Dust Particle inside Iphone 5 Camera Lens

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Upon cleaning my lens today, I noticed there is a tiny bright white spot inside my camera lens. It's more in the upper part of the camera. It looks like it's a stuck dust particle. I've done numerous testing and it doesn't seem to affect my photos. Should I even bother getting it replaced? The reason I ask is because the phone seems to be in good shape and no other cosmetic flaws. I posted a slight issue about the speaker but I found out somewhere that others are having the same issue with that and it might be software related. How are your lenses looking? Do you see any dust inside? I'm almost thinking I ignore it for now since in the past I've had nothing but bad experience replacing the iphone for cosmetic defects and in return end up with a phone with other problems. What do you suggest?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine is fine. Had a small speck in my 4S. Was so minor, I didn't do anything about it.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'm leaning towards. I see nothing on my photos. Just don't want to risk getting other defects with the replacement. Besides its a good way to get refurb before warranty is up :).

iMarcello

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed only yesterday my iPhone 5 has exactly same problem.
You can find the photo (macro) in Apple Support Communities

http://discussions.apple.com/message/19835376

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have same the problem. I have a tiny speck of dust in it which bothered me GREATLY at first but since it doesnt affect my photos, not gonna do anything about it~

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Save it for a refurb replacement before the 1 year is up. :)
I also inspected 6 iPhone 5 on display at apple store. About half of them had a dust in the camera lens. So there is a great chance the replacement will have one and if not other issues like dents and scuffs, which I don't have.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok this phone is going back! I'm in Hawaii vacationing and taking more photos than normal and noticed my photos sucked compare to my wife's 4s! Mine are dull and somewhat blurred out with no sharpness look on them. This is pretty disappointing. I will try to get a replacement because of the dust and blurry photos. I thought I can keep this one despite the dust on lens but crappy photos is a definitely asking for an exchange. Has anyone returned for the same situation with no problems?

apris

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have had a lot of issues with my IPhnoe 5 with lint under the camera lens. Apple tells me that they haven't experienced this before and will not do anything to repair it under their warranty. I never had this problem with my Iphone 4. I suspect that the IPhone 5 is more succeptable to pocket lint getting in. The lint is sufficient enough that it is impairing the quality of the photos. Has anyone had luck convincing Apple to do something?

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 5 replaced twice now...no questions asked for particles under my lens.

Both times I made a Genius Bar appointment at the Apple Store and both times they replaced my phone.

Easy in and easy out.

aubreyq

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had a lot of issues with my IPhnoe 5 with lint under the camera lens. Apple tells me that they haven't experienced this before and will not do anything to repair it under their warranty. I never had this problem with my Iphone 4. I suspect that the IPhone 5 is more succeptable to pocket lint getting in. The lint is sufficient enough that it is impairing the quality of the photos. Has anyone had luck convincing Apple to do something?
Are you able to post samples of your photos? How degraded is the quality? Are you sure it's lint and not something else? Do you use your phone with or without a case? If using a case, which brand/model?

idip31

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I had lint underneath the front camera lens cover. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of it, my camera couldn't focus on it.

When I took pictures with the front camera, you can still see the picture but the colors were washed out, it's wasn't very ... appealing.

I setup a Apple Genius Bar Appointment and it was replaced on the spot, no questions asked, no difficulty. They just took a quick look over the device to make sure there was no accidental damage on it and then set me up with a new one.

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
So I have seen dust but now I see it in my photos. This is unchanged in any way. Just of a computer screen.

I bought on launch from Apple Online Store. Should I call them? Nearest Apple Store is 2+ hours away.photo.jpeg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I have seen dust but now I see it in my photos. This is unchanged in any way. Just of a computer screen.

I bought on launch from Apple Online Store. Should I call them? Nearest Apple Store is 2+ hours away.

Do you have a case over the device or recently put a protective clear screen over it that could have contained dust particles? Furthermore, if it is becoming a distraction then yes, make an appointment with the Apple Store. It is no guarantee that they'll swap it out, but you never know. Do you have the AppleCare+ protection plan? If so, definitely make an appointment.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a case over the device or recently put a protective clear screen over it that could have contained dust particles? Furthermore, if it is becoming a distraction then yes, make an appointment with the Apple Store. It is no guarantee that they'll swap it out, but you never know. Do you have the AppleCare+ protection plan? If so, definitely make an appointment.

They absolutely will replace it. In fact, I’ve had two iPhone 5 phones replaced for this problem. Both times, the genius smiled and swapped the phone with no questions asked.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... I thought my lens was scratched.
Never occurred to me it might be dust or debris inside the phone.

It's small, but when using the zoom, it's REALLY obvious.
I have a picture from my 13 year old nieces birthday, where this 'artifact' makes it look like she has a piercing on her upper lip.

Here you can see it left of centre, at max zoom:

1934648C-1375-4351-9E7F-6DE1D333FD22-549-0000001698214FE5.jpg

Then, while viewing in camera roll, I blew it up and took a screen shot:

93B89CFE-5252-42DC-B0D9-BD58789D3D5E-549-00000016A9CED395.jpg

If it turns out to be scratch, I guess I'm out of pocket for repair.
:(

EDIT:
It gets better!

I just noticed that with no zoom, I have strange spots at
4 o'clock
6 o'clock &
10 o'clock

E3C864CA-1EAA-4193-A2F9-FB2BC67EDFC7-549-0000001C853FFC9F.jpg

FYI...I took the phone out of the case and cleaned it before taking these shots.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods