Signal Loss on iPhone 5

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Was traveling today and had the Verizon circle in numerous spots with known 3G coverage. It's frustrating but even more so worrisome because its not likely going to improve. Now I need to figure it out if its bothersome to the point of returning it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Well I see I'm digging up an old thread here. But has anyone found a fix to this issue? It seems to be affecting my iPhone 5 as well.

If it loses 4G signal it seems to not be able to get it back. At work the 4G signal can go in and out as I move around the building. It drops to EDGE, then nothing, back to EDGE. It's like it's cycling through the networks trying to get a signal. It doesn't seem to drain the battery though. There is no LTE at my home yet.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately no. There were some on the apple forums that were saying 6.1 fixes this problem, but I am still having this issue just not as frequently.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately no. There were some on the apple forums that were saying 6.1 fixes this problem, but I am still having this issue just not as frequently.

Mine is behaving differently with 6.1 however. On 6.0.2 if it lost 4G it would then jump around to every network type. So it would say EDGE, then I would see the GPRS circle for maybe a second, then no service, then 1 bar with no network icon, then back to EDGE. The repeat. Yesterday it lost 4G and couldn't get it back but it seemed to remain solidly on EDGE this time. I replicated exactly the conditions as before and it still remained on EDGE. I reset the phone and 4G immediately appeared.

It seems that if it actually loses 4G, which at work can happen, it is unable to get back to 4G without a reset.

Should I visit Apple for a new one?

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
This is my second iPhone 5. First one was replaced for this exact problem. You can try to have it replaced and maybe you will have better luck than me. At least with this iPhone 5 it does not happen multiple times a day like the previous one.

aubreyq

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had an issue with signal strength flat-line in my house on my iPhone 5 (AT&T) while my wife's 4S (also AT&T) not changing one bit. So far AT&T has logged two incidents on my phone's signal. I don't get many phone calls and use WiFi at home so it's not a huge deal. AT&T is not that solid in my neighborhood anyway plus, outside my house, the signal is fine. Bottom line it seems to me that, in my situation, iPhone 5 is more finicky about signal strength than the 4S.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'll just see how it goes for a little longer. It's more annoying than anything. Guess I'll do some comparisons when my Nexus 4 arrives next week hopefully.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm having tis same issue on my iPhone 5 on VZW.... Anyone find a fix? I'm on my 2nd iPhone 5. I've reset network settings and that fixes the problem for a bit. But then the issue resumes a few days later. The only way t fix it is to turn on airplane more and then back off.

Anyone find a fix?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ive had almost 30 4s units and almost all have done this. It's a combo carrier+AppleOS+AppleHardware issue. It's been going on since Oct 2011. There are TONS of reports of this all over the internet now, and so far no firm fix. Some say go back to an old OS where it was known to start, but I have since tried that and updated through, and it has not fixed it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2