Much needed UI refresh

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Some good conversations going on here, thanks keep it going. It's nice to see different views on what Apple need to do to the UI in the future.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This seems to be a bit more of a hardware addition than UI change, but one could argue that it does flirt the line...

Apple developing 'stealth' biometric security for iPhone

...and i think this is certainly going to be one of the front running "features" cell phone companies start pushing (especially with NFC becoming more and more popular and in demand as the years go on)...mobile device security is definitely going to be a major selling point in the coming years with people keeping very delicate and important information as they would on their computers (since these devices are essentially pocket computers).

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be a bit more of a hardware addition than UI change, but one could argue that it does flirt the line...

...and i think this is certainly going to be one of the front running "features" cell phone companies start pushing (especially with NFC becoming more and more popular and in demand as the years go on)...mobile device security is definitely going to be a major selling point in the coming years with people keeping very delicate and important information as they would on their computers (since these devices are essentially pocket computers).

I like the idea of fingerprint/facial/voice recognition as security. Of course my Nexus has facial unlock for security, which I used once, and never again.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought this thread was definitely a really good one and not like some I've seen that degrade into personal attacks lol. The biometric security would be awesom because it would be the easiest way to impliment a BiteSMS like feature of reading messages from the lockscreen among other things. I still think that Apple has held back from allowing text messages on the homescreen because of the security issues. If someone doesn't impliment a passcode for their device their at fault. However if someone who implimented a passcode loses a device or has it stolen and the messages can be read and responded to from the lockscreen it becomes something people will want to sue Apple over.

ltieperman

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I agree these devices are pocket PCs...I rarely use my laptop at home anymore unless I have to type a lot for one reason or another. I'm either on my phone or tablet. And with the smaller tablets coming into their own with the Nexus 7 and Kindle (I guess we'll include that one) and iPad mini, more folks will be carrying them around. Security is definitely a high priority.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Gotta butt in again. (I tried, but resistance is futile.) Something up there ^ caught my eye. A comment about not being aimed at an 80 year old. (No, I'm not that old.) However, my parents recently switched to iPhones from Android. While, most of you have parents younger than me, my father is 85 and my mother is 77. Mom doesn't use a computer anymore - she uses an iPad. She loves her combination of iPhone and iPad. Dad is still tied to his PC, but he does a lot of photo editing and has a fortune invested in things like Photoshop filters. Rambling, yea...lemme get back to the point.

The UI is easy. It is aimed at anyone, whether they are 16 or 80, who just wants to pick up the phone and go. It is aimed at anyone who doesn't want to have to go to a techie friend for help. And, boy howdy, Apple's aim is true. (Nod to Elvis Costello.) Dad has not asked a single question about using his iPhone, and I know he uses it to its full potential. (At 85!) Apple would be nuts to do much changing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Gotta butt in again. (I tried, but resistance is futile.) Something up there ^ caught my eye. A comment about not being aimed at an 80 year old. (No, I'm not that old.) However, my parents recently switched to iPhones from Android. While, most of you have parents younger than me, my father is 85 and my mother is 77. Mom doesn't use a computer anymore - she uses an iPad. She loves her combination of iPhone and iPad. Dad is still tied to his PC, but he does a lot of photo editing and has a fortune invested in things like Photoshop filters. Rambling, yea...lemme get back to the point.

The UI is easy. It is aimed at anyone, whether they are 16 or 80, who just wants to pick up the phone and go. It is aimed at anyone who doesn't want to have to go to a techie friend for help. And, boy howdy, Apple's aim is true. (Nod to Elvis Costello.) Dad has not asked a single question about using his iPhone, and I know he uses it to its full potential. (At 85!) Apple would be nuts to do much changing.

I made the comment, but i can see how it might be taken out of the context i was aiming at...i wasn't trying to say anything outside of the great point you just made about it being marketed to ANYONE, but i don't think i brought my thought across as clear as it was in my head. I was mostly trying to point out that there will always be certain people that can't figure out technology, even on a device that has such a easy to use UI as iOS devices do. Perhaps putting the age reflection in my post was a bit assumptive, my dad is getting up there in age and he certainly loves his iPhone AND iPad!

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
You say if apple does a major UI refresh then you wouldnt have to jailbreak. I think that when they stop selling tens if not hundreds of millions of idevices is when we will see a complete UI overhaul...... as for switching minor colors within the UI such as from blue to grey or circles instead of rectangles..... i hardly find that " Refreshing "

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You say if apple does a major UI refresh then you wouldnt have to jailbreak. I think that when they stop selling tens if not hundreds of millions of idevices is when we will see a complete UI overhaul...... as for switching minor colors within the UI such as from blue to grey or circles instead of rectangles..... i hardly find that " Refreshing "

Well I will probably still jailbreak since I like to customize the phone beyond what Apple intended it to be, lol. Changing the colors scheme is just an example. Knowing Apple, I doubt there will be a major UI anytime soon. If they do intend to update the UI, it will be phase out into small updates. Changing the color scheme IMO is a good start and some minor options to customize the UI in one's preference. And no I am not expecting the ability to theme, that will never happen in Apple's ways. All I'm asking is for Apple to start implementing UI changes wether it's minor or major. The UI has been practically the same since iOS 1. At some point it will start to look old in comparison to Android and Windows Phone. Heck, I am already starting to feel it looks dated compared to others. But then again as a Mac user, the osX hasn't changed much either. I guess at the end I need to start embracing the stock UI more and accept the fact that once Apple finally find the one that works, there's hardly any changes made.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow! Ive will be in charge of the UI now. Expect some new things! Maybe I wasn't the only one that feels iOS is looking dated. Firing Forstall certainly gives that thought. What are your thoughts of this major shift at Apple?

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see more UI changes as Apple updates iOS, but I don't feel a total revamp is necessary. Part of the reason the iPhone is so successful is because it's UI is simple and clean.

PS: I think the mix-up at Apple will be for the better. I think putting each exec in-charge of their respective departments places more accountability and emphasis on producing quality hardware and software. I guess we'll see..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73