Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Smile who is the Dad of the year? i am.

after battling the demons from within, i decided to not use an upgrade to get my next device and let my kids actually use THEIR upgrades this year!

Made a trip to the Apple store and picked up 3 iPhone 4's for $0. they are pretty stoked right now

of course i will more than likely have panic attacks once all of these places i left my name on lists start calling me for the 5, but its worth it. i guess, if i decide to, i can sell my 4S and make up the difference for no-commitment pricing [iPhone 5 or GS3]
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts

Default Re: who is the Dad of the year? i am.

Hope you go for the iPhone. I mean you can do whatever you want but I had the GS3. Nice phone, hate android.

Default who is the Dad of the year? i am.

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    after battling the demons from within, i decided to not use an upgrade to get my next device and let my kids actually use THEIR upgrades this year!

Made a trip to the Apple store and picked up 3 iPhone 4's for $0. they are pretty stoked right now

of course i will more than likely have panic attacks once all of these places i left my name on lists start calling me for the 5, but its worth it. i guess, if i decide to, i can sell my 4S and make up the difference for no-commitment pricing [iPhone 5 or GS3]
    That's awesome! I know your kids are glad to have a dad like you
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Could of at least got them the 4s for some Siri fun lol jp
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Awesome! Christmas came early this year 😁🌲

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

Nice! I sure that you made their day!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

That's awesome BLINK! My kids are about to chew through their restraints right about now! We are all eligible for upgrades now. All 5 of us. 😳 I told the kids we had to sell our iP4s first. Well I've got that worked out so a trip to the Apple Store is in the near future! 😄
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    EmceeGeek and nikkisharif like this.

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Way to go!! I think I just shed a tear. That is so awesome. You'll more than likely sell the 4S for the 5 soon anyway.
    64GB iPhone 6+ 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

That's awesome!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Sweet! You are definitely THE man, in my book.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    312 Global Posts

or.... use 2 upgrades to 4s... one to 5 and give the current 4s to the third... everyone happy!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Nice job!
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
    iPhone Intermediate

Good work Blink. I will have to do the same at some stage but luckily my boy is only 4 so many years till that dilemma comes my way. I like to think I'd do the same

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Nice BLiNK! Good things come to those who wait... and by wait I mean wait to sell their 4S to get the 5 instead of using an upgrade *thumbs up*
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"

Global Posts
    4,796 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post

I'm almost positive you will be getting a call tomorrow morning from Radio Shack.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Air 2 & iPad Mini Retina
    iMore Intermediate

That was a great gesture !
    Maybe needed just a bit of humility without the second part of the title.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,181 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm just the oppisite. I'm using my 13 year olds upgrade to get myself the 5. I pay the bill, I get the upgrade. That, and a 13 year old doesn't need a smartphone. We certainly aren't paying $30 a month for him to have data when he's not even allowed to take it to school. He has an iPod Touch to use at the house.
    phreddyl likes this.
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    I'm just the oppisite. I'm using my 13 year olds upgrade to get myself the 5. I pay the bill, I get the upgrade. That, and a 13 year old doesn't need a smartphone. We certainly aren't paying $30 a month for him to have data when he's not even allowed to take it to school. He has an iPod Touch to use at the house.
    You're sick. Using the upgrade your son has probably waited a year or more to use and you use it for yourself.../:

Nice job to BLiNK for letting your kids use their upgrades instead of for your own selfish whims. That's very nice of you (:
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by iSmileyFace View Post
    You're sick. Using the upgrade your son has probably waited a year or more to use and you use it for yourself.../:

Nice job to BLiNK for letting your kids use their upgrades instead of for your own selfish whims. That's very nice of you (:
    Dude, it's the golden rule. The man with the gold gets to make the rules. When a 13 year old can pay the monthly bill and buy the upgrade, then (and only then) is he entitled to it IMO. Anything else is a magnanimous gesture on the part of the parental unit.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    23,244 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Dude, it's the golden rule. The man with the gold gets to make the rules. When a 13 year old can pay the monthly bill and buy the upgrade, then (and only then) is he entitled to it IMO. Anything else is a magnanimous gesture on the part of the parental unit.
    (Laughing)...oh yeah. You are on point with this, my friend.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

We just switched over to Verizon from T-Mobile with 5 lines. The LTE in the iPhone is what really got me to swich. I got 4 iPhone 5's and bought one 4S off of Craigslist for my daughter. That way, next year she can get my 5 and I can use her upgrade eligibility for the 5S. She's only 10 so the 4S should easily last her a couple years. She's had an iPod nano for 4 years and an iPod touch for 2 so I trust her with it.

Victor
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

I think it's nice that you did that. However, "Dad of the year" to me isn't someone who gives his kids something new, but rather, one who works long hours everyday to provide necessary things for his children and spends what little time he might have for himself with his children instead....

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I think it's nice that you did that. However, "Dad of the year" to me isn't someone who gives his kids something new, but rather, one who works long hours everyday to provide necessary things for his children and spends what little time he might have for himself with his children instead....

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    That means I'm dad of the year, great! I'm sleeping less than 5 hours a night in order to have free time with my daughter AND for myself. That's the concession I have to make, I'm really someone that needs his time alone, and the night is perfect for that!
    Are you John Wayne? Is this me?
    Thanked by:
    Eileen89 (09-30-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,181 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iSmileyFace View Post

Um yeah, not so much. He has an Env 2 and is happy to have it. If you have a 13 year old who has been waiting more than a year to use an upgrade, that kid got a phone way to soon. The only reason he got that phone was to text his Dad who left him and moved four states away.(piece of dirt won't call him, only text so we got him a phone to do so) I have raised a son who doesn't feel that he's entitled to everything and also knows he has no use for an iPhone. What's he going to do with it he can't do with either his current phone or iPod? Nothing. Why would I pay another $30 a month for no gain? That's just stupid and wasting money. What he really wants is an iPad, if they release a Mini he will have one. If not he'll get a refurbed iPad 2. I think he's doing OK and so does he.
    phreddyl likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    Um yeah, not so much. He has an Env 2 and is happy to have it. If you have a 13 year old who has been waiting more than a year to use an upgrade, that kid got a phone way to soon. The only reason he got that phone was to text his Dad who left him and moved four states away.(piece of dirt won't call him, only text so we got him a phone to do so) I have raised a son who doesn't feel that he's entitled to everything and also knows he has no use for an iPhone. What's he going to do with it he can't do with either his current phone or iPod? Nothing. Why would I pay another $30 a month for no gain? That's just stupid and wasting money. What he really wants is an iPad, if they release a Mini he will have one. If not he'll get a refurbed iPad 2. I think he's doing OK and so does he.
    Good for you...13 can be a rough age. One thing to consider, he is close to the age where being able to track his location (via his phone) is a damn nice tool.
    Cheers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast