Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Very fair price. My step son just picked up the 32GB RAZR MAXX from last year for $199. I would have waited and plunked the extra $100 for the HD version lol. You still on unlimited or tiered data?

Yeah I had the original... The hd is a lot better. Better screen, better build quality, faster processor, etc. I used my upgrade and switched to the share plan. About the same per month and we don't use but maybe 4-5gb a month anyway between three people. I got the 8gb plan.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Why it's better than the S3 for me? The battery isn't dead by noon. I had an S3 for about a week-and-a-half and tried to fix/adjust every setting on it to save battery. Nothing worked. I had to uninstall a bunch of apps and couldn't have push Facebook notifications or anything. With all of that, I was lucky to still have a working phone by 2:00 P.M. Otherwise, it would be DEAD before noon. :( Several other S3 owners at work have crap batteries as well.

martfer

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I think a great part of iPhone success is the OS, is just a such integration in between what does of the iPhone a better phone.
I will say too, beautiful design, gorgeous touchscreen, and always a decent battery life.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Why it's better than the S3 for me? The battery isn't dead by noon. I had an S3 for about a week-and-a-half and tried to fix/adjust every setting on it to save battery. Nothing worked. I had to uninstall a bunch of apps and couldn't have push Facebook notifications or anything. With all of that, I was lucky to still have a working phone by 2:00 P.M. Otherwise, it would be DEAD before noon. :( Several other S3 owners at work have crap batteries as well.

I had exactly the same issues with the battery on my (now sold) S3. No matter what I did to try and conserve battery, it would be absolutely dead by 6pm. Even on airplane mode with every notification, alarm, push and app closed, and with power save enabled, the phone would be dead within twenty four hours even if I left the phone alone completely and didn't touch it at all. I know this as I tested it one day to find out. I've documented my S3 trials and tribulations on here in a few posts and frankly I am so glad to be shot of the S3 and to now own a phone that 'just works'.

I think a great part of iPhone success is the OS, is just a such integration in between what does of the iPhone a better phone.
I will say too, beautiful design, gorgeous touchscreen, and always a decent battery life.

I agree with you totally on that. For me, the biggest selling point of a phone is whether the OS actually works well. As my S3 used to fall over constantly to the point where I couldn't rely on any apps, even stock ones (stock alarm failed to wake me up on occasion, having forced closed overnight for no readily apparent reason).

For my needs, iOS isn't flawless but it is an order of magnitude better than Android. I miss some aspects of my Android interface, like the sheer customisation options of the UI and the settings, both built in and with apps such as Tasker. Unless of course I jailbreak the iPhone, which looks incredibly scary and complicated from what my limited brain can glean from the Jailbreak forums. Anyway, no iOS 6 JB exists for the iPhone 5 yet and even when it does I will likely leave it a long while for the early adopters to find and fix all the flaws before I even contemplate it.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used the 5 but the S3 ran neck to neck with my 4S when I used one for a week! I've since sold it SIMPLY because I'm so deep in the iOS ecosystem with so many items that work together. The S3 though is a SPECTACULAR device, INCLUDING battery life!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There comes a time when it's not worth looking at a product due to its age. With the android event (and a new Nexus line) later this month, why are people still worrying about an older S3? The Nokia 920 seems much more interesting than a S3 as well.

I know this could be said about iphones, but that's a different case since Apple releases once a year.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as the S3 goes, I hear alot of different opinions in regards to battery life. Some members here that have tried it have had either good or not so good battery life. When I looked around on AC the members there post the same. It seems to be hit or miss & perhaps how each person individually uses their device as well:)

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
As far as the S3 goes, I hear alot of different opinions in regards to battery life. Some members here that have tried it have had either good or not so good battery life. When I looked around on AC the members there post the same. It seems to be hit or miss & perhaps how each person individually uses their device as well:)

Exactly.... Mine would last 12-18 hrs easily or longer if I didn't use it like normal

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
people i know don't like iOS cause "it never changes" but then again you have things like the S3 that have all these gimmicky things (IMO) like motion to call and swipe to take a screenshot (which has never worked for me). I think apple could stand to add a few things like widgets to their software, but the reasons they don't are valid. it's not tested yet. i would rather have a platform that took the time to refine, test, apply, and test again than a platform who put something out that isn't reliable. even if it is the "new flashy thing"

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.... Mine would last 12-18 hrs easily or longer if I didn't use it like normal
:) and my 4S is the same way. When I first got it I was able to make it to 3-1/4 days at times till I had to charge because I barely used it, so i was getting outstanding standby times. Now that I (actually) use it ALOT more lol, usually after a day and a half, maybe push to 2 days I need to charge again & I'm getting towards the upper part of 8hrs usage. I'm happy with what I can get out of it plus I can plug in to charge anytime so it's not an issue for me.

So basically it all comes down to what you prefer for a device on which you want : the S3 or the iPhone.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
people i know don't like iOS cause "it never changes" but then again you have things like the S3 that have all these gimmicky things (IMO) like motion to call and swipe to take a screenshot (which has never worked for me). I think apple could stand to add a few things like widgets to their software, but the reasons they don't are valid. it's not tested yet. i would rather have a platform that took the time to refine, test, apply, and test again than a platform who put something out that isn't reliable. even if it is the "new flashy thing"

Lol... Yeah I'm glad they waited for all the bugs to be worked out of something as simple as attaching photos to an email or using a song in your music app as an alarm before they rushed into it.... Something my old blackberry would do 10yrs ago. Just one example of why ios is overhyped a little in my opinion. I read an article in my paper this morning titled something to the effect of "list of why apple's new ios6 is so amazing".... Everything in that list were things that android or blackberry have done for years, but because apple does it they get their own article for some reason like it's revolutionary. Lol

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
wow that's funny. that article title. haha. i'm in no way saying apple is God's gift to the universe. i really don't understand people who live and breathe it and blindly follow it. but i will say in my encounters with android, i feel they rush things and they don't integrate apps very well. plus the fact that i got a virus on my phone and i have NO idea what/how much it effected. i'm an apple fan, but i am NOT the person who will sit outside at 3 am waiting for the FIRST ONE when a new one is released. everytime i go to android thinking "oh wow look what it can do" i'm disappointed a few months later cause of bugs or app/software crashes. things that never happened to me on iphone. but that's just my personal experience.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
wow that's funny. that article title. haha. i'm in no way saying apple is God's gift to the universe. i really don't understand people who live and breathe it and blindly follow it. but i will say in my encounters with android, i feel they rush things and they don't integrate apps very well. plus the fact that i got a virus on my phone and i have NO idea what/how much it effected. i'm an apple fan, but i am NOT the person who will sit outside at 3 am waiting for the FIRST ONE when a new one is released. everytime i go to android thinking "oh wow look what it can do" i'm disappointed a few months later cause of bugs or app/software crashes. things that never happened to me on iphone. but that's just my personal experience.

Oh they've both got their pros and cons for sure and I don't hate an iPhone... I just think they get too much press for stuff that really isn't innovative at all

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh they've both got their pros and cons for sure and I don't hate an iPhone... I just think they get too much press for stuff that really isn't innovative at all

Innovative is all in the eye of the beholder...I don't think the space program for the last 10 years was very innovative, but they landed a rover on Mars, so what are ya gonna do?

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
that samsung commercial where people are mind blown by moving the headphone jack is sadly dead on lol. i know apple fankids who see that as "innovative" or "cutting edge". for me, i just want my phone to work. day in, day out. i have 0 interest in picking it apart and doing science to it. so i guess android isn't for me. the couple times i've tried to customize by downloading apps to make my text window pink (don't judge), it screwed up my phone so bad i had to replace it. live and learn i guess. haha.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
:) and my 4S is the same way. When I first got it I was able to make it to 3-1/4 days at times till I had to charge because I barely used it, so i was getting outstanding standby times. Now that I (actually) use it ALOT more lol, usually after a day and a half, maybe push to 2 days I need to charge again & I'm getting towards the upper part of 8hrs usage. I'm happy with what I can get out of it plus I can plug in to charge anytime so it's not an issue for me.

So basically it all comes down to what you prefer for a device on which you want : the S3 or the iPhone.

12-18 hrs is a little more impressive from a 4.8" screen with lte rather than a 3.5" screen with only 3g though

tony477g

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
About the paid apps. While not always the case. iPhone has better quality apps that I would much rather pay $1 for it than get a free crappy app.
About GS3 having all the added features. I was actually talking to a co-worker that owns a GS3 just now about it. It is nice that the GS3 has all that stuff but in reality. You can't use most of it in most cases. And some other stuff that the phone has. I bet 98% of users don't even know they have it. Like NFC. What's the point o having it if you can't even use it anywhere? Turn the phone to silence, eye ball tracker, Etc. Most people don't know about them.
Don't get me wrong. GS3 is an awesome phone. But I just think most of the features are useless for now. The industry hasn't caught up to the technology yet.
And one thing I hate about the GS3 is the speaker on the back while the face has no edge to protect the glass. How am I supposed to listen to music?
Oh one more thing. You say you have no lag on android? Just wait a year or when the memory starts getting full. It will start lagging and crashing.

Even these free apps I find little to nothing wrong with them. No lag, force closes, nothing. I cant say that for all but the majority work just fine. You have a point with the NFC and motion controls but isn't that really the difference between android and iphone? Android is for people that like to customize more while apple is more here is the phone and you stay with what you get. I do wish apple would have pushed NFC just to make it bigger. As for the speaker, you put an otterbox on the phone and you can flip the phone onto the front to listen to it. Yes its kind of annoying but still your able to live with it. As for the lag in the future, we'll have to wait and see with that

- - - Updated - - -

If you have little service it'll drain your battery FAST! It has to be something wrong with some phone though because I had it on my first s3, second s3 had it as well but after about a week it went away, even with hard use I can make it about 12-18 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.