Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JHBThree
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Default Odd cosmetic issue

So I've been relatively lucky with my 5, as I haven't had the chipping or scuffing issues some have had. I did notice today that I have two odd silver dots under my screen all the way at the top right of the phone. I thought it could be dust at first, but they are in a perfect line and are reflective. Considering that I haven't had any other issues, I'm debating whether I should take it back to apple and have them exchange it for a new one. I'm not even sure if they would since its so small, but its clearly a (small) defect. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Droid800; 10-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Default Re: Odd cosmetic issue

I'd exchange it

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    So I've been relatively lucky with my 5, as I haven't had the chipping or scuffing issues some have had. I did notice today that I have two odd silver dots under my screen all the way at the top right of the phone. I thought it could be dust at first, but they are in a perfect line and are reflective. Considering that I haven't had any other issues, I'm debating whether I should take it back to apple and have them exchange it for a new one. I'm not even sure if they would since its so small, but its clearly a (small) defect. What do you all think?
    It caught your attention to the point where it moved you enough to post a comment about it so I suggest you take it to the nearest Apple store and have one of the geniuses look at it. I would also compare it with a friend's iPhone 5 and see if their device has the same possible defect and if not, I'd request an exchange while at the Apple store.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Good luck trying to exchange it. Been trying to exchange mine for a week now. None of the stores in Chicago have had any in stock.
    Verizon White iPhone 4 32gig, 2010 MacBook Pro
    "Make each day your masterpiece"
    ~John Wooden~
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

*sigh* They exchanged it for an Apple Care new one. He had to open three boxes before he found one that was almost acceptable. The first had a huge ding in one side, the second had some pretty severe discoloration of the beveled edges. The last one, which I ended up just taking because I didn't have time to wait for him to keep opening boxes, has a small ding on the top back edge. I didn't notice until I got home, though, that the backlight at the top is yellow and uneven. I could live with the small ding on this end, but not the backlight.

So...now I don't know what to do. It's clear their apple care replacement stock is coming from early production runs that have lots of issues. They also don't have any actual new ones to exchange out. (Not that I think they would now that they've swapped this one) I would hate to be 'that guy' that makes them open box after box when I go back tomorrow, but I think that's all i can do at this point.

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

*sigh* They exchanged it for an Apple Care new one. He had to open three boxes before he found one that was almost acceptable. The first had a huge ding in one side, the second had some pretty severe discoloration of the beveled edges. The last one, which I ended up just taking because I didn't have time to wait for him to keep opening boxes, has a small ding on the top back edge. I didn't notice until I got home, though, that the backlight at the top is yellow and uneven. I could live with the small ding on this end, but not the backlight.

So...now I don't know what to do. It's clear their apple care replacement stock is coming from early production runs that have lots of issues. They also don't have any actual new ones to exchange out. (Not that I think they would now that they've swapped this one) I would hate to be 'that guy' that makes them open box after box when I go back tomorrow, but I think that's all i can do at this point.
    At least you now know what to expect. Having said that, you made it perfectly clear that although you can accept a small ding, you will not accept the faulty backlighting so you might as well go back and exchange it for one that you find acceptable. The Geniuses at the Apple Store are used to dealing with a variety of customers. Good luck.

Just Me, D
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    At least you now know what to expect. Having said that, you made it perfectly clear that although you can accept a small ding, you will not accept the faulty backlighting so you might as well go back and exchange it for one that you find acceptable. The Geniuses at the Apple Store are used to dealing with a variety of customers. Good luck.

Just Me, D
    Yeah, I mean, the ding is no big deal. (The second one, at least. The first one was huge.) The genius even said that he would keep going through more boxes until he found me one that was perfect, but I didn't have the time tonight. Would be happier if I could just swap it for a brand new sealed box 5, but that's pretty much impossible. Oh well, I've got some time tomorrow night, so I'll stay there until I find one that's acceptable.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Well this is odd. The screen responsiveness on the new one with the bad screen is much better. So weird!

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well this is odd. The screen responsiveness on the new one with the bad screen is much better. So weird!
    You're going to mess around and start liking that particular device...(laughing)....
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    You're going to mess around and start liking that particular device...(laughing)....
    Ha. I sort of am, but the screen issue is REALLY noticeable with the non-optimized for iPhone 5 apps. Tomorrow I have time to sit there until we find a good one haha.

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Alright, my friend. Again, good luck tomorrow and give an update when you can. Take care. ...

Just Me, D
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Give it a day or two with the screen, it may just be glue drying and the yellowing will disappear. If not, do another exchange
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I don't think it's glue or anything else, because the pattern is consistent with an LED issue. I dunno, I could just wait until November when the supplies of replacement devices have switched to better stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Odd cosmetic issue-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1349933860.158751.jpg  
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

And a slightly better picture, without the reflection from the iPad in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Odd cosmetic issue-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1349934034.874963.jpg  
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Got my replacement phone yesterday, and I'm very happy. It doesn't have any defects at all (screen, scuffs or otherwise), and we got it on the first try.
    JustMe'D likes this.

Global Posts
    17,421 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Got my replacement phone yesterday, and I'm very happy. It doesn't have any defects at all (screen, scuffs or otherwise), and we got it on the first try.
    Outstanding! I knew you'd take care of it. Enjoy it as well as enjoy your day & weekend..
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Now you better make sure you put it in a case :-) lol I'm getting scared now I really hope the one I get arrives without any defects.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Global Posts
    2,986 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Threads like these make me feel better about having returned my ip5. I returned it for a
    few reasons. One did include a small scuff right out of the box. Top left corner of the
    screen. I plan on getting an iPhone 5 before the end of the year. I just hope that there is
    better quality control on the new batches that are being manufactured.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

I think they've worked through all those initial batches that had defects, because my original one was flawless too.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Threads like these make me feel better about having returned my ip5. I returned it for a
    few reasons. One did include a small scuff right out of the box. Top left corner of the
    screen. I plan on getting an iPhone 5 before the end of the year. I just hope that their is
    better quality control on the new batches that are being manufactured.
    They already are. My new phone, which I got two weeks ago, was flawless. (Beside the little specks, but that was me being REALLY picky instead of an actual manufacturing issue) You should be good with any of the newer batches.

Global Posts
    2,986 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

They already are. My new phone, which I got two weeks ago, was flawless. (Beside the little specks, but that was me being REALLY picky instead of an actual manufacturing issue) You should be good with any of the newer batches.
    I just wonder if there are already new batches. Of course I don't think that every phone that was made had a flaw.
    I remember somewhere around July 23rd or so, Rene made a post about how Apple decided on which prototype
    they wanted to go with and already started production. Back then that would have been two months of advance
    production. Which makes perfect sense. You gotta start making those suckers as soon as possible once you
    decide. I guess I just want to play it on the safe side and wait another month or so.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I just wonder if there are already new batches. Of course I don't think that every phone that was made had a flaw.
    I remember somewhere around July 23rd or so, Rene made a post about how Apple decided on which prototype
    they wanted to go with and already started production. Back then that would have been two months of advance
    production. Which makes perfect sense. You gotta start making those suckers as soon as possible once you
    decide. I guess I just want to play it on the safe side and wait another month or so.
    Given how many phones they've already sold, I would eat they have sold through their initial batches.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

I got my iPhone in the mail today from Verizon and it had a fingernail-shaped scratch in one corner and two white specks (black paint nicked off) in two other locations. No questions asked I was forwarded to the Genius bar tech and went to get a replacement.

1) They had TONS of replacements; I saw this entire Treasure Chest of marked white boxes.
    2) I went through three replacements; #1 was as bad as my original, #2 was more bearable but still had 2 marks, #3 which I settled on has 2 very fine and tiny lines but no actual paint chips or scratches. I will continue testing the screen/backlight and camera to ensure everything is gold.
    3) I don't know why I capitalized treasure chest. I must be playing too much Borderlands lately.

I will go out on a limb and say that those of you who still have to wait a few weeks (originally my iPhone wasn't even supposed to ship for two weeks) are better off because you'll more likely get an Apple-quality device right from the start. This was my first Genius experience ever and I was treated very well but it still sucks that i had to go through this ordeal for something so minor that shouldn't have happened in the first place. One miniscule scratch may not mean much now but if I sell the device in a year or two it can mean an immediate -$50 for something that wasn't even my fault.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Unfortunately, Foxconn isn't shipping the quality products they used to. I'm sure Apple has expressed their concerns to them..
    "People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks...- Brick Tamland"