Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Default Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens

Upon cleaning my lens today, I noticed there is a tiny bright white spot inside my camera lens. It's more in the upper part of the camera. It looks like it's a stuck dust particle. I've done numerous testing and it doesn't seem to affect my photos. Should I even bother getting it replaced? The reason I ask is because the phone seems to be in good shape and no other cosmetic flaws. I posted a slight issue about the speaker but I found out somewhere that others are having the same issue with that and it might be software related. How are your lenses looking? Do you see any dust inside? I'm almost thinking I ignore it for now since in the past I've had nothing but bad experience replacing the iphone for cosmetic defects and in return end up with a phone with other problems. What do you suggest?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,089 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens

Mine is fine. Had a small speck in my 4S. Was so minor, I didn't do anything about it.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

That's what I'm leaning towards. I see nothing on my photos. Just don't want to risk getting other defects with the replacement. Besides its a good way to get refurb before warranty is up .
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,071 Global Posts

5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Wow the guy with iPhone is worst! I'll just settle for now lol.
    iPhone Nanite

I noticed only yesterday my iPhone 5 has exactly same problem.
    You can find the photo (macro) in Apple Support Communities

http://discussions.apple.com/message/19835376
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

I'll keep my phone for now. No time chasing the flawless "iPhone". It doesn't exist lol.
    iPhone Beginner

I have same the problem. I have a tiny speck of dust in it which bothered me GREATLY at first but since it doesnt affect my photos, not gonna do anything about it~
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Save it for a refurb replacement before the 1 year is up.
    I also inspected 6 iPhone 5 on display at apple store. About half of them had a dust in the camera lens. So there is a great chance the replacement will have one and if not other issues like dents and scuffs, which I don't have.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Ok this phone is going back! I'm in Hawaii vacationing and taking more photos than normal and noticed my photos sucked compare to my wife's 4s! Mine are dull and somewhat blurred out with no sharpness look on them. This is pretty disappointing. I will try to get a replacement because of the dust and blurry photos. I thought I can keep this one despite the dust on lens but crappy photos is a definitely asking for an exchange. Has anyone returned for the same situation with no problems?
    iPhone Nanite

I have had a lot of issues with my IPhnoe 5 with lint under the camera lens. Apple tells me that they haven't experienced this before and will not do anything to repair it under their warranty. I never had this problem with my Iphone 4. I suspect that the IPhone 5 is more succeptable to pocket lint getting in. The lint is sufficient enough that it is impairing the quality of the photos. Has anyone had luck convincing Apple to do something?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've had my iPhone 5 replaced twice now...no questions asked for particles under my lens.

Both times I made a Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store and both times they replaced my phone.

Easy in and easy out.
    [FONT=Garamond]iPhone 4 32GB Black, 2012 MBP 13" i5/FONT]
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apris View Post
    I have had a lot of issues with my IPhnoe 5 with lint under the camera lens. Apple tells me that they haven't experienced this before and will not do anything to repair it under their warranty. I never had this problem with my Iphone 4. I suspect that the IPhone 5 is more succeptable to pocket lint getting in. The lint is sufficient enough that it is impairing the quality of the photos. Has anyone had luck convincing Apple to do something?
    Are you able to post samples of your photos? How degraded is the quality? Are you sure it's lint and not something else? Do you use your phone with or without a case? If using a case, which brand/model?
    iPhone Nanite

I had lint underneath the front camera lens cover. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of it, my camera couldn't focus on it.

When I took pictures with the front camera, you can still see the picture but the colors were washed out, it's wasn't very ... appealing.

I setup a Apple Genius Bar Appointment and it was replaced on the spot, no questions asked, no difficulty. They just took a quick look over the device to make sure there was no accidental damage on it and then set me up with a new one.
    iPhone Newbie

Had an issue with dust on the lens cover and got the phone replaced without issues
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 6

So I have seen dust but now I see it in my photos. This is unchanged in any way. Just of a computer screen.

I bought on launch from Apple Online Store. Should I call them? Nearest Apple Store is 2+ hours away.Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens-photo.jpeg

Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by isuquinndog View Post
    So I have seen dust but now I see it in my photos. This is unchanged in any way. Just of a computer screen.

I bought on launch from Apple Online Store. Should I call them? Nearest Apple Store is 2+ hours away.
    Do you have a case over the device or recently put a protective clear screen over it that could have contained dust particles? Furthermore, if it is becoming a distraction then yes, make an appointment with the Apple Store. It is no guarantee that they'll swap it out, but you never know. Do you have the AppleCare+ protection plan? If so, definitely make an appointment.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Do you have a case over the device or recently put a protective clear screen over it that could have contained dust particles? Furthermore, if it is becoming a distraction then yes, make an appointment with the Apple Store. It is no guarantee that they'll swap it out, but you never know. Do you have the AppleCare+ protection plan? If so, definitely make an appointment.
    They absolutely will replace it. In fact, I’ve had two iPhone 5 phones replaced for this problem. Both times, the genius smiled and swapped the phone with no questions asked.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (06-05-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Hmm... I thought my lens was scratched.
    Never occurred to me it might be dust or debris inside the phone.

It's small, but when using the zoom, it's REALLY obvious.
    I have a picture from my 13 year old nieces birthday, where this 'artifact' makes it look like she has a piercing on her upper lip.

Here you can see it left of centre, at max zoom:

Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens-1934648c-1375-4351-9e7f-6de1d333fd22-549-0000001698214fe5.jpg

Then, while viewing in camera roll, I blew it up and took a screen shot:

Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens-93b89cfe-5252-42dc-b0d9-bd58789d3d5e-549-00000016a9ced395.jpg

If it turns out to be scratch, I guess I'm out of pocket for repair.

EDIT:
    It gets better!

I just noticed that with no zoom, I have strange spots at
    4 o'clock
    6 o'clock &
    10 o'clock

Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens-e3c864ca-1eaa-4193-a2f9-fb2bc67edfc7-549-0000001c853ffc9f.jpg

FYI...I took the phone out of the case and cleaned it before taking these shots.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 06-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Wut?
    iMore Newbie

I had the exact same problem, had it exchanged at the Apple store.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Quote Originally Posted by ljpuk View Post
    I had the exact same problem, had it exchanged at the Apple store.
    Which problem?
    The circles, or the ugly black thing?
    Wut?
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    No case or screen. Roll naked. I do not have the plus plan. Very frustrated.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by evorc View Post
    Upon cleaning my lens today, I noticed there is a tiny bright white spot inside my camera lens. It's more in the upper part of the camera. It looks like it's a stuck dust particle. I've done numerous testing and it doesn't seem to affect my photos. Should I even bother getting it replaced? The reason I ask is because the phone seems to be in good shape and no other cosmetic flaws. I posted a slight issue about the speaker but I found out somewhere that others are having the same issue with that and it might be software related. How are your lenses looking? Do you see any dust inside? I'm almost thinking I ignore it for now since in the past I've had nothing but bad experience replacing the iphone for cosmetic defects and in return end up with a phone with other problems. What do you suggest?
    I recommend you should try to clean the lens with a piece of t-shirt and avoid from using any cleaning solution because it can make the lens be doped with a reflection layer. Using a add on camera lens is also a good way to protect your iPhone camera lens from dusts and scratch
    iMore Nanite

A good iphone camera lens can helps to protect your lens from dusts and scratch
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

So after posting in this thread back in June I finally brought my iPhone 5 to an ape store on Sep 18.
    3 days left on my warranty.
    I was shocked by the behavior of the Apple genius who helped me.

After showing him the ugly black thingy that was appearing in my pictures, he said "I've heard of this, but never seen one before. Let's get you a new one". My jaw almost hit the counter. Really? Just like that you give me a new $900 phone? (64gb, Canada)
    Wow.

Based on this experience, I'd say that Apple customer service is unmatched.
    Wut?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast