Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Blah blah blah that's all I read anymore when people try to compare these two phones. Get over it and be happy with your own personal choice, stop trying to convince anyone that ones better than the other.

Tap'n Like a boss on my S3

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had both devices. I prefer the 5 cuz it's a lot more user friendly more apps better battery better screen. Just love it. They r both great devices. But it's only what u prefer. The way I look at it. All iPhones are all on the same iOS. Easy to use with just one hand comfortably. Just think about it this way. Which device will u be happiest with for the next two years

Tapped out on my 5

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean... can you help me out? I cant figure out where the WB or ISO settings are on the i5 camera. I can find them on the S3, but not on the i5. Where are they?

Keep playing with your gimmicks, the phone's camera is still inferior (and if i was really hard up to get iso and white balance settings, i could download cameraPro in 2seconds)...i can go get an old Sony Ericsson camera phone with all of those options made 5 years ago, and it looks like the picture taken was shot through a glass of milk...the GSIII isn't that bad for sure, but it's definitely inferior in all categories (including white balance, which is kind of funny all things considered!)

And i know you don't want to compare night shots between the two...the noise level on the GSIII is humorous by comparison.

Then we get to the video shooting, lol...the race becomes less a competition and more a unfair comparison against the GSIII at that point.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Keep playing with your gimmicks, the phone's camera is still inferior...i can go get an old Sony Ericsson camera phone with all of those options made 5 years ago, and it looks like the picture taken was shot through a glass of milk...the GSIII isn't that bad for sure, but it's definitely inferior in all categories (including white balance, which is kind of funny all things considered!)

Sean, White Balance and ISO settings are not "gimmicks". Automatic WB vs Automatic/Custom WB .. which is better? Changing your camera's ISO settings is a great feature, better than having Auto ISO only.

If you want to take a dumb/auto-everything picture then I guess the i5 is the better camera for you.

But as someone who wants more creative control over their camera the S3 camera is the better camera for me.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Sean... can you help me out? I cant figure out where the WB or ISO settings are on the i5 camera. I can find them on the S3, but not on the i5. Where are they?

The camera on the iPhone 5 is so good I don't need to adjust settings. Have you ever owned an iPhone 5??

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean, White Balance and ISO settings are not "gimmicks". Automatic WB vs Automatic/Custom WB .. which is better? Changing your camera's ISO settings is a great feature, better than having Auto ISO only.

If you want to take a dumb/auto-everything picture then I guess the i5 is the better camera for you.

But as someone who wants more creative control over their camera the S3 camera is the better camera for me.

Like i said before, if i want the settings, they are available with a 2sec. download, so comparing the GSIII's having the features vs. the iPhone 5 "needing" them is a moot point.

The iPhone 5's camera takes better pictures all around, even with the GSIII's native white balance and iso settings...it's been shown over and over again by comparison after comparison.

Creative control...lol. If these camera phones and point and shoots are all you have available to you, i can understand your interest in wanting to play with an almost pointless iso setting on any of the phones (or pre-shoot white balance)...the iPhone 5 doesn't require you adjust them to take a better picture, but you can have the options if you want to play around with them by downloading cameraPro.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Better for you does not equate to better for anyone else...

How is my position any different than Sean's?????

- - - Updated - - -

Like i said before, if i want the settings, they are available with a 2sec. download, so comparing the GSIII's having the features vs. the iPhone 5 "needing" them is a moot point.

The iPhone 5's camera takes better pictures all around, even with the GSIII's native white balance and iso settings...it's been shown over and over again by comparison after comparison.

Creative control...lol. If these camera phones and point and shoots are all you have available to you, i can understand your interest in wanting to play with an almost pointless iso setting on any of the phones (or pre-shoot white balance)...the iPhone 5 doesn't require you adjust them to take a better picture, but you can have the options if you want to play around with them by downloading cameraPro.

You obviously have narrow tastes in "a better picture". Good for you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
How is my position any different than Sean's?????

You sound to me like there's an invisible "shut up, I know what I'm talking about and you don't" in your comments... All Sean is saying is the very things you whine are lacking in the iPhone stock camera app can be remedied by a trip to the App Store, and getting any one of several apps, rendering your arguments invalid.

thanks for illustrating my point...

pyceasyas123

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Used both very recently. Had the s3 for about 2 weeks and then tried the ip5. I chose the Ip5 for these reasons:

Screen
- The s3 screen was nice and big but my eyes are pretty good and the resolution just wasn't quite as good as the iphone. The retina display is just a bit better.

Form Factor
- The s3 screen size is nice and large and great for browsing or maps but something about the size of the iphone appealed to me. I liked the smaller phone.

Build Quality/Materials
- The s3 build quality is good but the iphone is just that much more precise. The iphone feels like a premium phone. The s3 components fit together well but the plastic feel didnt do it for me. The all aluminum phone felt better in the hand.

Software
- Very debatable here but I did find a bit more lag in the s3 than the iphone. However, that could change with android software updates. The s3 has a lot of great features but I found that i just didn't really use a lot of them.
- Email - This was a big one for me. Email on the s3 didn't display that nicely IMO. Since this is a work phone, this is very important and trumps most of the other great features the s3 has to offer.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
And neither is making a statement implying that all android phones get bad battery life...

You're missing the point of my statement. I wasn't saying it just to say it. I was pointing out that these battery problems aren't limited to any specific hardware, and therefore must be related to the OS.

For battery comparisons, I don't even consider the Maxx since it's already at the top of that list. We're comparing similarly sized phones with batteries of about the same amperage.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Narrow tastes? Nah, just a better understanding of what the features do apparently (or actually, what they DON'T do on these camera phones). I have a more realistic outlook on what both phones are capable of.

Bottom line, both of them suck at taking low light pictures...regardless of options or settings...they are also inadequate at taking good action shots because of the slow shutter speed (again, regardless of features...even the so called "Burst" mode on the GSIII which is laughable).

Both phones are more convenient point and shoots...nothing more. The iPhone just takes better pictures than the GSIII, with or without customizable settings...especially in optimal environments where these camera phones really shine, outside of that, they are kind of useless as far as "good" photography.

It's ok though, you have a lower level of knowledge on it, i don't blame you for that.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I can easily get 4 hours on my phone my max time is about 8 or 9 hours with HEAVY use moderate use about 10 or 11

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

That's pretty mediocre, considering that my phone has been off charger for 16 hours with 3 hours of screen on usage and I still have 64% of my battery left.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
One of the differences I notice when handed out phones is that if the person isn't very tech savvy you are better off giving them an iPhone. Android has quite a bit of settings and features hidden and harder to find for a non tech savvy person. I personally use iPhone because it works for me with the apps I need. I am tech savvy myself as I work in IT! I also like that even with the bigger screen on the 5 I can use it with one hand easily!

I won't argue which one is better because the argument is simply an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, as said, I think the S3 also is a great device, but the iphone(4) fits into my ecosystem really well. I have an iPad, an Apple TV, a MacBook, and a nice iTunes(Though I haven't get an iPhone 5)!
All of this fits in my life! All of them do nice work as its duty for me. So I won't turn to Samsung Galaxy S3.

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty mediocre, considering that my phone has been off charger for 16 hours with 3 hours of screen on usage and I still have 64% of my battery left.

I said avg time some days I get longer times

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.