Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 278
Like Tree128Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Goofypook's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

    1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
    2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
    3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

    Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

    FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!
  2. #2  
    sunrat39's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

    Default Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    I don't mean to be that guy but there are millions of posts similar to this all around the Internet.

    Also, you state how we won't consider any other devices because we are apple fans is bit ignorant.

    I myself don't blindly follow apple. I research my products and apple has won me over.
  3. #3  
    idrewpage's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    This is a hilarious post. In truth, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Neither platform is inherently better than the other. Which one is better is totally based on how well a product fits in your life (fan boys not withstanding).
  4. #4  
    Highrisedrifter's Avatar

    Posts
    1,138 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,293 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Hopefully my post here on the forums will give you my insight and reasoning from swapping BACK to an iPhone after owning an Android device (S3) for a while.

    Link here - http://forums.imore.com/sprint-forum...galaxy-s3.html
  5. #5  
    big9erfan's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,460 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    I have a mac, the iphone fits into my ecosystem really well. I've considered Android, my real worry about the system is the fact that Google doesn't really have any influence over what devices get what version of the OS, it's up to the manufacturer or even to the carriers. The manufacturers have very little reason to continually push out updates since they release new devices so often ( most Android device manufacturers are releasing 2 - 3 devices per year? ).

    With the iPhone 4 I had iOS4 - iOS6. Even the 3GS was eligible for iOS6 and that device has been out for over 3 years. How many Android devices that have been out for 3 years have gotten Android updates?

    I'm not an Android hater by any means....the OS does a lot of good things, I just worry about the longevity of my device.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Goofypook's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Sunrat I never stated that Apple fans wont consider anyother device??? Im actually looking for the apple fan who wont to tell me what "Their" reasons are??? I dont care if you do only like apple, Im just trying to find out "WHY". Its no different than choosing a particular Pizza company, im just trying to get real Iphone fans to tell me why they love their phone without bashing another, Thats all...

    Please dont twist my words.

    Thank you

    ---------- Post Merged at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:56 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by idrewpage View Post
    This is a hilarious post. In truth, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Neither platform is inherently better than the other. Which one is better is totally based on how well a product fits in your life (fan boys not withstanding).

    So in your opinion its more of a looks thing that drives consumers and not whats under the hood? I would agree to some extent, but I would think there is something besides that which would attract people.

    ---------- Post Merged at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:56 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    I have a mac, the iphone fits into my ecosystem really well. I've considered Android, my real worry about the system is the fact that Google doesn't really have any influence over what devices get what version of the OS, it's up to the manufacturer or even to the carriers. The manufacturers have very little reason to continually push out updates since they release new devices so often ( most Android device manufacturers are releasing 2 - 3 devices per year? ).

    With the iPhone 4 I had iOS4 - iOS6. Even the 3GS was eligible for iOS6 and that device has been out for over 3 years. How many Android devices that have been out for 3 years have gotten Android updates?

    I'm not an Android hater by any means....the OS does a lot of good things, I just worry about the longevity of my device.
    Great post, I completely agree! This is one of the reasons I excluded rooting and jailbreaking, because I know exactly where the Android lover would spin your post!
  7. #7  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Hopefully my post here on the forums will give you my insight and reasoning from swapping BACK to an iPhone after owning an Android device (S3) for a while.

    Link here - http://forums.imore.com/sprint-forum...galaxy-s3.html
    i read this earlier and i want to thank you for the great insight

    i have been pondering going to the GS3 for a while now and after researching more and more i am not so sure i will be making the change
  8. #8  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Many of the things typically listed are moot points because of how subjectively opinionated they are...that said, here are a few facts about the iPhone 5 that make it better in certain facets...

    - Better camera...many have argued in the past that the Android based phones have comparable cameras, all the way up to the 4S (which i still feel was superior to the GSIII), but now, with the iPhone 5, it's a pretty set in stone fact, the camera is better on the iPhone than the GSIII.

    - Faster processor...will it make a difference on what you use your phone for everyday? Probably not, i doubt you'll see much slow down playing games or performing daily functions that your everyday consumer has on either device, but that said, the processor has been tested and is faster than the GSIII, will it ever make a difference? Maybe, maybe not...but the saying goes, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

    - Better audio...again, something that has been tested but probably wouldn't make a huge difference to your everyday user. Audiophiles are actually better off with the 4S, as it scored higher than the 5 in audio quality, but as far as the iPhone vs. GSIII, the iPhone wins hands down in this department.

    - Lightweight and slimmer profile...this starts flirting the line with subjective, but i think most people want a lighter phone that still uses higher end products (metal vs. plastic). Will everyone like the lighter product? Nope, we've had many (including my wife) who have said they like the weight of the 4/4S better...but the positive progression of phones obviously points to lighter and thinner, and the iPhone did both by quite a bit.

    ...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but that's a start. Leaving aside the opinionated responses, the two phones are quite similar which is why saying one is generally "better" than the other is kind of a useless statement, since one might work better than the other for any given person. They are both excellent handsets.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  9. #9  
    finn5975's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    836 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofypook View Post
    Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

    1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
    2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
    3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

    Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

    FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!
    I am going to play along on the assumption that you are being sincere. I have owned every iphone, as well as a 5 month period with the Galaxy Nexus and 3 week period with the Galaxy S3. I will list the reasons why the iphone 5 works better for ME than the Galaxy S3.

    1. I do not like amoled displays. I love the bright true whites, accurate colors, and crispness of the iphone display. I do not like what I perceive to be over saturated, cartoon like colors of the amoled display. It bothered me that I could take a picture outdoors, and everything from the grass, to the sky, would look so overdone on the GS3 yet that same pic looked natural on my computer, iphone, etc.

    2. My battery life on the S3 was poor at best. I am not one to carry around spare batteries, or dim my display to a very low level of brightness so this was an issue for me.

    3. I could not use the S3 to video record at loud venues like concerts. The sound was completely distorted and unusable. That was very disappointing to me. My two buddies with S3's had the same experience.

    4. Size. I am 6'8" tall with pretty large mits and I still found one-handed usage to be challenging. This was a turnoff to me despite liking the large screen.

    5. A fair amount of my go-to apps are not available on android's platform. In searching for them, I found that the developers had no intention of making them available to android. This was a negative.

    6. Lag was definitely more noticeable on the S3. Not saying there was a ton, but noticeable compared to the iphone.

    7. Personal preferences. I prefer the keyboard, photo gallery, and texting on the iphone. Yes you can get custom everything on the android but in the end I was left searching for anything that replicated the iphone on these three things and was unable to. The versions that claimed to be identical fell way short.

    8. As much as iTunes can be a pain in the ***, it also made backing up everything on my phone a one click process. I like that fact. I do not root or rom so things like titanium backup were not a use to me.

    There you have it. Just my view on it.
  10. #10  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,942 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,566 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofypook View Post
    Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

    1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
    2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
    3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

    Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

    FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!
    I'd be happy to oblige but i'm lazy and to me, you're a noob (or troll) with no credibility til proven otherwise. Search for other threads where this has been discussed to death. "I don't like being restricted" is stupid. You need to be detailed on why you aren't an iphone guy and why you're a "droid" guy. It's your thread. You start.
    Thanked by:
    BLiNK (10-03-2012)
  11. #11  
    Roo Zilla's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Objectively, there's no reason an iPhone 5 is any better than an S3. There are things iP5 does better than the S3, and there are things the S3 does better than the iP5. Personal preferences are just that, personal. One particular person might prefer the size, one might prefer the apps, another might like the fact it works with their Apple TV. On the flip side, the S3 fans can point to things like customizations, bigger screen, better maps, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

    Eventually though, I think the single largest divide between the S3 Fandroids and iP5 iSheep comes down to this, playing with the phone. There are some people who genuinely enjoy playing with their phone. By that I mean tinkering with it via various customizations, rooting the OS, overclocking the processor, etc., etc. I understand there are computer people who enjoy doing the same kind of thing via DIY and guys using things like liquid nitrogen to cool their CPUs and stuff. Then there's the group of people who don't enjoy this kind of thing at all. There's nothing wrong with either approach. Some people think of their smartphone as something of a hobby, where they try to make it theirs by personalizing the heck out of it. I know one guy who's phone is different every time I see him. Other people think of a phone as more as a tool for running software, and couldn't care less about about the rest as long as it runs the software fine. They don't want to be bothered having to personalize a phone. Again, there's nothing wrong with either approach, and the frequent jabs both camps take at each other and the endless nitpicking is really just silly.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 (10-04-2012)
  12. #12  
    RealNeal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    215 Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    For me its:

    1. The SIII is 'cheap' plastic, not as well made or designed. I like quality.
    2. The SIII is WAY too big for me. I want a slim, flat, light-weight, slip-into-my-jeans form factor. I also want comfortable 1-handed use. The iPhone delivers these advantages.
    3.After following the Apple/Samsung trial, I think Samsung as a company are a bunch of pirates/rip-off artists, and now I would never buy one of their products if given a choice. I would go Nokia before Samsung. I hope Apple replaces them as a component manufacturer over time and look forward to the day we have a Samsung-free iPhone.
  13. #13  
    roll-tide's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    377 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    I've had the S3, it's in the closet now....got a new iPhone 5 yesterday. Barely a handful of apps that I use are optimized for the taller screen, but yeah in time that will work itself out. I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it, but at this point I'm almost positive it's going back later today. Here's my comparison of both of them, and I'm not a "fanboy" of either.

    Battery life
    S3- at least 10 hours a day on heavy usage for me...longest I've gone is about 20 hours
    iPhone 5- looks to be just as good, maybe better

    Screen clarity
    S3- colors are slightly too saturated compared to the iPhone 5, but clarity or sharpness (whatever you wanna call it) is close
    iPhone 5- colors more true to life, nice and clear (just tiny compared to what I'm used to)

    Speed
    S3- set up the way I have mine, it's blazing fast...faster opening apps/navigating than the iPhone 5
    iPhone 5- better than the 4 for sure, but not sure it's much better than the 4S..just going off memory (not taking into account lte)

    Voice actions/Siri
    S3- apps are available that are close (AIVC is my pick), but nothing is even on par with Siri
    iPhone 5- BIG win here

    Maps
    S3- hasn't given me a problem yet, navigation works perfectly for me
    iPhone 5- haven't used it much, but the satellite images i've compared are older images on apple maps...not a biggie

    I know you wanted to hear what makes an iPhone 5 better, but for me I just haven't seen much to make that argument. At this point I will most likely be going back to the S3, it has not given me one problem...on the other hand, for the life of me I cannot figure out why this iPhone won't send a simple picture. It takes at least 10 minutes to send, IF it sends. I will be starting a thread about that as to not clog up this one.

    Bottom line, my opinion...keep the S3, there's not much reason the iPhone 5 is "Better" other than personal preference. I'd put my S3 up against this iPhone 5 on just about anything....except Siri. LOL
    Goofypook likes this.
  14. #14  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNeal View Post
    For me its:

    1. The SIII is 'cheap' plastic, not as well made or designed. I like quality.
    2. The SIII is WAY too big for me. I want a slim, flat, light-weight, slip-into-my-jeans form factor. I also want comfortable 1-handed use. The iPhone delivers these advantages.
    3.After following the Apple/Samsung trial, I think Samsung as a company are a bunch of pirates/rip-off artists, and now I would never buy one of their products if given a choice. I would go Nokia before Samsung. I hope Apple replaces them as a component manufacturer over time and look forward to the day we have a Samsung-free iPhone.
    #3 is ridiculous (in the discussion as to why the iPhone 5 is better that is)...ALL of the companies who have been suing each other are idiots...Apple included. They are taking the development aspect out of the picture and using the "become better through lawsuits" tactic, and that does nothing but hurt the consumer. Don't get me wrong, i think Samsung was in the wrong it most of the situation, but the public nature of the suit combined with the fact that the companies were trying to keep each other from progressing is just stupid, and is shameful on all sides of the fence.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  15. #15  
    ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Hopefully my post here on the forums will give you my insight and reasoning from swapping BACK to an iPhone after owning an Android device (S3) for a while.

    Link here - http://forums.imore.com/sprint-forum...galaxy-s3.html
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i read this earlier and i want to thank you for the great insight

    i have been pondering going to the GS3 for a while now and after researching more and more i am not so sure i will be making the change
    Thank you also Highrisedrifter. Like BLiNK, i've too been interested in possibly switching to the sgs3, but the more i read into it also, the more unsure i am as well for making the switch.

    Just to add, i dont think the sgs3 is a terrible device, just for me, the 4S has been working well & idk if i want to "interupt" that grove i've got going
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    joyfullmom2 likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Goofypook's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by finn5975 View Post
    I am going to play along on the assumption that you are being sincere. I have owned every iphone, as well as a 5 month period with the Galaxy Nexus and 3 week period with the Galaxy S3. I will list the reasons why the iphone 5 works better for ME than the Galaxy S3.

    1. I do not like amoled displays. I love the bright true whites, accurate colors, and crispness of the iphone display. I do not like what I perceive to be over saturated, cartoon like colors of the amoled display. It bothered me that I could take a picture outdoors, and everything from the grass, to the sky, would look so overdone on the GS3 yet that same pic looked natural on my computer, iphone, etc.

    2. My battery life on the S3 was poor at best. I am not one to carry around spare batteries, or dim my display to a very low level of brightness so this was an issue for me.

    3. I could not use the S3 to video record at loud venues like concerts. The sound was completely distorted and unusable. That was very disappointing to me. My two buddies with S3's had the same experience.

    4. Size. I am 6'8" tall with pretty large mits and I still found one-handed usage to be challenging. This was a turnoff to me despite liking the large screen.

    5. A fair amount of my go-to apps are not available on android's platform. In searching for them, I found that the developers had no intention of making them available to android. This was a negative.

    6. Lag was definitely more noticeable on the S3. Not saying there was a ton, but noticeable compared to the iphone.

    7. Personal preferences. I prefer the keyboard, photo gallery, and texting on the iphone. Yes you can get custom everything on the android but in the end I was left searching for anything that replicated the iphone on these three things and was unable to. The versions that claimed to be identical fell way short.

    8. As much as iTunes can be a pain in the ***, it also made backing up everything on my phone a one click process. I like that fact. I do not root or rom so things like titanium backup were not a use to me.

    There you have it. Just my view on it.
    Great post, thanks! If you dont mind me asking, what are some of your go to apps that are only on an Iphone. Also did you have a s3 and decide it wasnt for you, or do you have two handsets?
    Thanked by:
    zeteo#IM (10-20-2012)
  17. #17  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    #3 is ridiculous (in the discussion as to why the iPhone 5 is better that is)...ALL of the companies who have been suing each other are idiots...Apple included. They are taking the development aspect out of the picture and using the "become better through lawsuits" tactic, and that does nothing but hurt the consumer. Don't get me wrong, i think Samsung was in the wrong it most of the situation, but the public nature of the suit combined with the fact that the companies were trying to keep each other from progressing is just stupid, and is shameful on all sides of the fence.
    Sean, while I absolutely understand your point of view, I'm not sure I can subscribe. (Yes, point #3 above IS absurd.) Sure the "sue me and I'll sue you" crap is stupid and a waste of everyone's time and resources... but how is a company to protect it's intellectual property and design patents? Clearly they have a right do defend themselves (everyone does, NOT just Apple or Samsung or HP or any specific company/entity)... but I am definitely leaning towards the "can't we all just get along" camp. I say we include everything in FRAND and just license it between companies. It would be like "Apple, you invented/discovered this. Samsung, you invented/discovered that. Microsoft, you created this. Now, just play nice and let everyone share your toys". For a reasonable fee, of course.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Goofypook's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd be happy to oblige but i'm lazy and to me, you're a noob (or troll) with no credibility til proven otherwise. Search for other threads where this has been discussed to death. "I don't like being restricted" is stupid. You need to be detailed on why you aren't an iphone guy and why you're a "droid" guy. It's your thread. You start.
    First off im sorry that you are Lazy... Im not trolling at all, and never said i was a droid guy. I stated I preffered the droid. To me there is no such thing as a droid guy because there are 10,000 different droid models as apposed to one iphone?? I have never owned an iphone and have nothing against someone who does...but for me to compare the two would be foolish and reckless since i have never used an Iphone...Hence trying to get more information? Obviously I have struck a nerve and you feel the need to defend yourself. Calm down Chuck, its not that serious...
    nikkisharif likes this.
  19. #19  
    RealNeal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    215 Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    I disagree. I think what came out of the trial was clear evidence that Samsung felt compelled to rip-off / duplicate everything Apple did. That dishonesty factors into my decision as a consumer and which companies I decide to hand my dollars over to.
  20. #20  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,580 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,374 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofypook View Post
    Hello all, Im posting this here because I would like an honest constructive answer to this question. I myself am not an IPHONE guy, and have always preferred Droid(main reason is I dont like being restricted). I know there are millions upon millons of Iphone fans, and im hoping you can tell me why you are and will always be an Iphone person. Things that are un needed in this discussion:

    1. I like Iphone because droid sucks-thats not a reason and tells me nothing.
    2. Iphone is cool??? what does this even mean...
    3.Because ive always had one...Well WHY??

    Im not trying to start a great debate, I just want to know what REAL Iphone fans love about their phones and why they will only have Iphones and never consider anything else. Also for this discussion I would like to leave out any mentions of Jailbreaking/Rooting. I think its irrelevant to a good majority of folks and I am trying to find out what makes this a better product than the S3 coming straight out of the Box.

    FYI I have an S3. Thanks in advance for keeping it civial and informative!!
    I've had an iPhone since the original came out. It wasn't until earlier this year I tried something else. I tried the Lumia 900 for awhile and now have been using the Galaxy Nexus for a good while now. I don't know why we get locked into these debates over which is best. For intents and purposes I will just compare Android and iOS; to me all Android phones are the same but either with a skin or no skin. Better is subjective and no one will ever agree. They are just different, but not really.

    Honestly, after using Android IMHO it's literally the exact same thing as an iPhone. The only difference is that you can customize it and swap out stuff like keyboards, spring boards, and really what ever else you want to do. But at the most basic level with stock Jelly Bean, it's the freaking exact same thing. Rows of app icons on the screen. There isn't a single thing Android does that I couldn't do on my iPhone usability wise. In fact there are several things I miss from iOS such as the universal inbox; I hate email on Android. The only thing the iPhone can't do is customize the OS and phone to your liking. That's really it IMO. The apps even all have the exact same UI, function the same, and display the same content.

    When I got into customizing and messing with Android though is when I actually started to like it the least. After loading up a new spring board and trying to make it look really cool I found that in every day use I was forgetting how to do something. Many times I was like, wait what happened; oh yea I changed that two days ago. So now I'm on stock Jelly Bean. I find I use it just like my iPhone. Widgets were neat for about a day. Then I found they were just in the way and didn't really give me any useful information. Some apps are lacking. I haven't yet found a good basic list app. I also haven't found a comparable bill reminder app either that I like. Many apps also ask for ridiculous permissions such as a list app I tried wanted permission to see my phone calls. Then every time I got a call this little pop up that was completely useless would come up. Lots of apps are like that.

    I am in love with swiftkey 3 I will admit. Apple should buy them because this keyboard rocks hard and blows away anything else on any platform. While I do find the big screens nice when reading stuff I do get annoyed when UI elements are poorly laid out and I have to stretch my thumb across the screen. But bigger doesn't mean better to me. It's just different.

    I'll sum it up. The S3 just doesn't bring anything to the table that wows me and is like I must have that. Big screen; that's cool. More RAM; neat. SD card slot; OK. NFC; maybe some day it will be useful. Wireless charging; now that's interesting. Touch screen that works with gloves, say what? A hardware stabilized camera; haven't seen that before in a phone. Un-scratchable polycarbonate body! Where can I get one of those? Oh yea; it's called the Lumia 920. Give me something something I haven't seen before and I'm interested. But the S3; been there done that.

    In the end though I've found I want to spend time actually using my phone and just pick it up and go. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything little thing tweaked. I'd rather spend all that time living instead of setting up my phone in an endless loop of customization.

    But this debate will never end and is useless really. It's no different than debating if green peppers are a better pizza topping than onions. Or that the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3. Everyone likes what they like and buys what they want to buy. Why does that seem to get people so bent out of shape?
  21. #21  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Sean, while I absolutely understand your point of view, I'm not sure I can subscribe. (Yes, point #3 above IS absurd.) Sure the "sue me and I'll sue you" crap is stupid and a waste of everyone's time and resources... but how is a company to protect it's intellectual property and design patents? Clearly they have a right do defend themselves (everyone does, NOT just Apple or Samsung or HP or any specific company/entity)... but I am definitely leaning towards the "can't we all just get along" camp. I say we include everything in FRAND and just license it between companies. It would be like "Apple, you invented/discovered this. Samsung, you invented/discovered that. Microsoft, you created this. Now, just play nice and let everyone share your toys". For a reasonable fee, of course.
    Oh no, trust me, i think they were purely justified in the suit (though i think the continued banter back and forth is a bit ridiculous)...i was referring strictly to this being used to show which phone was better (in any case really, not just iPhone vs. GSIII). What i was essentially saying was that nothing within an opinion on the lawsuit is a legitimate comparison stance between which phone is better than which...and nothing within those lawsuits helps better the phones at all (as it s development...regardless of legitimacy on either side).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Fausty82 likes this.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    Goofypook's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I've had an iPhone since the original came out. It wasn't until earlier this year I tried something else. I tried the Lumia 900 for awhile and now have been using the Galaxy Nexus for a good while now. I don't know why we get locked into these debates over which is best. For intents and purposes I will just compare Android and iOS; to me all Android phones are the same but either with a skin or no skin. Better is subjective and no one will ever agree. They are just different, but not really.

    Honestly, after using Android IMHO it's literally the exact same thing as an iPhone. The only difference is that you can customize it and swap out stuff like keyboards, spring boards, and really what ever else you want to do. But at the most basic level with stock Jelly Bean, it's the freaking exact same thing. Rows of app icons on the screen. There isn't a single thing Android does that I couldn't do on my iPhone usability wise. In fact there are several things I miss from iOS such as the universal inbox; I hate email on Android. The only thing the iPhone can't do is customize the OS and phone to your liking. That's really it IMO. The apps even all have the exact same UI, function the same, and display the same content.

    When I got into customizing and messing with Android though is when I actually started to like it the least. After loading up a new spring board and trying to make it look really cool I found that in every day use I was forgetting how to do something. Many times I was like, wait what happened; oh yea I changed that two days ago. So now I'm on stock Jelly Bean. I find I use it just like my iPhone. Widgets were neat for about a day. Then I found they were just in the way and didn't really give me any useful information. Some apps are lacking. I haven't yet found a good basic list app. I also haven't found a comparable bill reminder app either that I like. Many apps also ask for ridiculous permissions such as a list app I tried wanted permission to see my phone calls. Then every time I got a call this little pop up that was completely useless would come up. Lots of apps are like that.

    I am in love with swiftkey 3 I will admit. Apple should buy them because this keyboard rocks hard and blows away anything else on any platform. While I do find the big screens nice when reading stuff I do get annoyed when UI elements are poorly laid out and I have to stretch my thumb across the screen. But bigger doesn't mean better to me. It's just different.

    I'll sum it up. The S3 just doesn't bring anything to the table that wows me and is like I must have that. Big screen; that's cool. More RAM; neat. SD card slot; OK. NFC; maybe some day it will be useful. Wireless charging; now that's interesting. Touch screen that works with gloves, say what? A hardware stabilized camera; haven't seen that before in a phone. Un-scratchable polycarbonate body! Where can I get one of those? Oh yea; it's called the Lumia 920. Give me something something I haven't seen before and I'm interested. But the S3; been there done that.

    In the end though I've found I want to spend time actually using my phone and just pick it up and go. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything little thing tweaked. I'd rather spend all that time living instead of setting up my phone in an endless loop of customization.

    But this debate will never end and is useless really. It's no different than debating if green peppers are a better pizza topping than onions. Or that the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3. Everyone likes what they like and buys what they want to buy. Why does that seem to get people so bent out of shape?
    So are you going back to the Iphone, or are you content with what you have?
  23. #23  
    Pjr772's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    125 Posts

    Default Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I've had an iPhone since the original came out. It wasn't until earlier this year I tried something else. I tried the Lumia 900 for awhile and now have been using the Galaxy Nexus for a good while now. I don't know why we get locked into these debates over which is best. For intents and purposes I will just compare Android and iOS; to me all Android phones are the same but either with a skin or no skin. Better is subjective and no one will ever agree. They are just different, but not really.

    Honestly, after using Android IMHO it's literally the exact same thing as an iPhone. The only difference is that you can customize it and swap out stuff like keyboards, spring boards, and really what ever else you want to do. But at the most basic level with stock Jelly Bean, it's the freaking exact same thing. Rows of app icons on the screen. There isn't a single thing Android does that I couldn't do on my iPhone usability wise. In fact there are several things I miss from iOS such as the universal inbox; I hate email on Android. The only thing the iPhone can't do is customize the OS and phone to your liking. That's really it IMO. The apps even all have the exact same UI, function the same, and display the same content.

    When I got into customizing and messing with Android though is when I actually started to like it the least. After loading up a new spring board and trying to make it look really cool I found that in every day use I was forgetting how to do something. Many times I was like, wait what happened; oh yea I changed that two days ago. So now I'm on stock Jelly Bean. I find I use it just like my iPhone. Widgets were neat for about a day. Then I found they were just in the way and didn't really give me any useful information. Some apps are lacking. I haven't yet found a good basic list app. I also haven't found a comparable bill reminder app either that I like. Many apps also ask for ridiculous permissions such as a list app I tried wanted permission to see my phone calls. Then every time I got a call this little pop up that was completely useless would come up. Lots of apps are like that.

    I am in love with swiftkey 3 I will admit. Apple should buy them because this keyboard rocks hard and blows away anything else on any platform. While I do find the big screens nice when reading stuff I do get annoyed when UI elements are poorly laid out and I have to stretch my thumb across the screen. But bigger doesn't mean better to me. It's just different.

    I'll sum it up. The S3 just doesn't bring anything to the table that wows me and is like I must have that. Big screen; that's cool. More RAM; neat. SD card slot; OK. NFC; maybe some day it will be useful. Wireless charging; now that's interesting. Touch screen that works with gloves, say what? A hardware stabilized camera; haven't seen that before in a phone. Un-scratchable polycarbonate body! Where can I get one of those? Oh yea; it's called the Lumia 920. Give me something something I haven't seen before and I'm interested. But the S3; been there done that.

    In the end though I've found I want to spend time actually using my phone and just pick it up and go. I don't want to spend weeks getting everything little thing tweaked. I'd rather spend all that time living instead of setting up my phone in an endless loop of customization.
    That just sealed the deal for me. I upgraded my 4s to the 5 on launch day and since then I have been back and forth with wanting to give the s3 a try. Been to verizon 3 times to just play with it and every time I left with my 5 still in hand. Your right, at the end of the day I just want to pick my phone up an use it and not worrying about tweaking things to get them right. An unjailbroken iPhone may not have the flexibility that android has but "it just works" perfect the way it is.
    ThePinkChameleon and revtech like this.
  24. #24  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Oh no, trust me, i think they were purely justified in the suit (though i think the continued banter back and forth is a bit ridiculous)...i was referring strictly to this being used to show which phone was better (in any case really, not just iPhone vs. GSIII). What i was essentially saying was that nothing within an opinion on the lawsuit is a legitimate comparison stance between which phone is better than which...and nothing within those lawsuits helps better the phones at all (as it s development...regardless of legitimacy on either side).
    We're on the same page, my friend.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  25. #25  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,942 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,566 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofypook View Post
    First off im sorry that you are Lazy... Im not trolling at all, and never said i was a droid guy. I stated I preffered the droid. To me there is no such thing as a droid guy because there are 10,000 different droid models as apposed to one iphone?? I have never owned an iphone and have nothing against someone who does...but for me to compare the two would be foolish and reckless since i have never used an Iphone...Hence trying to get more information? Obviously I have struck a nerve and you feel the need to defend yourself. Calm down Chuck, its not that serious...
    Are you saying you can't talk about why you prefer your S3? Just trying to help you out is all.
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 4 or Galaxy S II: Which should you get?
    By Rene Ritchie in forum Other Operating Systems & Devices
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
  2. iPhone vs. Galaxy SIII
    By tbaptista in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 12:34 AM
  3. New iPhone looks like the Galaxy S3
    By motoleo in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions