Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
It is not an honest question. If you've been paying attention and are looking to participate in a discussion honestly, then you would already know where they've innovated.

Lol... Wow. I've been participating in plenty of discussions on this forum, both when I've had iphones and when I've used android phones. The reality is, what androidguy said is true. It was mentioned that Apple innovated with the iphone and I simply would like clarification to that... I haven't gotten it because no one can come up with an answer.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol... Wow. I've been participating in plenty of discussions on this forum, both when I've had iphones and when I've used android phones. The reality is, what androidguy said is true. It was mentioned that Apple innovated with the iphone and I simply would like clarification to that... I haven't gotten it because no one can come up with an answer.

-Widespread use of glass capacitive touchscreens.
-Multitouch displays
-High-capacity storage
-Mobile iTunes
-On device App Store
-Quality touch screen music player on a smartphone

I could go on and on. If you honestly don't know where apple has innovated then you either haven't been paying attention or you're intentionally trolling. Given your prior posts here, the latter seems to be the case.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
-Widespread use of glass capacitive touchscreens.
-Multitouch displays
-High-capacity storage
-Mobile iTunes
-On device App Store
-Quality touch screen music player on a smartphone

I could go on and on. If you honestly don't know where apple has innovated then you either haven't been paying attention or you're intentionally trolling. Given your prior posts here, the latter seems to be the case.

There it is again, troll... Whatever. Anyway... Yeah ok they innovated... ONCE about 5yrs ago, you just pointed that out yourself. It proves my point, apple has done nothing innovating in the last 5yrs...they shot their wad with the first iphone, and have been doing their own version of what other platforms have been doing for years ever since... Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point that out since people keep saying apple is an innovator... Yeah they were... Once.

Now, enough with this troll BS.... I've been a member here for quite some time. I've had the 4 and the 4s and the 5, with some android phones as well. I've never said anything bad about apple that wasn't true... But as its has been said before, even in a thread intended to compare the two, someone says something negative about apple and they're automatically a troll.... We still have iphones being used in this house, that's why I still come here to check things out.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I honestly cannot name many things at all that Apple has done with the iphone in the last however many years that I would lable as innovating. But I will say this, after a week of using the S3, I could not get back to my iphone 5 fast enough. A phone can have all of the gimmicks in the world (yes Im sorry, but bumping phones that have to be the same model to share things, face unlock, motion features, pop up play, smart stay, etc are all gimmicks), but when apps are force closing, lag is present, camera lacks, speaker is low, screen is incredibly dim, arguably unusable in daylight, colors are oversaturated, etc etc......I dont see how "innovating" even bears a strong weight in an argument. But, to each there own. I don't and won't get bent out of shape if someone prefers another device to the one I use.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I honestly cannot name many things at all that Apple has done with the iphone in the last however many years that I would lable as innovating. But I will say this, after a week of using the S3, I could not get back to my iphone 5 fast enough. A phone can have all of the gimmicks in the world (yes Im sorry, but bumping phones that have to be the same model to share things, face unlock, motion features, pop up play, smart stay, etc are all gimmicks), but when apps are force closing, lag is present, camera lacks, speaker is low, screen is incredibly dim, arguably unusable in daylight, colors are oversaturated, etc etc......I dont see how "innovating" even bears a strong weight in an argument. But, to each there own. I don't and won't get bent out of shape if someone prefers another device to the one I use.

Again... I didn't bring it up, just asked for clarification

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There it is again, troll... Whatever. Anyway... Yeah ok they innovated... ONCE about 5yrs ago, you just pointed that out yourself. It proves my point, apple has done nothing innovating in the last 5yrs...they shot their wad with the first iphone, and have been doing their own version of what other platforms have been doing for years ever since... Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to point that out since people keep saying apple is an innovator... Yeah they were... Once.

Now, enough with this troll BS.... I've been a member here for quite some time. I've had the 4 and the 4s and the 5, with some android phones as well. I've never said anything bad about apple that wasn't true... But as its has been said before, even in a thread intended to compare the two, someone says something negative about apple and they're automatically a troll.... We still have iphones being used in this house, that's why I still come here to check things out.

I'm not sure how he pointed that out. He listed the most obvious things you were asking for and said he could go on. Your real question is what has Apple done lately..as in the last few years right?

iphone 4 brought retina screens. I don't think your android friends were sporting those kind of screens. You had the big crap screens that looked like screen doors after that. Yep, i remember the Evo too. It's only recently that those bigger screens have improved enough to be worthwhile.

iphone 4S refined the iphone 4 making it much faster with a host of updates including Siri, airplay mirroring, and iCloud.

iphone 5 brought one of the thinnest, lightest and fastest phones available. Using in-cell tech, Apple created possibly the best quality screen on a smartphone. Only Nokia seems to be innovating to bring better (not your android buddies). iOS 6 included a superior Maps app, improved Siri, and much more integration with Macs. Headset redesigned.

My question to you is what has Google or Samsung done lately to innovate for smartphones? Besides copy Apple that is.. I'm sure you'll bring up NFC or wireless charging, neither of which are really useful or innovative. MS, with windows 8, is attacking google as well. All those google apps and services are of course available on a windows 8 PC but you have to get past the crap MS is trying to shove down your throat first now. Good luck with that since the start screen is all about Metro apps. How many will start using Bing, IE10, or outlook.com now?

Perhaps you should troll the windows forums? That's the bigger threat.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how he pointed that out. He listed the most obvious things you were asking for and said he could go on. Your real question is what has Apple done lately..as in the last few years right?

iphone 4 brought retina screens. I don't think your android friends were sporting those kind of screens. You had the big crap screens that looked like screen doors after that. Yep, i remember the Evo too. It's only recently that those bigger screens have improved enough to be worthwhile.

iphone 4S refined the iphone 4 making it much faster with a host of updates including Siri, airplay mirroring, and iCloud.

iphone 5 brought one of the thinnest, lightest and fastest phones available. Using in-cell tech, Apple created possibly the best quality screen on a smartphone. Only Nokia seems to be innovating to bring better (not your android buddies). iOS 6 included a superior Maps app, improved Siri, and much more integration with Macs. Headset redesigned.

My question to you is what has Google or Samsung done lately to innovate for smartphones? Besides copy Apple that is.. I'm sure you'll bring up NFC or wireless charging, neither of which are really useful or innovative. MS, with windows 8, is attacking google as well. All those google apps and services are of course available on a windows 8 PC but you have to get past the crap MS is trying to shove down your throat first now. Good luck with that since the start screen is all about Metro apps. How many will start using Bing, IE10, or outlook.com now?

Perhaps you should troll the windows forums? That's the bigger threat.

I'll give you the retina display and maybe icloud as being an innovation... Which, to me means it's a new idea/product that hasn't been done before. The others not so much... Apple maps is superior? Superior to what, blackberry maps? Come on, eve apple acknowledges that their native maps kinda suck. Siri and airplay aren't innovations... They're a different version of something that was already out in the market... Like Google voice actions and dlna

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'll give you the retina display and maybe icloud as being an innovation... Which, to me means it's a new idea/product that hasn't been done before. The others not so much... Apple maps is superior? Superior to what, blackberry maps? Come on, eve apple acknowledges that their native maps kinda suck. Siri and airplay aren't innovations... They're a different version of something that was already out in the market... Like Google voice actions and dlna

Is there another Maps product out there integrated with Siri and iOS? Nope. It's superior to the old Maps Apple had on iphones. It's an innovative product that will continue to get refined.

Siri isn't innovation? Ok... Airplay made pushing content to tv's easy for people. DNLA is more of a pull from PC and something that never really caught on with the masses. The innovation is that Apple made things easy for the mainstream and offered new things like mirroring. DNLA never supported mirroring.

There's many innovations Apple had with the iphone 5 I didn't even get into. The iphone has 3 microphones and noise canceling tech. Photo stream sharing. Passbook.

Again, let's hear the innovations Google or Samsung have made with smartphones the last generation. It's just an honest question. I assume you can't come up with an answer. I don't think project butter is one. An attempt to make android not laggy? Maybe the Nexus Q is innovative..lol

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Again, let's hear the innovations Google or Samsung have made with smartphones the last generation. It's just an honest question. I assume you can't come up with an answer. I don't think project butter is one. An attempt to make android not laggy? Maybe the Nexus Q is innovative..lol
Qualify that... what has Google or Samsung innovated that was not found to infringe an Apple patent?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Y'all act like I called your mama fat or something... I just never understood where apple has innovated anything in the last few years, but you have totally proved all of my points wrong and straightened me out... So you win, before apple we used two cups and a string to communicate with each other.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Y'all act like I called your mama fat or something... I just never understood where apple has innovated anything in the last few years, but you have totally proved all of my points wrong and straightened me out... So you win, before apple we used two cups and a string to communicate with each other.

It was just an honest question... You really can't think of anything innovating Google or Samsung has done lately?

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

You do get points for making me laugh with that post.
I agree there are plenty of blind fans out there on both sides.
I think Apple innovated with the first iPhone. Like you said that was years ago. Just skipping to recently, there is retina(Samsung copied), cloud backups, iTunes(google copied), single home button(sound familiar S3 and Note 2?), multitouch, etc. They innovated with Siri(Samsung copied with horrible S Voice). The concept was there with Google but it was not usable for anything more than "google this". Siri was the first advanced voice interaction on a handset. The biggest innovation they have in my opinion is user experience. I know that is broad, but no other manufacturer can even touch what they do. From the ultra reliable OS to the extreme integration with all things Apple to the store experience.
Again, back to my first post, Samsung has greatly closed the gap. The S3 is absolutely beautiful and I had zero reliability issues with it. It was perfect IMO but everyone opinions very. Samsung is also closing the gap with the end user experience with smart tv, laptops, cloud services etc.
the reason I stuck with apple is that google has already lost me as an everyday user to apple. I have a Mac mini, ape tv, iPad, and an iPhone. They work beautifully together and I came back from the S3 bc I already was invested in Apple. My choice and my money.....I gave google every opportunity for my $ up until the iPhone 4S. I had android tablets and phones and they just couldn't compete.

My first post stated that Samsung had closed the gap which is good for us consumers bc it means apple has to raise their game. I never called you a troll, I called the troll a troll.

Sorry for any typos or grammar, long post for tapatalk.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The Nexus 4: Google's flagship phone lands November 13th for $299 | The Verge

Here's some innovation. Latest Nexus with 4.2. And no LTE. A glass back (like the iphone 4/4S). I see they ripped off Apple's in-cell technology...but that's more an LG thing. Remains to be seen if that's patent infringing.

4.2 killer innovative features?

1. Panorama. Hmmm. Yep, totally innovative and clearly not done before. Oops, this is full 360 degrees. Take that Apple.
2. Gesture kb. Innovation or copied from swype?
3. Quick settings. Hardly a new concept.
4. Camera has also been improved with a completely redesigned UI focused on single-handed input. What? Let's just say like the iphone.
5. scale-to-fit messages for gmail (like the iPhone)
6. new accessibility options (like the iphone)
7. Google has added widget functionality to the lock screen (like the iphone)
8. Google Now significantly improved (in response to Siri's improvements no doubt)

Clearly, it's easy to see why people flock to android. So innovating?

Edit: Oops..here's some more innovative goodness: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/...-gesture-keyboard-multiple-users-photo-sphere

1. The highlight killer feature of 4.2 is support for Miracast, an industry-standard Wi-Fi display sharing protocol that allows new devices like the Nexus 4 to stream audio and video to TVs. (Think AirPlay). (like the iphone)

2. Daydream screensavers...lol

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4: Google's flagship phone lands November 13th for $299 | The Verge

Here's some innovation. Latest Nexus with 4.2. And no LTE. A glass back (like the iphone 4/4S). I see they ripped off Apple's in-cell technology...but that's more an LG thing. Remains to be seen if that's patent infringing.

4.2 killer innovative features?

1. Panorama. Hmmm. Yep, totally innovative and clearly not done before. Oops, this is full 360 degrees. Take that Apple.
2. Gesture kb. Innovation or copied from swype?
3. Quick settings. Hardly a new concept.
4. Camera has also been improved with a completely redesigned UI focused on single-handed input. What? Let's just say like the iphone.
5. scale-to-fit messages for gmail (like the iPhone)
6. new accessibility options (like the iphone)
7. Google has added widget functionality to the lock screen (like the iphone)
8. Google Now significantly improved (in response to Siri's improvements no doubt)

Clearly, it's easy to see why people flock to android. So innovating?

Edit: Oops..here's some more innovative goodness: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/...-gesture-keyboard-multiple-users-photo-sphere

1. The highlight killer feature of 4.2 is support for Miracast, an industry-standard Wi-Fi display sharing protocol that allows new devices like the Nexus 4 to stream audio and video to TVs. (Think AirPlay). (like the iphone)

2. Daydream screensavers...lol

Screw panorama... Android has had that for years, this is a little different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httNly60M-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah, leaving out lte was stupid on their part.... Even with the excuses they listed, it still seems like a waste of a good phone. I've never been big on nexus phones anyway, I'd rather not be the test dummy.. Lol

Gesture keyboard being a copy of swype? Sure.... But the same can be said of apple's drop down notification drawer, which to me is useless because you have no way of knowing what's in that drawer unless you drag it down and check it.

Widgets on the lock screen on android are a lot different than apple's so called widgets.... What is an apple widget anyway? Unless there's something I missed in ios6, all I remember was a notification you could slide on the lock screen.

Now... If you'll go back and read I never once tried to start an argument... I had a simple question regarding a statement that was made. All I needed was an answer, not for it to turn into EVERY other thread that mentions android on this forum... They ALL end up this way. I have a genuine curiosity to what seems to be the majority of the public's opinion which is that Apple is an innovator, and because someone says something negative about apple it gets turn into a my phone is better than your phone debate. I've seen documentaries about apple and Steve Jobs where they even tell you what apple has done... Which is take what other companies do and make it "better".... So I'm not pulling this out of thin air. You can try and turn it into a iphone vs android mess if you want, I'm not going there.....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've seen documentaries about apple and Steve Jobs where they even tell you what apple has done... Which is take what other companies do and make it "better".... So I'm not pulling this out of thin air. You can try and turn it into a iphone vs android mess if you want, I'm not going there.....

You have a genuine curiosity? As soon as someone answers it...you retort "No, blah blah blah blah blah." This tells me that you have an agenda to prove that Apple is NOT an innovator (which is why i quoted the line i did above, since it speaks DIRECTLY to this agenda). You can't have a "genuine" curiosity, but also have a dead set agenda...it does not work like that, they are mutually exclusive...you're either genuinely curious what people think or you want to know what people think so you can push your agenda...either or.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can try and turn it into a iphone vs android mess if you want, I'm not going there.....

But you are... every time you say "I just never understood where apple has innovated anything in the last few years..." you could understand if you wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711