I'm stuck in the loop of upgrades and pretty happy about it...here's why

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the iPhone 4 (which I got for free thanks to my company). AT&T says I'm eligible in 18 months for the new iPhone which I have no desire to get if it's a 5S (can't believe people fell for that upgrade with the 4S..complete morons). It's the perfect loop of phone upgrades because I sold my iPhone 4 for exactly what I paid for the 5. Sure my carrier rapes me on the subsidizing I guess over two years but I never have to pay for a new phone. That's one of the great things about iPhones. They hold their value even after two years. Does anyone want to guess what the Samsung S3 will be worth in two years?

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a respectable phone. It actually holds a candle to some Apple devices, and maybe it's a little better.

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
What I find funny is everybody talks about the GS3. Good marketing will make one think that it's really the only decent android device out there. It beats out the likes of EVO 4G LTE and HTC oneX because: it has twice as much ram, its on ALL carriers and has a replaceable / little bit bigger battery. The EVO and oneX are no slouch. In fact many people say the EVO has the best screen of any device out there. But people believe it's just the GS3 vs iP5 right now because that's all marketing tells you to think about.

Mag

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I upgraded from the iPhone 4 (which I got for free thanks to my company). AT&T says I'm eligible in 18 months for the new iPhone which I have no desire to get if it's a 5S (can't believe people fell for that upgrade with the 4S..complete morons). It's the perfect loop of phone upgrades because I sold my iPhone 4 for exactly what I paid for the 5. Sure my carrier rapes me on the subsidizing I guess over two years but I never have to pay for a new phone. That's one of the great things about iPhones. They hold their value even after two years. Does anyone want to guess what the Samsung S3 will be worth in two years?

Actually I do pretty much the same with a 1 year contract and selling each one year old iPhone. I do end up having to pay around 100 euro this year, and 50 euro last year, but still it's a good deal.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Waiting on a later iPhone is never a bad thing. I never had any iPhone or iPad before the 4S. I bet the iPad 4 is gonna be the one that's really worth it.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
No harm in waiting. I got the 4s in June of this year and the ipad 3 2mths ago. O like the five but if I decide to get 5s next year then the resale value of my five should cover it ( I keep all original packaging, receipts, etc).

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

To each their own. I actually liked the upgrade from the 4 to the 4s. I guess I am a moron? The 4s was a decently faster phone, had a better camera. And while its certainly not a necessity, I enjoy using siri. I'm willing to bet that the "s" series of iPhones will eventually go away. Maybe as soon as this year. I think they are trying to get a balance for their product releases, and two iPhone releases a year really starts digging into the other hardware releases.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I update every with every new phone by using one of my lines. In effect, that upgrade is cost neutral after selling my previous phone.
Morons are those making a $700 car payment and making $20k. A $300 phone doesn't quite reach that level.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I love how people last year were bashing the 4S after apple announced it (myself included). Then I actually went out and got one in March. I honestly think the 4S will still be a viable phone in 2 years, and in this day and age thats impressive. If the 4S had LTE I wouldnt have upgraded for a long time. I gave it to my wife the day I got my iPhone 5 and she notices a world of difference between the 4S and her 4.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

YOU're a complete moron. But I like your final question... Yes I want to guess what the SIII will be worth in two years : according to the actual tendency, about minus 200$... and I don't know, they might give you a car or something with it. Only thing I hope is you'll be the kind of moron that will actually pay for it then...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I stopped reading when you made your asinine 4S comment and realized the rest of your post would probably be just as useless.

Basically he wrote about the wonders of selling old phone, buying an upgrade when its available as if he just discovered he could. That's only been rehashed to death on here.

For many it didn't matter how much of an upgrade the 4S was. The fact was carriers like AT&T were still offering annual upgrade pricing. It didn't make much sense not to upgrade.

Of course, the annual upgrades from AT&T came to an end this year.

_X_

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
...Sure my carrier rapes me on the subsidizing I guess over two years but I never have to pay for a new phone. That's one of the great things about iPhones. They hold their value even after two years. Does anyone want to guess what the Samsung S3 will be worth in two years?
You might want to re-evaluate ho is the moron is.

Anybody can pickup a phone for free (up-front) but will pay it back in subsidies and then some. I don't know your plan but the cheapest plan on Vz/Sprint/Att will get you paying close to $900 for that iPhone. So in the end you're paying $700 for that phone.

At T-mobile I purchased the S3 outright for $400 since I don't have to subsidize my phone. So buy paying $200 more and buying the phone outright I've reduced my bill by $500. A saving of $300. On top of that I chose to make monthly payments vs. paying outright.

So in the end of two years my phone cost me $100 and your phone cost $700. I'm sure you're phone wont be worth $700 but I'm sure my phone will be well worth more than $100.

But you want to know who the real winner is. The guy who bought your phone for $200 since he can chose any plan that suits him best with a good phone.

=X=

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
To each their own. I actually liked the upgrade from the 4 to the 4s. I guess I am a moron? The 4s was a decently faster phone, had a better camera. And while its certainly not a necessity, I enjoy using siri. I'm willing to bet that the "s" series of iPhones will eventually go away. Maybe as soon as this year. I think they are trying to get a balance for their product releases, and two iPhone releases a year really starts digging into the other hardware releases.

Jason I ended up with the five bc i was robbed of my 90 day old 4s three days ago. I was offered the five as replacement bc I accepted an early upgrade offer and will be keeping this phone for a yr past my initial contract due date.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Way to make yourself look like a complete idiot by alienating a large portion of this forum. The 4S was a huge upgrade, it just had the same casing on the outside. Just because you only judge things based on the exterior doesn't make everyone else a moron.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Way to make yourself look like a complete idiot by alienating a large portion of this forum. The 4S was a huge upgrade, it just had the same casing on the outside. Just because you only judge things based on the exterior doesn't make everyone else a moron.

I think he thought he was interesting...