Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By roll-tide
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

Default iPhone 5 won't send pictures

Either through wifi, iMessage, or the Verizon network this thing just won't send a picture....IF it does send, it takes at least 10 minutes to do so. I've rebooted, turned on/off iMessage and wifi...no change. It's not the network...my mother's iPhone 4 is sending fine, a friend's 4S is sending fine, and my wife's HTC Rezound is sending fine.

Any thoughts?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: iPhone 5 won't send pictures

This may seem silly but is the option "MMS Messaging" on in your settings?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This may seem silly but is the option "MMS Messaging" on in your settings?
    Lol you know I had to check just to make sure, but yes it is

sent using my Galaxy S3
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I was reading on another forum that some people were having issues if their iMessage was not sync'ed properly between iCloud and their iPhone Apple ID...obviously i can't see how this would effect WiFi mms messages but it may be something to look at.

Other than that, could be a SIM problem, or you might just have a bad iPhone, which is entirely possible. Good thing is, with issues like that, Apple will replace it without fuss and hopefully with a new iPhone and new SIM, you'd be good to go.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

I got no clue...never had a problem with it with other iPhones, or any other phone I've had. It's got the sim that came in the phone, hasn't been touched...and I really don't wanna go through the hassle of swapping the phone but at least I could restore my backup. Trying to keep this thing but I've got my s3 here too on wifi so I can play with both side by side, which is making that hard to do.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Tide View Post
    I got no clue...never had a problem with it with other iPhones, or any other phone I've had. It's got the sim that came in the phone, hasn't been touched...and I really don't wanna go through the hassle of swapping the phone but at least I could restore my backup. Trying to keep this thing but I've got my s3 here too on wifi so I can play with both side by side, which is making that hard to do.
    When i first got the iPhone 4 i had a similar problem (only not with MMS, it was with phone calls and voicemail). I swore it was a network issue but AT&T could find nothing and every "fix" i attempted yielded no results. I finally just went to Apple and told them what was up, they were baffled as well, and asked if i called AT&T...when i explained what i had already done they replaced it with no problem, and that one worked perfectly. With so many millions of them made, it's bound to happen that you get a dud...just like anything else i suppose.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    When i first got the iPhone 4 i had a similar problem (only not with MMS, it was with phone calls and voicemail). I swore it was a network issue but AT&T could find nothing and every "fix" i attempted yielded no results. I finally just went to Apple and told them what was up, they were baffled as well, and asked if i called AT&T...when i explained what i had already done they replaced it with no problem, and that one worked perfectly. With so many millions of them made, it's bound to happen that you get a dud...just like anything else i suppose.
    True...well I'll see if it gets better and maybe I'll swap it
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Tide View Post
    True...well I'll see if it gets better and maybe I'll swap it
    I'd certainly swap it before giving up on the it. I've experienced MUCH faster MMS performance (over WiFi and LTE obviously) on this new iPhone.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Same issue with mine on Sprint, sort of ( WiFi = no problems, but forget about cellular). True, I'm currently stuck with 3G, but considering that it surfs just fine, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it chokes on pics, particularly when my wife's 4S spits 'em out as fast as she can snap 'em.

Like the OP, I'd rather not return it, particularly when it's nigh unto impossible that this could be a hardware issue given the nature of the problem.

Regards,
    Adam
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

New SIM card... Seems to be fixed now. Yay!
    SeanHRCC and ibanana like this.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Glad the SIM card swap was the fix. That would have been my guess on the problem.
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you...that did it! Really appreciate your help.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Apple states (and I concur) that you cannot send MMS texts over WIFI only on iphone5 or any IPads .
    You must use your data plan to send iMessage pics, videos etc, etc.
    What you Can do without using any data is send through PhotoStream to an email Adress which will provide a link to your recipients that will take them to the site to view and reply to you. It is not restricted to only apple profucts that way either.
    Stop knocking your brains out I am sorry to say that the IPhones an IPads just do not support Mms over Wifi ONLY.
    Call Apple at 1-800- 275-2273 to confirm....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

MMS is sent through the Verizon network not wifi

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts

Did someone say that mms messages are sent over wifi and I missed it? What's the deal with bringing up my old thread that has been resolved for no reason at all?
    iPhone Nanite

youre a superstar - as simple as that and who woulda thunk it
    iPhone Nanite

Hi guys I have spent £10+ and around 3 hours on the phone to Vodafone but I have managed to find a solution for my problem and probably yours too ... Go to settings and general .... Reset .... Reset network settings ... Then back to settings and go to cellular settings then cellular data network ... Delete the 3 dots in the two fields and replace them with the word wap I'm both of them ... Then in mms max message size delete the number 307200 ... Then turn off iMessage and send yourself a mms ... This has worked for me and a few other people on Vodafone ... Hope it helps !!
    iMore Nanite

Reset network settings and you'll be fine.
    Go to settings>general>reset>reset network settings
    iMore Nanite

I contacted Apple and spoke with a rep. He was helpful, had me reset the network settings on my phone back to the defaults.. Had me reinstall AOL as well. Nothing worked.

He then transferred me to his upper tech support. He advised me to send the emails to his Apple supervisor with pic attached and I did. I also sent to my friend and myself and none of them got the picture at all.

She at Apple seemed to think it was a problem with AOL and transferred me over to them. She said she'd wait with me until they said it would be a 20 minute hold time. She gasped and she left the line.

Finally 10 minutes later, AOL came on and stated they have not had any issues regarding pics being sent from iPhone to any of their AOL email accounts. No problems with their servers and they have NOT heard of this issue until now.

As I had stated numerous times to Apple. I have not had this problem with my 4s or 5s up until about 3-4 weeks ago sending a pic from my Iphone to my AOL email account.

I did try to send a pic from my iPhone to my other email address; @gmail.com and it did NOT work either

Therefore it seems to me to prove that it's not an AOL issue, but an iPhone issue. Why was it possible to send pics to my email address in November and December and not now? Guess I'll have to make a trip to the Apple store.