Unlock iPhone 5

rmanapat#IM

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a question in regards to the Official Unlicked version of the iPhone 5. I understand that it isn't suppose to come out until few weeks later after the initial launch. With that being said, As far as I know, the main purpose of acquiring an Unlocked version is so you can use the phone on any carrier you choose? Shouldn't the official unlock version of the new iPhone 5 should support either AT&T, Sprint or Verizon? And when I say support either carrier, what I mean is their LTE frequencies? If not, then what would be the use of spending full price if you wouldn't have the freedom to choose your carrier?

Any clarification or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
An unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 will not work on Verizon or Sprint LTE. It won't work on their 3G networks either. Only T-Mobile or any other GSM provider. A Verizon iPhone 5 is factory unlocked right out of the box. It will on any GSM provider, like AT&T....but it won't run on their LTE network. A Sprint iPhone 5 only works on Sprint and is not capable of being unlocked at the moment. If you want to use overseas LTE, the Verizon model is your best bet. Any unlocked iPhone 5 model works on all 3G networks worldwide.

rmanapat#IM

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I understand all that. But I think the bigger question here is, what's the purpose of shelling so much money if you wouldnt be able to use the phone on any provider you choose? And it's sad that it seems like its only like this in the US and not the other part of the globe. Because I know that in Asia or Europe, if I buy an unlock version of an iPhone, I can use that on any carrier without any limitations.

Especially with LTE. Shouldn't our government be regulating that? After all they want competiotion right? So how can that be better for us consumers?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
In other parts of the world no one cares if their unlocked phones work on CDMA carriers because there are so few of them. People buy unlocked phones to go between GSM carriers only.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I understand all that. But I think the bigger question here is, what's the purpose of shelling so much money if you wouldnt be able to use the phone on any provider you choose? And it's sad that it seems like its only like this in the US and not the other part of the globe. Because I know that in Asia or Europe, if I buy an unlock version of an iPhone, I can use that on any carrier without any limitations.

Especially with LTE. Shouldn't our government be regulating that? After all they want competiotion right? So how can that be better for us consumers?

Alli is right. CDMA isn't widespread around the world. Any unlocked iPhone sold in the world works on any GSM carrier. As for LTE, spectrum is regulated. Our government can't tell Australia to use their spectrum the same way we do. We went all digital for our TV signals a couple of years ago. That's how we got our LTE. Most other countries haven't done that and their LTE is in a higher spectrum.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73