Newbie debate... iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with iOS6?

YahyaRivero

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'll make the story of my journey short. I'm new to iMore but have been with Crackberry for a long time. I've only owned the first iPhone years ago and loved it. When I first got the iPhone I was excited about the basic functions, YouTube videos and apps. After only a few months I grew tired of it and realized that I needed some something that actually worked. Meaning something I can copy & paste with and etc. So obviously I got a Blackberry.

Now that Apple has added so many features to their phone since then, I'm dying to go back to Apple.

My concern is that I don't see much of a difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S with iOS6 installed. What's making me lean towards the 5 is the A6 processor and beautiful design, but is that enough for me to get it? Service providers are offering the 4S at a much lower price that's TEMPTING!

Can anyone give advice? Does anyone feel the same as I do?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since the iPhone 5 is the latest and is one of the two you are considering, I would recommend it over the 4S. If money is an issue then don't hesitate one second to grab the 4S and yes, the 4S is that good of a device.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
...if your jumping back to the iPhone and money ain't an issue get the 5...you will get the latest and greatest apple has to offer in an iPhone today...

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a world different than the iPhone 4S in many ways, and the same in many ways (which in my opinion is a great thing). If you're not hurting for money, why not upgrade to the latest version?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is worth the money because of LTE alone. The screen is just icing on the cake. Go with the 5. You will not be disappointed!

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
16gb iP4S = $99, 16gb iP5 = $199... that is $100 WELL spent. And 32gb iP5 at $299 is another $100 equally well spent when you factor in the actual cost of your two year contract. iP5 all the way, as a new user I wouldn't even consider anything less. The only debate IMO is if you are upgrading from an iP4S...

YahyaRivero

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes I forgot to mention LTE!!! Never had it before. Tried it at a locall AT&T, FAST!!!!!! Thanks.....

---------- Post Merged at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:11 PM ----------

16gb iP4S = $99, 16gb iP5 = $199... that is $100 WELL spent. And 32gb iP5 at $299 is another $100 equally well spent when you factor in the actual cost of your two year contract. iP5 all the way, as a new user I wouldn't even consider anything less. The only debate IMO is if you are upgrading from an iP4S...

Yes very true!

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
If money is not a problem go with the $100 more on iPhone 5. You will not regret it. Think about the value it will hold and the amount of time you are going to keep the phone. 2 years from now iPhone 4S will be a 3 year phone with 2 generations of iPhone in between while iPhone 5 will be 2 year old with only 1 generation in between. You could easily sell the phone then for what you paid considering the market behaves as it is since 2007. Also, you get better battery, display, camera and LTE with the newer generation.

Secondary think about iOS 7 that will be released next year. I am sure it will be supported with both 4S and 5 but some of the features might be omitted from 4S since the processor might not be fast enough for the next technology around the corner.

My advice again, if money is not a criteria is go for the iPhone 5...

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the same questioning ! I have a16 Gb iPhone 4 on ios6. So far I can't complain. But since the 5 is out there, is it worthed to upgrade ? Please leave the money factor out. I mean I want to know performance wise.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same questioning ! I have a16 Gb iPhone 4 on ios6. So far I can't complain. But since the 5 is out there, is it worthed to upgrade ? Please leave the money factor out. I mean I want to know performance wise.

iPhone 4 to a iPhone 5 it's like night and day. There's no if's or but's about it... iPhone 5 is a beast over the iPhone 4. Performance wise/size/weight/speed yup beats it up in every department. iPhone 5 is like the Miami Heat of the NBA...LOL

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If a 100 dollars is a factor, then I would say the whole idea of getting a smartphone and data plan is questionable.

That said, there's other reasons to consider a 4S. It's a mature form factor with hundreds of available accessories made just for it. All the apps are optimized for the 4S already.

But if you have an upgrade to burn, get the 5. It makes more sense in the long run.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

better camera, Siri, powerful processor, more RAM, bigger screen in addition to the physical attributes mentioned above...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative