iPhone 5 factory unlocked

nitishgera

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
My questions are these :

• Is the factory unlocked (no contract) iPhone 5 available at Apple Stores yet?
  • Is it available at third party stores? How much time has Apple usually taken to officially release the factory unlocked version of past iPhones?
  • If yes to #2, how much would the deviation in price be (at third party stores) from the officially released factory unlocked iPhone 5 prices.

Help would be much appreciated.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How is this possible now? What "database" are these eBay sellers putting our IMEI numbers in to get these unlocks?

Not sure how the sellers do it but it works. Imei gets added to Apples whitelist so when you restore iTunes will give you confirmation that the phone is unlocked.

via Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
All they need is your phones imei in 24 hours it will be unlocked.

Yep... worked for me. I had a non-AT&T SIM I could use to confirm. Prior to unlock, would say 'invalid SIM' or something like that. After the unlock, worked and activated like a regular AT&T SIM.

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I also used Unlock Fusion. As far as factory unlocked, the US Apple store does not sell them yet but the going price from AT&T is $649, $749 & $849 for 16G, 32G and 64G respectively. It would be cheaper to buy a locked one, have it unlocked and then pay the ETF rather than but a factory unlocked one. $199 for a 16G, $8.00 for unlock and $350 for ETF = $557.

nitishgera

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I also used Unlock Fusion. As far as factory unlocked, the US Apple store does not sell them yet but the going price from AT&T is $649, $749 & $849 for 16G, 32G and 64G respectively. It would be cheaper to buy a locked one, have it unlocked and then pay the ETF rather than but a factory unlocked one. $199 for a 16G, $8.00 for unlock and $350 for ETF = $557.

From what I've read, I figure that I will have to buy an on-contract iPhone 5 first, then have it unlocked via UnlockFusion. Is that correct?

Since I am not a US citizen, I cannot enter into a contract. How then is UnlockFusion helpful to me?

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
From what I've read, I figure that I will have to buy an on-contract iPhone 5 first, then have it unlocked via UnlockFusion. Is that correct?

Since I am not a US citizen, I cannot enter into a contract. How then is UnlockFusion helpful to me?

Yes, sorry I missed the part about you not being a US resident. In that case buying it unlocked is the way to go. As P said(and I just checked again) the US apple store is not selling the unlocked iPhone yet. You would have to buy it from another country or from AT&T/Verizon in the US.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why the hesitation on using the eBay method, thus far it has been 100% effective and easy to use with the members of this website at least...

nitishgera

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I have read reports that the Verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked out of the box. But I've also learnt that it is not easily available. Is this true?

My other option will be to buy factory unlocked from India (where I live) itself.

iPhone 5 is launching here in Mumbai on October 26th. It's rumored to be priced at around Rs. 45,000 (~$850)

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
Buying an AT&T iPhone 5 off contract (meaning you pay full price) at the Apple store automatically makes your phone factory unlocked. I purchased one on launch day for $649+tax and as soon as I synced it to iTunes, it displayed 'your iPhone has been unlocked'. This was the same experience I had when I purchased the 4S. So in other words, no need to wait for Apple to announce that unlocked phones are available for purchase.

nitishgera

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you guys.
I just pre-ordered my iPhone 5. It arrives in India on November 2nd.
iPhone 5 16GB factory unlocked - Slate - 45,500INR (850USD)
Hoping for a snuff/scratch-free iPhone.
Cheers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73