted local apple stores and one near family in STL, to no avail. Sprint wanted a $50 'deposit' to even be added to their waiting list (refused to give them money to simply be added to a longggg waiting list). I even tried BestBuy on release date, but all their phone were reserved for pre-orders.

I made the decision to just call each day and see how would get one first. Apple and Sprint never seemed to get one and BestBuy would sell out before I could ever get someone on the phone. The Tuesday following release day, I just made the decision to go to Best Buy and Sprint (Apple store is an hour drive) when they opened and check personally. Best Buy opened first, I walked in, talked to BB Mobile manager -- and sure enough they had one 32gb and one 64gb in stock. After checking to make sure that they were not already claimed, I walked out the proud owner of my first iPhone. Black, 64gb and awesome.

Moral of the story: Just go to the store if that is an option and personally speak with someone. You have to think that the people that answer the phone may be tired of all the i5 hype and just answer "Out of stock" because at this point that is really easy for the caller to believe and they don't have to really answer any questions past that. Or they are probably just going of the last thing they heard. I have never really had much luck with carrier stores with high demand items near release date (ie. my Palm Pre ).

Hope everyone gets what they want for Christmas!

--Rich

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I returned my black 16 gig yesterday because I should have got a 32. I'll eat up the memory in that phone before I can get another one. I called about 10 stores yesterday, 5 this morning and have been searching stores online today. Nothing. At least for AT&T. Found a bunch of stores with Sprint phones. I like the challenge but damn... I'm striking out! Oh well, I'll give it a couple more days. If I don't find one local, I'll order online.

Akiramich

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I made the HUGE mistake of preordering my Iphone from an 'Authorized" AT&T retail outlet [instead of the real AT&T store]. I had purchased a phone for my mother there last May, and the sales guy had told me to go there for the Iphone since they were a smaller outlet and wouldnt have as many customers. So here is my timeline of woe:

-Went to the store on 9/14 to preorder and PAID IN FULL ($329) for a 32GB IPhone 5, didnt care if it was Black or White. Salesguy told me I was one of the first guys to order so should have it soon
-Expected a call on 9/21, and when I called to ask if my phone was in, was told nope, it will be in "within two weeks"
-Called Tues 9/18, spoke to the manager, was told I was on the top of the list, should have the phone 'soon'
-Called back on 9/26, was told no phones were in, dont know when they are coming.
-Called 9/28--no one answered the phone until after 4PM, guy told me "Man im the wrong guy to talk to"
-Called on 10/1 called the real AT&T store, was told "you should have had your phone by now" but nothing from my retial store.
-Called 10/10, salesman mumbled some stuff, still no phones. Now I called AT&T Customer Service to see if they could rectify the problem, they called the store, and no solution.
-Called last Friday 10/12 spoke to the manager, and was told he was getting a "bulk shipment" this week, should be able to fill all his preorders.

Waiting for a call today. It has been more than a month since I paid for my phone and I have yet to receive it. Really perplexed what to do. If I cancel, they want to charge me a $50 resotcking fee. Plus If I cancel now it will still take another month to get the phone. Complaining to AT&T didnt resolve anything. This has left the worst taste in my mouth. i am defiently going to complain to the Better Buisness Bureau about this place, but I dont know what to do to try and resolve this. Giving the guy another call right now...

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I made the HUGE mistake of preordering my Iphone from an 'Authorized" AT&T retail outlet [instead of the real AT&T store]. I had purchased a phone for my mother there last May, and the sales guy had told me to go there for the Iphone since they were a smaller outlet and wouldnt have as many customers. So here is my timeline of woe:

-Went to the store on 9/14 to preorder and PAID IN FULL ($329) for a 32GB IPhone 5, didnt care if it was Black or White. Salesguy told me I was one of the first guys to order so should have it soon
-Expected a call on 9/21, and when I called to ask if my phone was in, was told nope, it will be in "within two weeks"
-Called Tues 9/18, spoke to the manager, was told I was on the top of the list, should have the phone 'soon'
-Called back on 9/26, was told no phones were in, dont know when they are coming.
-Called 9/28--no one answered the phone until after 4PM, guy told me "Man im the wrong guy to talk to"
-Called on 10/1 called the real AT&T store, was told "you should have had your phone by now" but nothing from my retial store.
-Called 10/10, salesman mumbled some stuff, still no phones. Now I called AT&T Customer Service to see if they could rectify the problem, they called the store, and no solution.
-Called last Friday 10/12 spoke to the manager, and was told he was getting a "bulk shipment" this week, should be able to fill all his preorders.

Waiting for a call today. It has been more than a month since I paid for my phone and I have yet to receive it. Really perplexed what to do. If I cancel, they want to charge me a $50 resotcking fee. Plus If I cancel now it will still take another month to get the phone. Complaining to AT&T didnt resolve anything. This has left the worst taste in my mouth. i am defiently going to complain to the Better Buisness Bureau about this place, but I dont know what to do to try and resolve this. Giving the guy another call right now...

It's funny because I was just coming back to this forum to update people on my tales of woe when I saw your post. I made the OP sounding off on the lack of availability. Then I got a glimmer of hope when I ordered through AT&T after they told me the phone was shipping in 24 hours - I wrote about this on the last page. That was on 10/15. So, 10/16 after 24hrs since my purchase ... nothing, 10/17 after 48 hrs after purchase ... still pending. So I call up the store and they played stupid and said they were not sure why the sales rep told me 24 hrs, and they have not heard of such a thing since it had been released. They said the shipping was 3-4 weeks still. This enfuriated me because I based my purchase on that information and I think the guy was just trying to get the sale. I want him fired!! I spoke to the manager and the best he could do was cancel my order, now I am back at square 1 with no phone. To make matters worse, I have only 10 days left at my locked in price with Gazelle to ship my old phone back. I called around everywhere again, nothing! This is ridiculous!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey, hope this isn't considered too spammy, but I saw this thread and thought this info might be interesting to a few people here still looking to find an iPhone. Videomaker magazine is right now giving away a free iPhone 5 in a sweepstakes

Yeah, not big on posting "sweepstakes" spam around here...

Akiramich

May 18, 2009
Visit site
After I read some of the other responses in this thread, I checked a local Radio Shack near my office [I am in Pittsburgh Pa, the Radio Shack is in Market Square] and they saleperson said they had them in stock--aksed me what brand I needed. I have to get an AT&T one [tied into a family plan] and he said the four he had in stock had been requested by other customers he had already called. He also told me that he had a number of 32GB models that were tied into Sprint, than anyone could walk in to buy. I guess they are coming in to different retailers. Unfortunatly my money is tied up at the "Authorized Retailer".

I do have complaints in to AT&T's fraud division [which was going to be transfered to the dept that handles authorized retialers] as well as filed a complaint online with the Better Buisness Bureau.

jinye

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine on the 28th September, release date of the Iphone 5 for Portugal.

It says on the order status that estimated delivery is between 24-30 October.

Really expect the IP5 to ship earlier, but it seems that it not going to be the case, is it? I guess there are even more chances of the delivery date to be delayed than anticipated...

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
check eBay or CL...you might be able to get one for ~$1k. pre-order, try the 10pm Apple store order, order and suck up the wait time.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro