Videos loading slow on Wi Fi

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I was wondering if anyone else experienced slow or laggy video feeds on your phone even when it's connected to a Wi Fi for certain websites etc. The YouTube all videos loads fast with no problems on my Wi Fi connection. But when I go to dailymotion on the web browser the videos are slow to load and are laggy sometimes. But on my mom's iPhone 4 connected to the same home Wi Fi connection the site loads videos fine, no lag or anything. Also does the same thing when I watch live feeds on my churches website but loads fine on my mom's iPhone 4. You guys think I have a defective phone? Or is there something wrong with my Wi Fi connection? Any one else experience a issue like this? Where videos load slow or constantly freeze ( on video sites like dailymotion youtube etc) on your iPhone 5 connected to Wi Fi? Videos on 4G work fine btw.

Also I just did a restore and the issue is still there. Thanks in advance.

Kaze919

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel like its more the new YouTube app not buffering it properly. I always seem to have a problem using the YT app but never have any issues with the webapp.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Wifi on my iPhone 5 is horrible. I'm about to start looking for a fix for it. I can't load most videos (that load almost instantly on my wifi only iPad 2) so I'm thinking its either a weird setting or something's up with my wifi receiver.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat michikade. Web sites load really fast and some videos load fast as well( sometimes) but a lot of the time videos are load slow or freeze constantly on my Wi Fi connect. My iPhone 5 is the only device in my house that has this issue. Large downloads (like game apps) also take longer than they are suppose to. But when I am on the 4G network the phone works fine and is speedy. It has to be a bug with IOS 6 or my router.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I don't get... I ran speedtest at the exact same time, same app, same wifi connection.

Here's iPad

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349703577.925329.jpg

And here's iPhone 5

a5yjytyt.jpg

I'm so confused.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I feel like its more the new YouTube app not buffering it properly. I always seem to have a problem using the YT app but never have any issues with the webapp.

Same issue happening to me as well. The YouTube app is like the old YouTube app on ios5 where even if you were on wifi it took a painfully longtime to buffer. Still does that on my iPhone 5. I'm running on century link 20 MPS so I know I don't have a slow connection. Weird.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
No issues with wifi for me. Linksys router. I did reserve dhcp for it using MAC address. It's called wifi address in settings<general<about. Until i did this it would have trouble reconnecting sometimes or be connected and but not getting data for some reason.

339938195.png

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I have said this couple times in different thread... if you are using youtube I strongly recommend you check out m.youtube.com

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The YouTube app and the web app work fine for me on Wi Fi and 4G. It's other websites that I have problems with like dailymotion.com, IGN etc. it's either an issue with the website ( on their end) or a bug in IOS 6, an issue with my router ( which I doubt because all other devices load video fine) or I have a defective phone ( which I also doubt, but it could be the case).

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
As you can see from my screenshots, it is definitely a wifi connection problem on my end - I'm just not sure how to fix it. I have it set up exactly the same as my iPad.

I'll mess with it later and see if I can get it going faster. It's sad when 3G is better than twice as fast as wifi...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is my first iPhone. I did an iCloud restore from my iPad... I wonder if that has something to do with it.

It isn't a router problem on my end.

I googled the problem. I'm going to try adjusting the DNS settings to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Apparently some of it is encryption settings - sounds like some people are having an issue where iPhone isn't playing nicely with WPA2. This wasn't the case for me, but maybe it'll help some folks.

Mine may be a hardware issue. I'm not sure yet.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

I just wiped everything and started fresh, didn't fix the problem... Had to kick it to LTE just to re-download Speedtest.

Ugh. I suppose it's fast enough for email and text based things, but anything media rich has to go through LTE.

dgold1055

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a similar issue. I am finding certain apps are always slow downloading whereas others download quickly all the time. It is most notable with podcasts where some podcasts take forever to download (always the same ones) whereas others always download quickly. I have my iPhone 4S right next to my iPhone 5 on the same network and, for example, an 80mb Vergecast podcast will take 90 minutes to download on the iPhone 5 but only 2 minutes on the 4S. Both are running iOS6. The Engadget podcast of similar size will download on both in 2 minutes. I have this same thing happening with many podcasts. Ironically when go on the network in the Apple Store the problem doesn't exist. I do have a WPA2 network at home but even when I turn off the WPA2 the problem persists. I have had the iPhone 5 replaced already twice and it hasn't resolved the issue. Not sure if it is hardware or software - as it's possible the replacements were part of the same bad batch. I don't notice the problem during basic web browsing or emailing which is probably why many users aren't noticing the problem. My wife, for example, is not a power user and hadn't noticed the issue but when I tested her iPhone 5 it has the same issues.

mtavenger55

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I play a video on Youtube or the MLB At Bat app to watch a replay it works fine, but when I use Siri to look up a movie it just doesn't load.

angelinka

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having exactly the same problem, except that i am having this for the youtube videos. It doesn't matter which app, jasmine, youtube itself, McTube, playtube or other sites on Safari that imbeds Youtube videos, no matter what medium, it's painfully slow to load youtube videos on my iPhone 5 but not at all on iPhone 4s even when I tested them holding side by side over the same wifi network. But I don't have this problem on other video playing sites like wimp, TED, dailymotion. I don't know whether my iPhone is defective or what.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh