Last day to make a decision....

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have seen this being commented about with some of the other android devices, which is another thing that concerns me with the S3. What IF the software has a glitch, needing a fix, and an update never gets pushed....then what - you're stuck with a device thats finicky at that point then!

Correct, and once the manufacturers one year warranty is up this is exactly what happens. At least with Apple you're basically guaranteed of having at least 2 years of software updates if not more as long as the device is capable of running the OS properly.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I also have had eyes for the S3 as well. I STILL have not completely decided what i'm doing either. I dont have the option to open another line and get the S3 while i still have my 4S to see if i really would like the change, so my only option would be to use the upgrade i have, get the S3 and use the 14days Verizon gives. At that point if i didn't like it i'd have to go thru wiping the device of all data, boxing it back up, get my refund, reset my upgrade...blah blah blah blah. you get the idea, and i'm really not willing to go through all that, nor do i have the time to. So i've been taking some time daily to research on the S3.

Theres the good, bad and unbelievable with some of the things i have read about it. Which then brings me to Apple. I've majority of the time read good things, like above what PlainEnvelopes experience was on 2 occassions, and just others that i've read about who have posted here on their positive experiences at Apple stores. This is what is keeping me with my 4S as well, beside the fact that i really do enjoy the way it functions, and at some point in time i do plan on getting the i5. Do both devices have their little glitches etc...yes. All devices do, none are perfect.

Basically, where i'm at right now, at the end of the day i'm thankful to have my 4S which is a solid device and works the way i want:)

Write yourself a pros/cons list for both devices and go by what YOU feel you want/need out of your device;) and hopefully you won't get into an argument with yourselp lol

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I also have had eyes for the S3 as well. I STILL have not completely decided what i'm doing either. I dont have the option to open another line and get the S3 while i still have my 4S to see if i really would like the change, so my only option would be to use the upgrade i have, get the S3 and use the 14days Verizon gives. At that point if i didn't like it i'd have to go thru wiping the device of all data, boxing it back up, get my refund, reset my upgrade...blah blah blah blah. you get the idea, and i'm really not willing to go through all that, nor do i have the time to. So i've been taking some time daily to research on the S3.

Theres the good, bad and unbelievable with some of the things i have read about it. Which then brings me to Apple. I've majority of the time read good things, like above what PlainEnvelopes experience was on 2 occassions, and just others that i've read about who have posted here on their positive experiences at Apple stores. This is what is keeping me with my 4S as well, beside the fact that i really do enjoy the way it functions, and at some point in time i do plan on getting the i5. Do both devices have their little glitches etc...yes. All devices do, none are perfect.

Basically, where i'm at right now, at the end of the day i'm thankful to have my 4S which is a solid device and works the way i want:)

Write yourself a pros/cons list for both devices and go by what YOU feel you want/need out of your device;) and hopefully you won't get into an argument with yourself:p lol

Wow Pink you considering a SG3? LoL. Not gonna lie before the iPhone 5 was released I truly believed in all the leaks imore would give us from their sources. So I was sold the leaks were correct. I actually was amazed when I went to my local sprint store and played with a SG3. So I took one home. Truly loved it but I missed the iPhone 4S/iOS within days. When pre order for the 5 was available I sold my 4S and returned the SG3 back to the sprint store. When I got my 5 I was happy and satisfied. The 5 is a great device and so is the SG3. I cannot bash the SG3 and when it gets JB it will be great. I just couldn't contemplate in leaving apple. My wife has a 4S, I have a 5, we have the new iPad, we have an iMac, we are getting the iPad mini for my son. So you see I'm heavily invested in apple ecosystem. BTW some of my apps that I use everyday on iOS weren't so great on android. That to me was a huge CON...FYI I used to be a blackberry addict.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Correct, and once the manufacturers one year warranty is up this is exactly what happens. At least with Apple you're basically guaranteed of having at least 2 years of software updates if not more as long as the device is capable of running the OS properly.
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts as far as Apple goes as well....yet another deciding factor for me to stay with the 4S the more pros/cons I weigh out;):)

Wow Pink you considering a SG3? LoL. Not gonna lie before the iPhone 5 was released I truly believed in all the leaks imore would give us from their sources. So I was sold the leaks were correct. I actually was amazed when I went to my local sprint store and played with a SG3. So I took one home. Truly loved it but I missed the iPhone 4S/iOS within days. When pre order for the 5 was available I sold my 4S and returned the SG3 back to the sprint store. When I got my 5 I was happy and satisfied. The 5 is a great device and so is the SG3. I cannot bash the SG3 and when it gets JB it will be great. I just couldn't contemplate in leaving apple. My wife has a 4S, I have a 5, we have the new iPad, we have an iMac, we are getting the iPad mini for my son. So you see I'm heavily invested in apple ecosystem. BTW some of my apps that I use everyday on iOS weren't so great on android. That to me was a huge CON...FYI I used to be a blackberry addict.
Sj, I too was a bb addict for years!!

As for the S3, again, another concern I have. The top 5 go to apps I use daily are avail on the S3, but again as you pointed out-how well do they function on it. I know they work flawlessly on my 4S. Again, lol, another pro of my 4S :)

EDIT: also just to add, I signed into the google play store with my gmail acct to check out some of the apps I use, and let me tell you I was not very happy to see what some of the apps have access to on your device:eek: that really kinda made me 2nd guess as well.....

Last edited:

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
@PINK

Exactly. I noticed this too. Now keep in mind you have control to turn those off but from default are set to ON. So what happens if you forget?? Google wants to know everything about you. Their services are great but they want to know everything about you. I noticed on the SG3 some of the apps lack stability on how they ran. In my opinion that right there is where apple dominates. The apps on iOS run as slick as butter. Totally flawless integration and no hiccups what-so-ever. I'm open to try to new things and I did with the SG3 but only for 1 week. Maybe in the future ill try them again or maybe BB10. Like I said I'm open to try new things. I will say right now the best 2 smartphones money can buy are the iPhone 5 and SG3.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 is a nice device, but don't expect to get anything more than JellyBean on it as far as OS updates go. Software updates is one area that Android devices will always be lacking in....

No I take that into my own hands with rooting and ROMing I don't expect Verizon to update it soon that's why I'm running jellybean AOKP build 4

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if you read the "Consumer Reports: iPhone 5 is "best iPhone yet"", but with the larger display, the "thinner and lighter profile," 4G LTE, and even the new and improved Siri, I think iPhone 5 is worth keeping.
As I have an iPad 3, a MacBook, an iMac, I think the iPhone 5 would match well with all of my devices. now is considering to buy the iPhone 5 :rolleyes:

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
also just to add, I signed into the google play store with my gmail acct to check out some of the apps I use, and let me tell you I was not very happy to see what some of the apps have access to on your device:eek: that really kinda made me 2nd guess as well.....

Thats a HUGE problem for me with google in general. Pros / cons of an open market I supposed but why does a flashlight app need access to my contacts? Crap like that doesn't fly with me. Very intrusive for no reason. Plus getting ads on my homescreen as widgets and in my notification bar.... Hate it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
@PINK

Exactly. I noticed this too. Now keep in mind you have control to turn those off but from default are set to ON. So what happens if you forget?? Google wants to know everything about you. Their services are great but they want to know everything about you. I noticed on the SG3 some of the apps lack stability on how they ran. In my opinion that right there is where apple dominates. The apps on iOS run as slick as butter. Totally flawless integration and no hiccups what-so-ever. I'm open to try to new things and I did with the SG3 but only for 1 week. Maybe in the future ill try them again or maybe BB10. Like I said I'm open to try new things. I will say right now the best 2 smartphones money can buy are the iPhone 5 and SG3.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...
Yep, i understand what you mean. I'm also open to trying new things as well, but in reality the whole getting the device, trying it, possibly have to return it because it wasnt what i expected can be a whole hassle. SO, just by reading & learning as much as i can, as well as my gut feeling, i'll make a decision that way :) (pros/cons list included)
Thats a HUGE problem for me with google in general. Pros / cons of an open market I supposed but why does a flashlight app need access to my contacts? Crap like that doesn't fly with me. Very intrusive for no reason. Plus getting ads on my homescreen as widgets and in my notification bar.... Hate it.
Yes, i can see that as being a PITA with the ads on your hs.

But as for the permissions, i know you can go into the menu and change the default settings, but what if you do forget. Needless to say, when you dwld the app and everything is immediately accessible, for those few mins before you change the defaults, who knows what info has been transmitted at that point already too.......

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am new to iThings after steadfastly believing that I just wasn't interested. BB for years, then Droid Pro (real keyboard), then hated Android so much that I bought a Windows phone. Never considered iPhone either one of those times. I have unexpectedly become a huge fan of Apple and iThings: they WORK (have never had an iThing crash - with two iPhones and an iPad); they are pretty gorgeous in their way; and Apple customer service is unparalleled.

Had I not already abandoned Android, I would have done so the minute Google announced that they were aggregating user data across all their platforms. Apps are one thing, for sure - and yes, you can set permissions to OFF or skip altogether. The HUGE deal for me is that Android itself IS Google - hence the apps are minor compared to all the data on the entire phone! There's no way to know what they use or how -- and I have nothing that anyone cares one bit about -- its the principle: Google OWNS that OS and have given notice, so they can do anything they want with anything you have on an Android phone, anytime they want to. THAT is the deal breaker for me. If I had had an Android phone at that time, I would have been knocking down carrier door to get out of contract -- choosing Android should not mean selling your soul. I know, Apple takes data too -- but the google linking-all-google-ish-things part just spooked me.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones as well and I can tell you straight up im getting rid of the S3. I have had a lot of fun rooting and flashing ROMs but I needed to do all that and get it out of my system....now ive realized the grass isnt always greener on the other side and I just want a smooth OS like iOS . I cant stand when people say android doesnt lag at all because that's complete bull- it DOES just not A LOT. But enough to where I realize iOS is better because stock iOS has literally never lagged on me before. I think I had a couple apps crash before but that's because of the apps not iOS. Plus ive noticed these AMOLED screens have burnt out pixels when theres dark colors being displayed on the screen u can see spots if ur in a dark enviroment its not a big de but enough to bug u once u notice it. AMOLED screens are so inferior to IPS and SUPER LCD screens like retina display and HTC screens. I love android though I have certainly not given up on android at all and will always continue to use those devices im gonna order a Nexus 7 soon and I hear that sometime in 2013 there will be phones with 5" HD high resolution displays that are super LCD. I think LG or SHARP is making them. Plus I want to see the nexus phone. But when it all comes down to it iPhone (5) is my daily driver because I just love it. Cant explain why but I do I love the reminders app and native mail app and everything. And games are WAY better than android....I play whale trail a lot and on my S3 it lags a lot and ill die and get pissed because the whale will just pause and then fall lol. On the iPhone whale trail is smooth as butter. So ya its personal preference- which phone do u use more? Do u like the customization on android better than the organization and task management on iOS? youll know which one u want to keep :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

skhdivers#AC

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me and because there are so many makers of different phones that run the android system each maker puts out a different version of say Jellybean so when your phone has an issue with an update that came out no one is able to fix it so it just stays broke or not working until another update comes out or never gets fixed. I switched to Iphone from droid razr and would never go back.

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
i will never be able to trust samsung with their phones.

my reason for going with ip5 will be the support that can be had from apple for hardware issues and software update at least for 2 years.

i currently have the motorola photon on sprint, its a year old phone running GB and last week moto announced they wont update it to ICS. that sucks for a year old phone which was supposedly hottest selling on sprint.

the only reason i am not switching now is coz i dont want to pay full price for ip5 and 4s is not worth getting as sprint 3g sucks.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That's basically where I'm at, I'm thinking of keeping the iPhone just because I know it won't get outdated and overlooked in the next month
Thats the exact reason I am going to give my S3 to my daughter in November and use her update to get me a Iphone5. I love the S3 thats not even debatable. The problem is with android . you never know how long your phone will be current of if it will get the next update or when. At least with Apple you know you are good for the most part for the life of the phone

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Thats the exact reason I am going to give my S3 to my daughter in November and use her update to get me a Iphone5. I love the S3 thats not even debatable. The problem is with android . you never know how long your phone will be current of if it will get the next update or when. At least with Apple you know you are good for the most part for the life of the phone

Which is exactly why if I ever get another Android device, I'm gonna get a Nexus device straight from Google.

total_telecom

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, if you have a Mac book, Mac and other Apple devices By all means get the iPhone, if you don't your insane to not go for the S3.

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I am new to iThings after steadfastly believing that I just wasn't interested. BB for years, then Droid Pro (real keyboard), then hated Android so much that I bought a Windows phone. Never considered iPhone either one of those times. I have unexpectedly become a huge fan of Apple and iThings: they WORK (have never had an iThing crash - with two iPhones and an iPad); they are pretty gorgeous in their way; and Apple customer service is unparalleled.

Had I not already abandoned Android, I would have done so the minute Google announced that they were aggregating user data across all their platforms. Apps are one thing, for sure - and yes, you can set permissions to OFF or skip altogether. The HUGE deal for me is that Android itself IS Google - hence the apps are minor compared to all the data on the entire phone! There's no way to know what they use or how -- and I have nothing that anyone cares one bit about -- its the principle: Google OWNS that OS and have given notice, so they can do anything they want with anything you have on an Android phone, anytime they want to. THAT is the deal breaker for me. If I had had an Android phone at that time, I would have been knocking down carrier door to get out of contract -- choosing Android should not mean selling your soul. I know, Apple takes data too -- but the google linking-all-google-ish-things part just spooked me.

Well said an I agree completely! When people ask me why I don't like android I say it's because it's Google. They usually look at me funny and I just tell them to read the terms of service for ANYTHING google and get back with me. Obviously nobody reads those things and don't realize how intrusive Google is with ANYTHING they have a hand in. Like you, I have nothing to hide it's just the principal of the thing.

I will only own WP or iPhones. I happily have no google account and my default search engine on my iPhone is Bing. Which come to find out I really like Bing! Call me crazy.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Sell them both for a Surface tablet and Lumia 920. iPhone will be catching up with features (NFC, wireless charging, etc) for a while, although once those are included the press will hail apple as the savior of the phone world again.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned you have VZW. How important is simultaneous voice and data via the mobile network? The S3 offers that feature, but the iPhone 5 on VZW does not.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal