Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Default Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Quote Originally Posted by frostyisgod View Post
    Over used every android device out their pretty much, and none of them compare to the iPhone. The ease of use of the iPhone and the no lag at all really, compared to android does it for me alone, never mind how good the iPhone looks and feels.

Apart from android not even having the same apps as the iPhone, nor the same quality no thanks.

From Sammy, to lg, to Motorola I've used them all, and yes they all do lag, Who ever tells I that they don't is lying. Like others have said I just want to pick up my phone and use and the iPhone does that. Android on the other hand does not, yes it's more customizable but that doesn't matter to me, the amount of the it takes to set up an android and keep it running smooth over the iPhone is a lot.

But then again that's just me and my preference from using all the phones pretty much.

Also wrote all of this on my phone so any spelling mistakes my bad just givin the heads up.
    So my gs3 lags? How can you possibly know that and I don't?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

Default Re: Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3

Quote Originally Posted by Goofypook View Post
    You can think what you want, but trust me if wanted to start a fight I would've by now...I get no joy in meaningless arguments. I am interested in the information, and I'm thankful too those who have added insight.
    I have re-read your op and adjusted my post accordingly. As someone else noted there are plenty of people that do what I accused you of doing and it gets old fast; however I read your post more carefully and feel I unfairly rushed to judgment and lumped you in with them. My apologies.
    Thanked by:
    Goofypook (10-04-2012)
    Goofypook likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts

I've had a variety of android phones for the last year and a half, and I just returned to apple since the 5 addressed my biggest frustrations. (Small screen and no LTE) Coming back after wandering through a disparate number of android phones feels comfortable, almost like home. It just feels right, and its also brought to light a lot of the issues with android that I could never really pin down.

1) Hardware iterates far too rapidly. You get the 'big thing' and shortly thereafter the next big thing is already announced. Yes, technology will advance, but with android it was TOO fast and in a crazy cycle that ends up harming users when all is said and done.

2) Android still is not as polished as iOS. A lot of this comes from differing UX goals, but I shouldn't HAVE to find third party apps to replace core functions of the phone that don't work well. It has gotten much better since 4.0, but still isn't good enough. Then on top of that you have manufacturer overlays, all of which end up harming the ecosystem more than helping it. I shouldn't have to relearn how to use an android phone when switching between a Samsung, HTC, or Motorola.

3) AMOLED screens suck. They are fuzzy, with blown out colors, and generally get tiring to look at. This is specific to the Galaxy Nexus and S3, both of which I owned. You don't realize how truly awful these screens are until you use something that's really great. Some, like the One X have great screens, but that specific phone was hobbled by carrier influence.

4) Carriers have far too much say over android phones. The S3 bucked this trend slightly, but even that was subject to meddling. (See Verizon's S3) Right now, carriers can pick and choose which phones they want, and in some cases even design them. I have no doubt that Americans have missed out on some amazing android handsets thanks to carriers turning them down or messing with the design and features. This is extremely frustrating, especially if there's a manufacturer (Motorola for me) that can't put out a fantastic handset because of a carrier like Verizon.

5) The ecosystem just isn't as good. Apps are better than they once were, but are still inferior. Apps that I use regularly look and work better on iOS than they do on android. There's also more of them. Then you couple that with the music store, etc., and it becomes hard to swallow Googles inferior ecosystem.

6) Overall experience is better. The iPhone experience is just better overall, at least for me. I have a Mac, I have an iPad. I had an enormous amount of trouble syncing all of my android phones with my Mac, which was frustrating with the amount of music I listen to. With iCloud, having an iPhone just makes sense for me. Having an android phone didn't.

Just so you think I'm not informed, these are the android hands I've owned in the last three years:
    -OG Motorola droid
    -Nexus One
    -Nexus S
    -HTC Sensation
    -HTC thunderbolt
    -Droid charge
    -Droid Bionic
    -HTC Rezound
    -Droid RAZR Maxx
    -Galaxy Nexus
    -Galaxy s3
    -LG spectrum

In addition, I spent some time with:
    -HTC One X
    -Droid incredible 4g
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 (11-04-2012), revtech (10-03-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

I have owned the 3GS and the 4S.
    About 6 weeks ago I sold my 4S and got a Galaxy S3. I have decided to sell the S3 and buy the iPhone 5.

Here are some of the things I like and dislike between the two. It's not a full list. its just some of the things that I personally noticed beyond all the usual fanboy rants.

FIRST...
    THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THE GALAXY S3...

Definitions: I can no longer easily look up words that I find on webpages. iOS's safari allows users to long-press any word in a webpage resulting in it's definition showing without leaving the page. I miss that. If you have an iPhone try it out: "ubiquitous"

No Reader: Safari has a feature known as "Reader" which removes all ads from a web page article and places it full screen with larger text. It automatically wraps text around so there's no need to scroll from side to side or shrink the page to fit when reading an article. But this is not a feature that my Galaxy S3 has and I really miss it.

No Undo?: making a typo in iOS is no big deal. Give the device a shake and you can make the boo-boo go bye-bye. But after 6 weeks I still haven't found a similar feature on my S3.

Screen: To my surprise the larger screen turned out to be a negative on the S3. it truly is uncomfortable to hold after a while. After handling the S3 for a few days, I understood why the new iPhone 5 is only be taller and not wider.

Also, although you hear many claims that the S3 screen is beautiful, I can only conclude that ithis is just people parroting what they have heard others say. In my own experience and observations, the S3 is necessarily and noticeably less vivid than even the iPhone "4". I compared some movie trailers side by side, (S3 and iPhone 4) with full brightness on both, and the S3 lost large chunks of details in shadows. and especially in high action sci-fi trailers with lots of fire and explosions. If you get the chance to do a side by side yourself, do it and you will see what I mean. I am surprised that there is little mention of this short fall out.

Battery life seems to suffer dramatically if you turn up the brightness.

Extra buttons get in the way: The S3's home button has two capacitor-style neighbors: a "back" button to the right and a "Menu" button to the left. As you would expect, the back button lets you return to previous screens within apps while the menu button avails app-specific actions. Too often I am accidentally pressing these buttons, especially when turning to landscape mode, or while using in landscape mode. It is an extra large pain when pressing the back button. And even when I actually do want to use these buttons, I find they are in an inconvenient position. Something that might solve both of these problems would be to place these buttons on the sides of the device in the same way the power and volume buttons are. That would be an advantage over Apple's soft back-button solution (usually appearing conveniently at the top of the screen), but as things stand now, these extra capacitor buttons are a disadvantage.

Another problem with even having a "menu button" is that it encourages developers to create an extra step to see menu choices in an app. Instead of placing a button on the screen, they hide it in the inconveniently placed menu button.

Home button on Galaxy S3 is too small and annoyingly difficult to press

Notification widgets: I miss the built in weather and Stock ticker that appears in the iOS notification center. I am still new to the Android platform so maybe I just dont know how to add one in, but it seems to me that there should just be one by default.

S-voice: Though I am in the minority, I used Siri daily on my iPhone 4S. Having watched many side-by side comparisons with S-voice I expected it to be an adequate replacement for Siri. Boy was I wrong. I am trying to keep this post short so suffice it to say S-voice does not even come close to Siri's speech recognition/comprehension capabilities (ICS).

My favorite apps are not available for android. iTeleport. StreamToMe. And after 3 weeks I have not found adequate substitutes. The apps seem to be much better done on iOS.

Predictive text on the S3 is a horrible experience. I tried for 4 weeks to live with it. but it just ended up costing me more time. I have since turned it off.

HERE IS WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE GALAXY S3

Widgets are cool

Maps (obviously) - S3 has google's built in turn by turn navigation: It's a BIG plus for Android. iOS 6 should EVENTUALLY catch up. But even then, street view is advantageous to have. It is well integrated with the nav system and has proven useful at least twice in the since I have owned the S3.

Google map location indicator is able to accurately show you which direction you are actually facing. As you turn the phone around , it turns with you. iPhone seems kinda flakey with that feature

The S-voice: features a sexy futuristic voice.

Multitasking: feature is much better than iPhone. It goes full screen showing screen shots. Much easier to see what you're working with.

Wi-Fi Sync: unlike my iPhone I was able to get wifi syncing to actually work

Hot Spot notifications: phone automatically notify you if there is a free open WiFi hotspot nearby.

Deleting notifications is a much better solution on Android. I like the way you slide away notifications to dismiss them

E-mail notifications

The S3 is easy to use as a flash drive, no special software required.
    Last edited by Keneo; 10-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Goofypook (10-04-2012), muad'dib (10-08-2012), nj1266 (11-04-2012)
    nj1266, Goofypook and muad'dib like this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    688 Global Posts

My BIG reason for having an iPhone and selling my GS3 is it's not android.

Seriously. That's it.

Why? Because if you EVER get an android phone you don't know long it will be supported or if your device will get the next latest and greatest update while people who have phones that they got BEFORE yours was made are getting the update... etc. There is just no consistency. Also Andorid is a hive for adware as their "awesome" open market doesn't regulate as much as they should. You can't just explore random apps on android without the risk of your phone getting loading with ad's or worse... getting hacked. I downloaded apps on my GS3 that installed ads into my default pictures library, my homescreen in the form of widgets and in my notification bar. There are all these "mobile security" apps for android because the OS is unreliable and so are the marketplace contributors. Norton, McAffee, AVG... etc. They all have mobile security apps that you can pay for. But why should you have to?

So then why not WP7? Well WP7 is dead. I will be VERY insterested to see what WP8 has to offer and if it catches on and gets some support. I loved my Lumia 900!
    Thanked by:
    Goofypook (10-04-2012)
    Goofypook likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Just one reason is enough, iOS is much better than Android.
    TaliZorah likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keneo View Post
    I have owned the 3GS and the 4S.
    About 6 weeks ago I sold my 4S and got a Galaxy S3. I have decided to sell the S3 and buy the iPhone 5.

Here are some of the things I like and dislike between the two. It's not a full list. its just some of the things that I personally noticed beyond all the usual fanboy rants.

FIRST...
    THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THE GALAXY S3...

Definitions: I can no longer easily look up words that I find on webpages. iOS's safari allows users to long-press any word in a webpage resulting in it's definition showing without leaving the page. I miss that. If you have an iPhone try it out: "ubiquitous"

No Reader: Safari has a feature known as "Reader" which removes all ads from a web page article and places it full screen with larger text. It automatically wraps text around so there's no need to scroll from side to side or shrink the page to fit when reading an article. But this is not a feature that my Galaxy S3 has and I really miss it.

No Undo?: making a typo in iOS is no big deal. Give the device a shake and you can make the boo-boo go bye-bye. But after 6 weeks I still haven't found a similar feature on my S3.

Screen: To my surprise the larger screen turned out to be a negative on the S3. it truly is uncomfortable to hold after a while. After handling the S3 for a few days, I understood why the new iPhone 5 is only be taller and not wider.

Also, although you hear many claims that the S3 screen is beautiful, I can only conclude that ithis is just people parroting what they have heard others say. In my own experience and observations, the S3 is necessarily and noticeably less vivid than even the iPhone "4". I compared some movie trailers side by side, (S3 and iPhone 4) with full brightness on both, and the S3 lost large chunks of details in shadows. and especially in high action sci-fi trailers with lots of fire and explosions. If you get the chance to do a side by side yourself, do it and you will see what I mean. I am surprised that there is little mention of this short fall out.

Battery life seems to suffer dramatically if you turn up the brightness.

Extra buttons get in the way: The S3's home button has two capacitor-style neighbors: a "back" button to the right and a "Menu" button to the left. As you would expect, the back button lets you return to previous screens within apps while the menu button avails app-specific actions. Too often I am accidentally pressing these buttons, especially when turning to landscape mode, or while using in landscape mode. It is an extra large pain when pressing the back button. And even when I actually do want to use these buttons, I find they are in an inconvenient position. Something that might solve both of these problems would be to place these buttons on the sides of the device in the same way the power and volume buttons are. That would be an advantage over Apple's soft back-button solution (usually appearing conveniently at the top of the screen), but as things stand now, these extra capacitor buttons are a disadvantage.

Another problem with even having a "menu button" is that it encourages developers to create an extra step to see menu choices in an app. Instead of placing a button on the screen, they hide it in the inconveniently placed menu button.

Home button on Galaxy S3 is too small and annoyingly difficult to press

Notification widgets: I miss the built in weather and Stock ticker that appears in the iOS notification center. I am still new to the Android platform so maybe I just dont know how to add one in, but it seems to me that there should just be one by default.

S-voice: Though I am in the minority, I used Siri daily on my iPhone 4S. Having watched many side-by side comparisons with S-voice I expected it to be an adequate replacement for Siri. Boy was I wrong. I am trying to keep this post short so suffice it to say S-voice does not even come close to Siri's speech recognition/comprehension capabilities (ICS).

My favorite apps are not available for android. iTeleport. StreamToMe. And after 3 weeks I have not found adequate substitutes. The apps seem to be much better done on iOS.

Predictive text on the S3 is a horrible experience. I tried for 4 weeks to live with it. but it just ended up costing me more time. I have since turned it off.

HERE IS WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE GALAXY S3

Widgets are cool

Maps (obviously) - S3 has google's built in turn by turn navigation: It's a BIG plus for Android. iOS 6 should EVENTUALLY catch up. But even then, street view is advantageous to have. It is well integrated with the nav system and has proven useful at least twice in the since I have owned the S3.

Google map location indicator is able to accurately show you which direction you are actually facing. As you turn the phone around , it turns with you. iPhone seems kinda flakey with that feature

The S-voice: features a sexy futuristic voice.

Multitasking: feature is much better than iPhone. It goes full screen showing screen shots. Much easier to see what you're working with.

Wi-Fi Sync: unlike my iPhone I was able to get wifi syncing to actually work

Hot Spot notifications: phone automatically notify you if there is a free open WiFi hotspot nearby.

Deleting notifications is a much better solution on Android. I like the way you slide away notifications to dismiss them

E-mail notifications

The S3 is easy to use as a flash drive, no special software required.
    Several of the reasons you listed why you didn't like it could have easily been remedied by downloading stuff from the play store. My iPhone 5 is definitely going back today.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #58  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    I have re-read your op and adjusted my post accordingly. As someone else noted there are plenty of people that do what I accused you of doing and it gets old fast; however I read your post more carefully and feel I unfairly rushed to judgment and lumped you in with them. My apologies.
    No apologies needed my friend. I probably couldve worded things a little differently, but I think most people understand my angle. I just am curious and would like to know. If I had the extra discressionary income I would love to actually by a Iphone 5 and give it a test run, but since I am unlimited data grandfathered in, i have been forced to buy all of my phones via retail price, and that gets pricey lol
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roll-Tide View Post
    Several of the reasons you listed why you didn't like it could have easily been remedied by downloading stuff from the play store. My iPhone 5 is definitely going back today.
    Hi,
    Can you help me out? What should I download to remedy my complaints about the S3?
    I intended to try out the S3 for longer, but I was missing my iOS features too much.

Obviously the problems with the S3 screen quality, and size can't be helped.
    But if there is a way to tweak the software, then I would be willing to hold on to it a little longer.

In particular...
    -I really wish someone would port iTeleport and StreamToMe to android. I have found some VNC and streaming clients but they just aren't as good as I am used to on iOS.
    -predictive text on the S3 really is a disaster for me. A couple of times I have managed to send some hilariously inappropriate messages.
    -A Stock Widget and Weather widget in the notification center. Is it possible to get it in there? I really miss those.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

---------- Post Merged at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:30 PM ----------
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Download a different browser...Opera Mobile, Opera Mini, and Boat Browser all do text reflow which rewraps the text in a paragraph depending on how far you zoom in. Meaning, you don't have to hit a reader button and increase the font size like on the iPhone, all you do is pinch to zoom on the text and it automatically reformats that text to fit your screen. You can zoom in so far that you can read it from across the room if you wanted to.

Battery life seems to suffer dramatically if you turn up the brightness..
    I've compared side by side...with both my S3 and iPhone 5 at around the same brightness, the battery life is only slightly better on the iPhone 5...but still, better is better

Extra buttons get in the way: The S3's home button has two capacitor-style neighbors: a "back" button to the right and a "Menu" button to the left. As you would expect, the back button lets you return to previous screens within apps while the menu button avails app-specific actions. Too often I am accidentally pressing these buttons, especially when turning to landscape mode, or while using in landscape mode. It is an extra large pain when pressing the back button. And even when I actually do want to use these buttons, I find they are in an inconvenient position. Something that might solve both of these problems would be to place these buttons on the sides of the device in the same way the power and volume buttons are. That would be an advantage over Apple's soft back-button solution (usually appearing conveniently at the top of the screen), but as things stand now, these extra capacitor buttons are a disadvantage..
    Personal preference....I actually feel it's more intuitive to have a back button next to your thumb rather than all the way at the top of the screen on the other side

I've got weather in my notification center...all i did was download weatherbug, but accuweather and others do the same and it gives the same information as iOS does. I don't deal with stocks, but a simple widget placed on the screen would be easy, and there may even be an app that does the same as the weather by placing it in the notification center

This one I wholeheartedly agree with you on...Siri is the main reason I might keep the iPhone, but with google now and updated voice search coming in Jelly Bean that will change. Only question is when I would get it. There are other options, but the only one I've found that even comes sort of close is AIVC...it looks and works almost exactly like siri, just still not as good.

