Porting your number, and final bill from AT&T.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I ported my number from AT&T to VZW on 9/22 and AT&T just billed me for usage. They show the account as canceled but that I'm billed from aug-sept on the amount they just billed me for in October. My next and final bill, paid in November, will be September usage. Is that the case for those of you who have ported numbers as well? Seems silly that for a month after my service is canceled I will still get a bill when carriers prebill the first month (as noted by the "why is my first bill so high?" comments and even the FAQ on their website)

Am I missing something? I have a note in to AT&T CS but something seems off.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've only ported a number over one time - Sprint to Verizon back in 2006. When I canceled and ported, they never charged me for usage, only the termination fee. I thought it was strange but I didn't ask questions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me when I ported my # from tmobile to AT&T when I got my 4s last year. I was told I didn't give them 30 days notice so I was billed for an extra month even though I wasn't with them any more. It's a total cash grab by them. They find a way to get ever nickel dime from you even when you leave them. So if anyone plans on porting their #s make sure you let your current company know 1 month Pryor.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So I ported my number from AT&T to VZW on 9/22 and AT&T just billed me for usage. They show the account as canceled but that I'm billed from aug-sept on the amount they just billed me for in October. My next and final bill, paid in November, will be September usage. Is that the case for those of you who have ported numbers as well? Seems silly that for a month after my service is canceled I will still get a bill when carriers prebill the first month (as noted by the "why is my first bill so high?" comments and even the FAQ on their website)

Am I missing something? I have a note in to AT&T CS but something seems off.

When in your billing cycle did you cancel?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Depending on when you got your account with AT&T.

Old accounts used to bill service first then bill, then about 6-8 years ago AT&T changed to bill first and then service. Hence you'd still get a bill in November. And let's not get into if your account is a business account (where you get a discount if you work for X company)...

All I know is I've ported out twice and in twice and each time it has costed me a small fortune...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Billing cycle goes through the 6th and I canceled on the 22nd.
I've had the account since it was Cingular - since 6/2004.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Billing cycle goes through the 6th and I canceled on the 22nd.
I've had the account since it was Cingular - since 6/2004.

Bingo.

Since your account is old, it's being billed in arrears instead of in advance. So the bill you last paid would have been up until the 6th, and anything after that would be for usage from the 6th to the 22nd. (But not billed until November, since your cycle technically went to the 6th of October) Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Bingo.

Since your account is old, it's being billed in arrears instead of in advance. So the bill you last paid would have been up until the 6th, and anything after that would be for usage from the 6th to the 22nd. (But not billed until November, since your cycle technically went to the 6th of October) Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

To add..
think of it as your only paying from 6 to 22 but they don't send last bill till after the 6th because that's when that cycle would have ended and generated a bill anyways

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW