Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Buying from the US to bring back to the UK?

I'm off to New York in a few weeks and was thinking of buying an iPhone 5 unlocked but have a few questions;

a)With it being unlocked, will it work in the UK as normal as if I bought it there? I know that might seem an obvious question to some but I just want to be 100% sure

b)What is the likely-hood of me being able to go into an apple store and buy one there? i.e do I need to pre-order 1st or just walk in and pick one up there & then.

c)Is there anything else I might need to know if I get one and bring it back to the UK. I'm aware of possible import tax at the airport
    iMore Elite

2,761 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts

Default Re: Buying from the US to bring back to the UK?

First thing to note is that you need one that is AT&T compatible as the Verizon phones use different frequencies than we do here in the UK. I bought an AT&T iphone 4 in LA when they came out and it worked fine over here.

I missed tax as I put the empty box in my suitcase and carried the phone on me.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Buying from the US to bring back to the UK?

Which phone to get depends on if you want 3G or LTE. An AT&T or Verizon iPhone 5 should work on 3G GSM pretty much world-wide. LTE is a different story-carrier frequency bands are all over the place. I believe that Apple is selling 3 iPhone 5 variants: 1) worldwide 3G GSM and primarily US AT&T LTE frequencies, maybe Canada LTE as well, 2) US CDMA for Verizon or Sprint, worldwide 3G GSM, Verizon, Sprint, and various intl LTE frequencies, and 3) same as #2 without the US CDMA.