Works both ways...there are apps on my S3 I can't find on the iPhone. Just part of it

There are COUNTLESS replacement keyboards in the play store...swiftkey 3 is widely accepted as probably the best touchscreen keyboard, iPhone included. Swype is loved by many, but not me. There are several available replacements...Jelly Bean stock keyboard is pretty close to iOS keyboard actually. I use Swiftkey 3, I'd say i can type equally fast on that or the iPhone 5.

Hi,
    Can you help me out? What should I download to remedy my complaints about the S3?
    I intended to try out the S3 for longer, but I was missing my iOS features too much.

Obviously the problems with the S3 screen quality, and size can't be helped.
    But if there is a way to tweak the software, then I would be willing to hold on to it a little longer.

In particular...
    -I really wish someone would port iTeleport and StreamToMe to android. I have found some VNC and streaming clients but they just aren't as good as I am used to on iOS.
    -predictive text on the S3 really is a disaster for me. A couple of times I have managed to send some hilariously inappropriate messages.
    -A Stock Widget and Weather widget in the notification center. Is it possible to get it in there? I really miss those.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

---------- Post Merged at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:30 PM ----------

It all comes down to preference....for me I'm still deciding, but leaning towards returning the iPhone 5.

S3- big screen, as fast or faster than the iPhone 5, text reflow in the browser makes for much easier reading
    iPhone 5- more comfortable to hold, Siri is a big plus, slightly better battery, slightly better camera

BOTH of them "just work", at least in my experience...so the reliability argument is pointless on me
    Thanked by:
    keneo (10-04-2012)
    keneo likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Wow!

Big thanks for your suggestions. I just downloaded Weatherbug on your recommendation and it is exactly what I hoped!
    I will definitely be looking for a stock ticker app that does the same. when I get home from work, I will try your other suggestions too.

I hope jelly bean comes soon. I am having issues. At first the S3 was smooth to operate even in ICS. But for the last week I am getting jerky scrolling though web pages and ten-second-long lock ups that end with a pop up msg saying "apps.google.... has stopped."

Right now I suspect I will end up going back to iPhone because of the screen issues, comfort, and ecosystem.
    If you decide to go back to the S3 maybe we should do a straight trade.

take care.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Wow!

Big thanks for your suggestions. I just downloaded Weatherbug on your recommendation and it is exactly what I hoped!
    I will definitely be looking for a stock ticker app that does the same. when I get home from work, I will try your other suggestions too.

I hope jelly bean comes soon. I am having issues. At first the S3 was smooth to operate even in ICS. But for the last week I am getting jerky scrolling though web pages and ten-second-long lock ups that end with a pop up msg saying "apps.google.... has stopped."

Right now I suspect I will end up going back to iPhone because of the screen issues, comfort, and ecosystem.
    If you decide to go back to the S3 maybe we should do a straight trade.

take care.
    No problem. I actually still have my s3 so I can use them side by side and compare before I decide which one I want to keep. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, or maybe I'm just used to android, but I haven't had any problems with my s3...no lock ups, no lag, good battery life, etc. I'm also familiar with iOS though..I've had the iPhone 4, 4S, and now 5. There are plenty of good things about both that's for sure.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Here's a couple of screen shots comparing the two. Home screens vs this forum using Tapatalk app on both.

sent using my Galaxy S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-uploadfromtaptalk1349373945244.jpg   Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-uploadfromtaptalk1349373979211.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

And now the iPhone 5 ....

Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349374057.787116.jpgWhy the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349374066.365791.jpg
    _X_
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Bloomberg has a some pretty good stock tickers

As for iTeleport equivalent the popular ones are
    LogMeIn (VNC/RDP)
    PocketClould (VNC/RDP)
    VNC Viewer (VNC only)
    RDM+ Remote Desktop (RDP)

As far as Streamtome I now there are similar apps but I've not heard/used any of them. Most people with android upload their music to GMusic and stream from GMusic.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me. I was disappointed when I found out the iPhone 5 was going to have a nano Sim. I switch my microSIM between Android phones on Verizon all the time, easy as pie. This is more risky I think. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4truegrit View Post
    my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me. I was disappointed when I found out the iPhone 5 was going to have a nano Sim. I switch my microSIM between Android phones on Verizon all the time, easy as pie. This is more risky I think. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks
    As for actually cutting the micro into a nano, yes it is theoretically possible. But my understanding is that it is extremely difficult. I was listening to Leo Laporte say that not only do you have to cut it, but its too thick and you actually have to SHAVE it! But sometimes its hard to tell when Leo is joking.

My question to you is this. Why bother purchasing a cutter and adapter and go through the risky business of cutting out a micro? Why not just purchase a nano sim from your provider? I used to have a two sim cards. All I had to do was call Rogers (in Canada) and they instantly activated whichever sim I wanted whenever I wanted. the nano sims only cost about $10.

Of course if you are constantly switching sims or if your provider is hard to get on the phone this might not be the best option.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

It should work... but be advised that the nano SIM is also slightly thinner than the standard SIM... so rather than modify the nano SIM, I'd recommend going to AT&T and getting a nano SIM from them... then use the adapter in the GS3.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Im sorry, and i know everyone has their own opinion...but the camera on the GSIII isn't even in the same league as the iPhone 5, and was JUST comparable to the 4S's camera. Tons of reviews online have shown this between the 4S and GSIII, and there are now comparisons between the GSIII and the iP5. Bottom line, it blows the GSIII's camera out of the water. If there's one proven feature of the iPhone that stands above all others, it's the camera.

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Im sorry, and i know everyone has their own opinion...but the camera on the GSIII isn't even in the same league as the iPhone 5, and was JUST comparable to the 4S's camera. Tons of reviews online have shown this between the 4S and GSIII, and there are now comparisons between the GSIII and the iP5. Bottom line, it blows the GSIII's camera out of the water. If there's one proven feature of the iPhone that stands above all others, it's the camera.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

As for actually cutting the micro into a nano, yes it is theoretically possible. But my understanding is that it is extremely difficult. I was listening to Leo Laporte say that not only do you have to cut it, but its too thick and you actually have to SHAVE it! But sometimes its hard to tell when Leo is joking.

My question to you is this. Why bother purchasing a cutter and adapter and go through the risky business of cutting out a micro? Why not just purchase a nano sim from your provider? I used to have a two sim cards. All I had to do was call Rogers (in Canada) and they instantly activated whichever sim I wanted whenever I wanted. the nano sims only cost about $10.

Of course if you are constantly switching sims or if your provider is hard to get on the phone this might not be the best option.
    It should work... but be advised that the nano SIM is also slightly thinner than the standard SIM... so rather than modify the nano SIM, I'd recommend going to AT&T and getting a nano SIM from them... then use the adapter in the GS3.

Okay thank you, I am with Verizon and of course in the past with the 4s this wasn't possible as the 4S wasn't 4 G L T E as the 5 is now. I think I will take the iPhone 5 into Verizon and get it activated with a nano Sim and then my microSIM in the S 3 will be deactivated. But then I can use the micro adapter to go back to the S 3. Rather than mess around and cutting the micro into a nano and making a mess of it. I've been reading some about people doing the cutting and while they say it works okay, I believe there still is a danger of doing damage to the SIM reader, there is the possibility of it getting stuck. I know I've talked to verizon and of course they say it is impossible and even if it was not to try it, but I knew that's what they would say. Just wanted to get their input.

iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Simply put it just works right out of the box. I don't have to tweak it and change this or that to make it do what I need it to do. I love love love that all of my contacts, apps, data, and even my settings will back up to the cloud or my computer and i can set it to do so on a schedule. So if I ever have to restore or if I purchase a new phone everything is EXACTLY how I set it up before and I mean everything! Ringtones, data from apps, all apps are in the right folders and I don't have to remember or go searching for or write down my apps before wiping clean. All oft user info is there as it was before. You don't know what major headache it can be to set up a phone until you've done it an 8th time. By that time you'd just give up say what the hell and just leave it as it is.
    I do love the seamless integration with my other Mac devices and I was able to import the google calendars into the built in calendars until I switched over. There is more but ill stop here..... For now.
    Thanked by:
    Goofypook (10-04-2012)
    Goofypook likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I went to Verizon today to exchange a case for my 5 so I decide to play with a s3 to see what is all the hype .. A rep comes over showing another couple and basically making it sound amazing then she shows them something on the phone and the phone froze would not respond to touch or anything ... I started laughing and had to walk away ... Confirmed my decision of buying my 5 right there lol
    seashell93 and TaliZorah like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Not that I disagree but this gave me an idea. I have both so I did a comparison. Here's one from the iPhone 5Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349397153.157536.jpg
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

And here's one from the s3

sent using my Galaxy S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why the iphone 5 is better than the galaxy s3-uploadfromtaptalk1349397187106.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Colors are a little better on the iPhone I think
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast