iPhone 5...iOS6...and Siri still sucks

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
well thank you for the possible explanations...LTE should be hitting my area sooner and I am hoping that the outge I was having when I first got the 5 was just due to a server being overtaxed because everyone bought the 5 and switched to ios6...is this a possibility?

OK here's the thing I quickly skimmed the thread. You never described precisely what problems you were having and asked for help. It makes it so much more easy if people have experienced or seen the problem to suggest a solution. What you did was generalize the problems and say iOS 6 and Siri sucks what can make it better. Perhaps by now you have stated the issues you've been having but by the looks of it you still haven't gotten any answers so I'm thinking no. So what are the specific problems? Siri wont launch your apps, Siri wont give you precise results, your battery drains really fast, your apps constantly crash. See these are actual quantifiable issues that are not vague. I know the web so this might sound condiscending but I promise I'm actually just trying to understand what problems you're having if they are actually fixable.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I must agree that overall...Siri is still overhyped. As it is, it's not much better than...other times not even as good as Google Talk. For general priciples, and battery life I have Siri disabled. The good news is that Siri pales in comparison to how much Apple Maps sucks...but that's another thread.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So apple released Siri as beta. I think that's a fact. They don't do things like that very often, and my Apple experience goes back to an Apple IIe. So somehow I am humorous because I had hoped that beta meant it would be improved after a year? I'm not quite getting the point here.

And I am happy to hear Siri works nearly perfectly for you. My experiences so far don't match that. I don't expect my experiences are universal. That might be true for your experiences too?

I do like sending a handsfree text and hope as Siri gets to know me (I assume that's what happens) things will improve. I also expect that my brutally slow Siri response times are partially due to the unfortunate fact that my iPhone 5 gets old phone modem speeds over wifi, unlike every other iOS device I use on the same networks. I'm hopeful for a software fix on this latter element.

There's no fact at all. Siri is still an evolving software, it was before Apple even got it's hands on it, and it remains true today. The connotation people try to push with the term "Beta" is that Apple released on unfinished software (a negative aspect if you will)...and that's just horse sh*t. They released a software they could evolve and improve over time (just like the new Maps feature) and allow the consumer to have a feature on the phone (for free mind you) that allowed them to remove themselves from Google's stuff (again, like Maps). Is it perfect? Nope! But what software is? Google Maps isn't perfect, but people praise it like it's some kind of marvel...the damn thing has been around 7 years, I'd hope it'd be more intuitive and polished than a product like Apple Maps that's been out...what, a week?

Siri has been used for about a year now, and while i understand my experience may differ from every other person's on the planet (though i highly doubt it), I've been impressed and satisfied thus far, and i know that improvements and feature updates are forth coming, and that's exciting to me! Could i use some downloaded app to do similar actions? Sure! But why do that when i have a fully functional piece of software native to my phone that does what i need it to, and does it well for me (and speedy to boot).

You said that your experience isn't universal...obviously that's the case with me as well, but i will tell you this...i know A LOT of people who use Siri, and of the ones that live in my area that i interact with regularly and have had the conversation about the thing with, they've been primarily happy with it (with the exception of my wife, until she found out she could activate Siri with her hands free headset...then she was hooked).

The point I'm making is this...Siri is an ever evolving software. Throwing the word Beta at it in a negative fashion is what i find humorous.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Metrion (or motolo or whatever name you have) it's surprising to me that you haven't signed into your alter-ego lately to add more useless drivel.

that's because they finally banned his ass. but yet here we are, i guess he likes coming here so i will continue to talk shiit

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it is great that Siri is working well for many. I am not here to bash Apple, that's what Twitter is for. :)

I am sharing my experiences and perspective with a community in the hope that I can improve my experience.

And I think it is OK as a consumer to push for improvements. In truth all tech is beta, a work in progress. But when Apple specifically calls something beta, I take note. That means to me it didn't meet their expectations yet. And clearly Siri doesn't yet match my expectations. My problem, sure, but I'm not going to lower my expectations. Tech has advanced at a phenomenal pace because we all hope for more, envisioning the potential of the future.

The other thing with Siri is that it has great potential. I am not going to sweat things that aren't important to me. Siri is a big deal to this end user.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I got some real-world Siri use today... used it to make calls, and reply to email -all at interstate highway speeds. Did everything without a glitch.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I got some real-world Siri use today... used it to make calls, and reply to email -all at interstate highway speeds. Did everything without a glitch.

Did the same thing on Tuesday and Wednesday. I used Siri while driving to make a few calls, and read and respond to texts. And I also used Turn by turn. It all worked fine.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello...the above statement is true for me, most of the time. Has anyone done anything that optimizes it and makes it work better?

Just to clarify, as I have seemed to make a few individuals very very angry, I am not indicating that ip5 or ios6 suck, but rather mine and everyone I have talked to has had "sucky" experiances with Siri.

Also, what I was indicating, is after a new gen of iphone and another ios, I am shocked it does not perform better.

Lets be real I'm not going to say Siri doesn't have flaws it does we have years to go maybe even 10 or more to see voice recognition work better however Siri is the best one yet and if you can't see that I'm sorry..

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

dyuyeno

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. SIRI seems to be much quicker on my iphone5 vs 4s, it also is more accurate. Perhaps the new noise reduction has helped as well.

I find that at least Siri is working waaaaayyyy better with the iphone 5 than it did with my 4S. I didn't use it much when I ran iOS 6 beta on my 4S, but using Siri on my iP5, it's noticeably better than on iOS 5 with the 4S. I'm not sure if it's optimization from iOS 6, better (faster) hardware from iPhone 5, or a combination of both. But Siri is becoming more useful to me. Just my personal opinion.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh, yeah, the difference in Siri from 4S to 5 is definately noticeable. It's faster and more responsive. Definately noise reduction. I could tell.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
OK here's the thing I quickly skimmed the thread. You never described precisely what problems you were having and asked for help. It makes it so much more easy if people have experienced or seen the problem to suggest a solution. What you did was generalize the problems and say iOS 6 and Siri sucks what can make it better. Perhaps by now you have stated the issues you've been having but by the looks of it you still haven't gotten any answers so I'm thinking no. So what are the specific problems? Siri wont launch your apps, Siri wont give you precise results, your battery drains really fast, your apps constantly crash. See these are actual quantifiable issues that are not vague. I know the web so this might sound condiscending but I promise I'm actually just trying to understand what problems you're having if they are actually fixable.

Hey sorry for the delayed response. My issues I seem to constantly have are slow response times when asked to go simple things such as, "Siri text message...." Or directions to. Or google ... I speak clearly and slowly and I have no accent.

A few times it timed out and said I am sorry I can't take your request now try again later.

So now that the dust has settled due to my poor choice of wording for this topic, those are my real issues. I appreciate your detailed response.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Siri far from sucks. Having never used it before, I get the occasional slow response, but I am still amazed at the ease of hands free texting, appointment scheduling, and reminding I can do. It rarely every if ever gets words wrong and on LTE and Wi-fi the response is typically very fast.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Siri is growing on me. The response is getting faster and she is more accurately responding. That makes a world of difference. Also now that I understand the wifi issue I'm having (not alone), delays with Siri make much more sense. BTW, Here's a great article on Siri and movie reviews.
Siri's strange movie reviews: it's tough being a robot | The Verge

Between scheduling, sports scores, typing-free texts, and now movie plot summaries, I am starting to really like Siri.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like using Siri for setting alarms and reminders and the sports info been working ok for me. The movie info is good also. It's convenient for me to say to Siri "wake me up at 8am. On Tuesday morning I wanted to know who won the Monday night football game simple just ask Siri instead of looking it up online. Or Siri could have opened the NFL app. So Siri for me just makes things easier.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello...the above statement is true for me, most of the time. Has anyone done anything that optimizes it and makes it work better?

Just to clarify, as I have seemed to make a few individuals very very angry, I am not indicating that ip5 or ios6 suck, but rather mine and everyone I have talked to has had "sucky" experiances with Siri.

Also, what I was indicating, is after a new gen of iphone and another ios, I am shocked it does not perform better.

I am not going to read through this thread to see if someone else stated this already, but if you think Siri sucks, spend 5 minutes with S Voice from Samsung. You will want to through the phone at the ground as hard as you can. Just stop and think for a second what is happening when you use Siri. It is first taking everything you said, sending it to a server, interpreting it, then doing what you asked, then sending you the response. That is freaking amazing, hands down. To quote Louis CK:if you think that is so bad, hang a few hub caps from some trees and start your own damn cell company. (That was the gist of his set)

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Nor do you. :p

My Navigation needs are primarily met with my Garmin Nuvi... and I back that up with Navigon... so I have the best in mapping solutions in my opinion.

Statements like this do nothing to advance the discussion. When you point out to Blackberry guys something simple as there's no Netflix app for BB, their first reply is always, "I'd rather watch it on my computer or a big screen TV." Or a couple years ago if you pointed out their browser sucks, the first thing you'd hear would be, "You can't browse on a small screen anyway, I'd rather use my netbook." These kinds of statements and statements like, "I have Navigon" don't address the issue, and honestly, sounds bad. It's basically "I don't have a problem, so you shouldn't either," and is really more ad hominem than an argument. The truth of the matter though, is that not everybody has the same experiences.

The fact of the matter is, and it is a fact, Siri isn't perfect. I speak mid-western English, no distinguishable accent whatsoever, and many times, Siri makes mistakes. Saying "in 2012" more often than not leads to "into thousand twelve." I also have many foreign friends, trying to get Siri to pick the right name is sometimes an exercise in futility. My solution was to give most of them nicknames. Siri also frequently times out, both on 3G and Wifi, and it can happen at home, at Starbucks, at work, anywhere. China is Apple's second largest market, and in a few years, it will probably be their largest market, yet Siri takes a very long time to respond and frequently times out. I don't know how many times I've heard "Siri is unavailable."

Ask Siri this, "Who's the National League batting champ of 2012?" Siri asks if you want a web search. Ask it this way, "Who has the highest batting average in the National League in 2012?" and it will come up with an answer. Siri should understand the former. The whole point of Siri is natural language. I can say similar things about movies and restaurants.Even something as simple as "what movies are playing near me?" I suspect a lot of dissatisfaction with Siri is from people who haven't learned the proper syntax to speak to Siri, but Siri is advertised as understanding natural language, and it should do a better job.Those ads with Zooey Deschanel and Samuel Jackson didn't help that situation.

However, even given all it's problems, I still find Siri VERY useful. I use it daily. I will never set calendar events, alarms, reminders the old way ever again. Texting and quick emails are great via Siri. Tweets are really natural via Siri. Facebook isn't significantly better for me, but that's because I almost always attach photos. Siri is a godsend when you have 200 apps and can't find the one you're looking for.

Does Siri deserve criticism. Yes it does, it is obviously, still a work in progress. It is however, a great tool and I can't imagine using a phone without Siri, or a similar "digital assistant." To ignore all criticism and simply state, "It works great for me" doesn't help anybody, least of all Apple. Apple should be made aware of problems with one of its flagship features. It doesn't help the user either, especially someone new to iPhone. Perhaps they just don't understand the syntax necessary, or they need to change their speech patterns, or perhaps they're expecting too much from Siri. Helping them understand the limits of Siri and how to get the most out of her is how you help the person.

md17

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Statements like this do nothing to advance the discussion. When you point out to Blackberry guys something simple as there's no Netflix app for BB, their first reply is always, "I'd rather watch it on my computer or a big screen TV." Or a couple years ago if you pointed out their browser sucks, the first thing you'd hear would be, "You can't browse on a small screen anyway, I'd rather use my netbook." These kinds of statements and statements like, "I have Navigon" don't address the issue, and honestly, sounds bad. It's basically "I don't have a problem, so you shouldn't either," and is really more ad hominem than an argument. The truth of the matter though, is that not everybody has the same experiences.

The fact of the matter is, and it is a fact, Siri isn't perfect. I speak mid-western English, no distinguishable accent whatsoever, and many times, Siri makes mistakes. Saying "in 2012" more often than not leads to "into thousand twelve." I also have many foreign friends, trying to get Siri to pick the right name is sometimes an exercise in futility. My solution was to give most of them nicknames. Siri also frequently times out, both on 3G and Wifi, and it can happen at home, at Starbucks, at work, anywhere. China is Apple's second largest market, and in a few years, it will probably be their largest market, yet Siri takes a very long time to respond and frequently times out. I don't know how many times I've heard "Siri is unavailable."

Ask Siri this, "Who's the National League batting champ of 2012?" Siri asks if you want a web search. Ask it this way, "Who has the highest batting average in the National League in 2012?" and it will come up with an answer. Siri should understand the former. The whole point of Siri is natural language. I can say similar things about movies and restaurants.Even something as simple as "what movies are playing near me?" I suspect a lot of dissatisfaction with Siri is from people who haven't learned the proper syntax to speak to Siri, but Siri is advertised as understanding natural language, and it should do a better job.Those ads with Zooey Deschanel and Samuel Jackson didn't help that situation.

However, even given all it's problems, I still find Siri VERY useful. I use it daily. I will never set calendar events, alarms, reminders the old way ever again. Texting and quick emails are great via Siri. Tweets are really natural via Siri. Facebook isn't significantly better for me, but that's because I almost always attach photos. Siri is a godsend when you have 200 apps and can't find the one you're looking for.

Does Siri deserve criticism. Yes it does, it is obviously, still a work in progress. It is however, a great tool and I can't imagine using a phone without Siri, or a similar "digital assistant." To ignore all criticism and simply state, "It works great for me" doesn't help anybody, least of all Apple. Apple should be made aware of problems with one of its flagship features. It doesn't help the user either, especially someone new to iPhone. Perhaps they just don't understand the syntax necessary, or they need to change their speech patterns, or perhaps they're expecting too much from Siri. Helping them understand the limits of Siri and how to get the most out of her is how you help the person.

Finally someone that didn't want to have me publicly stoned for identifying "her" issues. I am honestly a little disappointed with the forum right now and the fact that I would be scrutinized so harshly for bringing my concerns. My full time job is an EMT/ firefighter, a place where ALL scenarios are way worse than criticizing a phone. There are fellow Americans fighting in a San pit desert for our freedom right now and we got others over here ripping people's head off over a comment made one a phone.

ReAlize how lucky we are to be able to talk about a phone, but if you can't offer constructive feedback than shut up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen