Those with limited data plans...how fast did you blow through yours this month?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My plan's cycle resets on the 26th...today, a little over a week later, I've reached my 4GB cap (I'm around 98%, lol!).

Now to be honest, i was using my phone a lot more than normal, and was pushing the LTE to see what kinds of download speeds and streaming speeds i would get vs. my WiFi at home, but this is going to be an expensive device when it comes to data usage, lol.

So...anyone else use up their allotted monthly data yet? Man i miss my unlimited data plan... :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just telling my brother the other day to be disciplined enough to be on Wi-Fi when he is at home even though Verizon's LTE speeds are tempting enough to want to use all the time. He and his 20 year old daughter have the iPhone 5 and love it. I bet the carriers are rejoicing this month.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It probably didn't help that i connected my Xbox 360 to it just to see how it would perform (and it did very well, lol). I'm hoping next billing cycle will see less erroneous using of the LTE data pig.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I managed to use nearly 5GB worth of data already... LTE is so tempting that I don't want to go on wifi which should be at 30/10... But never got the speeds. LTE gives me in the range of 50/20. Nothing beats that.

Kazakaz

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
My unlimited data switched to 2GB on the 15th. My cycle ends on the 13th, and so far I've used 960MB.

With unlimited, I usually used around 3GB a month. I always make sure I'm on WiFi now, except at work. I use Navigon for navigation now because it allows me to download whatever state maps I need on my phone. I've switched from Pandora to Slacker Radio with the $3.99 monthly access so I can cache stations to my phone. I was worried, but I'd say I'm doing pretty good. Just miss the feeling of never worrying how much data I use.

ibanana

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I luckily have unlimited, but I have managed to use almost 4 gb in the last 2 weeks now. This is way higher than my normal usage. I haven't been doing too much crazy other than listening to Spotify. No Youtube or Netflix streaming. I am guessing I may have the over night data usage bug. I am on AT&T.

I am switching my dad into an iPhone this evening and I warned him he had to watch the data usage as he will be on a limited plan. Luckily they have wifi at home (I dont)

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My cycle ends the 25th and I've used 1.3 gb, definetly more than before but I dont think I will go over 5gb...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It probably didn't help that i connected my Xbox 360 to it just to see how it would perform (and it did very well, lol). I'm hoping next billing cycle will see less erroneous using of the LTE data pig.

I ain't mad atcha..lol...I would have done the same thing. We men must test the limits of our toys even if it hurts in the wallet every now & then...:D

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My cycle resets on the 21st... at the half-way point, I've used just over 1.8GB of my unlimited plan...

stillzmatik

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately for me I am almost always connected to wi-fi whether at work or at home. I've been using my iPhone almost continuously over the last two weeks and I've a little under 400 MB. I couldn't believe it either. Note: I'm not in an LTE area.

mediaserve

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what carrier you guys are using, but many are saying the Verizon issue that caused cellular data to be used even when on WiFi is also affecting AT&T users. That could drive data usage way up (unfairly).

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Got my iPhone on the 21st, my data plan went from unlimited to 2 GB that day, reset the 24th. Literally had to turn cellular data off because I woke up Saturday morning with a text alert that I used 75% of my allotment. (Prorated to 3 days of data). Started the 4 GB share everything plan with my wife (4S) who barely uses data. Only at about 800 mb so far (700+ mine). I have been extra cautious, and fortunately I get 30-40 Meg's on my home wifi. Did test maps with I heart radio running and used about 100 Megs on a 25 minute ride home. Going to try to stick with the 4 GB plan, but going to 6 might happen soon, and is only $8 more a month.

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My families monthly average with sprint over the last 1.5 yrs was 2.5 gigs and our highest month was 3.5 gigs with 5 smart phones

Out 1st month on ATT shared we went 3.5 with 4 phones smart phones.

We are on the 10 gig plan

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Im on a 6GB plan and my plan started the day the iPhon5 5 game out... switched to VZW. I am at 1.4GB so I will easily be under my cap :)

Rolf

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got unlimited, but I've used 5.5gb since I got the phone on the 22nd. Now AT&T is throttling me so hard it's nuts. I can barely use spotify in my car, Facebook is slow, etc. Previously getting speeds of 45/15 on LTE, 10/4 on 4g, now I'm getting about .25 to .5 Mbps download and between .05 and .25 upload. I used the data plan I have, and AT&T has rendered my phone nearly useless.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've got unlimited, but I've used 5.5gb since I got the phone on the 22nd. Now AT&T is throttling me so hard it's nuts. I can barely use spotify in my car, Facebook is slow, etc. Previously getting speeds of 45/15 on LTE, 10/4 on 4g, now I'm getting about .25 to .5 Mbps download and between .05 and .25 upload. I used the data plan I have, and AT&T has rendered my phone nearly useless.

Sorry Rolf but it is well known we no longer have truly unlimited data an at&t, the throttle speeds suck specially now with LTE, it's time to start checking your data to make sure you dont get throttle that soon, or get a new plan if you really need to use that much data

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My cycle ends on the 23 with 6 smartphones 2 of them LTE we've surprisingly only used 2.5 out of 10 gigs. gigs so far. I urge my brothers and mom to stay on wifi when at home and it's worked well so far :) no overages here!

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have 100 Mb a month... Ridiculous amount of data, and it's not even needed. Billing date 24th, so between the 21st and the 24th I pretty much left LTE on all the time to see just how much three days would eat out of it, being on WiFi 23 hours out of 24. Used about 3 Mb, so about 30% of what I could have used. I don't take any chance nevertheless, and I now turn off cellular data whenever I don't need it. LTE isn't quite up to par yet in my area anyway : upload is ten times faster, but download is pretty much the same than on wifi - averaging 15 Mbps. I don't know if Bell got the data problem, I think Rene mentionned it had for some, but it did not happen for me. Used about 2GB in those first three days on wi-fi, and my billing was exactly on par with my Data Usage app, and my cellular usage in iPhone's settings. Ideally, I think I could try and get 500Mb a month, and just leave cellular data on and wifi on no matter what, and have peace of mind. I called my internet provider at home, and asked how many download I was averaging a month : unbelievable, but I normally use less than 5GB a month even with the iPad and the iPhone being on wifi on top of my PC usage. If one day I get a 3GB plan or something like you people have, I think I could just never use WiFi anymore. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR