Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Default Black pictures taken in complete darkness with flash...

So it has happened twice to me now on the iPhone5.

In a completely dark room, snap a few pictures and the flash goes off as expected. When you go to the camera roll to see the pictures they are completely black, well not completely, if you look carefully you can see the images, but barely. If you reboot the phone then try again everything works normally.

It is not just the stock camera either. When the issue happens I also try a picture with Camera+ and the result is the same. Again after a reboot it work fine.

This happening to anyone else??
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Black pictures taken in complete darkness with flash...

Mine is doing the same thing. Apparently its a software issue according to what I have found. Rebooting the phone is a temp fix.
    Thanked by:
    bamf-hacker (10-03-2012)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Do you know if it is only on the iPhone5? I need to get them added to our ordering portal, but I am going to hold off if it is a confirmed issue.

That's weird. My phone seems to be fine. I was taking pics in the dark last night & I had no issues.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My phone is the iPhone 5 for AT&T. I did some googling and found that many people are having a similar issue. Thats all I have found though. I havent had time to reach out to Apple about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibanana1 View Post
    My phone is the iPhone 5 for AT&T. I did some googling and found that many people are having a similar issue. Thats all I have found though. I havent had time to reach out to Apple about it.
    It looks like bamf-hacker is with AT&T also. I'm with Verizon...I wonder if that makes a difference.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

I did some more research and it is not carrier related. Looks like the flash and the shutter are off in the OS. A reboot is a quick temp fix, but an OS update is needed to take care of the issue. It is more of an annoyance now. The iPhone5 reboots fast so for now I will deal with it.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    I did some more research and it is not carrier related. Looks like the flash and the shutter are off in the OS. A reboot is a quick temp fix, but an OS update is needed to take care of the issue. It is more of an annoyance now. The iPhone5 reboots fast so for now I will deal with it.
    Rebooting is a temp fix, but when you are taking pictures you don't really want to be like oh wait i have to reboot to use the flash.

This was my frustration after several beers at the zac brown band concert last weekend.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

This happened on mine one time. I reset the network settings and it has not happened again. I don't know if it will help you or not, however, it might be worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Oh ok. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I haven't had any issues as of yet but I'll definitely post here if anything changes.
    Thanks for the info!!
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

I've heard about this , but the one thing that I can't stand on the iPhone camera is how literally 9/10 pics I take with flash on and in complete darkness- come out extremely blurry. It was the same on my 4S. My Samsung galaxy S3 doesn't do that, it will take normal pics in the dark. Sucks

Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

For those of you having issues with dark photo using the camera on the listed devices, try this. I was having exactly the same problem even when there was background lighting and the flash was on. By chance! while playing around with the camera I have found touching the screen on either product improved the poor quality and enhances the contrast and brightness. However it does not make any differeance when using the Panormic mode. If it works for you please let me know.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Corey the founder of thecellguru was having similar issues with his 5 when it first launch. He brought it back and got it replaced. Haven't heard any reports of him having a similar issue.

Sent from my game boy color
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

My GFs phone had the same issue. Took it to apple and they gave her another one. Update 6.0.1 had a "software fix" for the issue as described on the log but it didn't fix it. She got a new one and now the problem has been resolved

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk