Amazon Trade In Program

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Before I bought my iPhone 5, I locked in a trade quote on Amazon for $310 --which was the best I could find anywhere. The caveat was the payment came in the form of an Amazon gift card--but I was okay with that as I figured we could get Christmas gifts there etc. I shipped it off last week and they received it on Tuesday. My account just says "processing".....

I am starting to become concerned only because since doing all of this--I have read horror stories about Amazon's trade in program (and others). They take your iPhone and claim it's in much worse condition after they have it--and try to offer you less. Then if you want it returned, it comes back to you weeks later without your box and original accessories (all of which I sent in).

My question is: what are peoples experiences both good and bad with trading in your iPhone? I have always sold mine on Ebay but their fees have gotten so high that I thought this looked like a better deal. Hope I'm just worried for nothing.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I ended up sending my iPhone 4 to Gazelle for $150. I've sold a phone through eBay in the past, and it was a huge pain. I thought about going the eBay route again, then opted not to after I realized that I would've paid about $25 in fees between eBay and PayPal (if I was able to sell it for $200). Obviously, if I got more than that, the fees would be higher. I think eBay charges 9% off the final sale price, and PayPal charges 3%.. then you have to factor in whatever it'll cost you to ship it (another $10, maybe).

So, in my case.. I would be out basically $15 (between my "take home" from the eBay route vs. Gazelee). Not worth the headache and hassle.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I ended up sending my iPhone 4 to Gazelle for $150. I've sold a phone through eBay in the past, and it was a huge pain. I thought about going the eBay route again, then opted not to after I realized that I would've paid about $25 in fees between eBay and PayPal (if I was able to sell it for $200). Obviously, if I got more than that, the fees would be higher. I think eBay charges 9% off the final sale price, and PayPal charges 3%.. then you have to factor in whatever it'll cost you to ship it (another $10, maybe).

So, in my case.. I would be out basically $15 (between my "take home" from the eBay route vs. Gazelee). Not worth the headache and hassle.

If you sold your iPhone 4 on eBay for $200 then you deserve to make little profit...the iPhone 4 is EASILY selling for $275-$300 within a few hours (and that's for the 16GB), the larger capacity will obviously bring more, while looking at the prices before selling my 4S, i saw 32GB 4's upwards of $350-$375. Let's say you sold your iPhone at $300 (plus $10 shipping), you'd pay around $25 in fees to eBay and like $2 to PayPal...leaving you with $283 (round about). Maybe a couple of bucks in gas (MAX)...you come out at the very worst (estimating tax and stuff) with about $275. I don't know about you, but I'm not in the market of throwing away $25, much less $125.

But hey, if $125 is worth convenience to you, knock yourself out.

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I sold my year old iPhone 4 8GB on SPRINT even on eBay for 200 (I wanted to sell fast and took offers) and the fees were only 11.35 I think (didn't use auction setting). Amazon was offering way less than that and I read some horror stories about them giving you only the least amount possible. I would go with eBay if I were you. It sold in a little over 5 hours and I had it shipped out to them from my house. I printed the label here and I didn't even have to drive to the PO.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but all of those eBay listings for a used 4 that have a bid price of $300 have ZERO bids. I just did a quick search now, and most are closing somewhere around $250.

That, and your fee breakdown is wrong. It's basically 13% total fees, plus shipping.

If I sold it for $300 (which wouldn't happen) - that's $39 in fees, plus shipping costs.. which would basically knock it down $50.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but all of those eBay listings for a used 4 that have a bid price of $300 have ZERO bids. I just did a quick search now, and most are closing somewhere around $250.

That, and your fee breakdown is wrong. It's basically 13% total fees, plus shipping.

If I sold it for $300 (which wouldn't happen) - that's $39 in fees, plus shipping costs.. which would basically knock it down $50.

It's 9%...just did it on their fee calculator, it came out to $27 with shipping cost.

As far as pricing goes...this was right up at the top, WITH 2 hours left and $15 shipping (which is silly).

Apple iPhone 4 - 16GB - Black (Factory Unlocked) Smartphone 885909406456 | eBay

**EDIT - Just wanted to point out that the auction listed above ended at $325...so yeah, there's a lot of profit to lose by simply giving it away to one of these trade in websites...lol.

Last edited:

boweveljoe

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My SO got lucky and sold her white 4 on Craigslist (16gb) for $250. Results may vary there though.

I think you should be ok. But some people tend to think something they have been using for a year can still be considered BRAND NEW IN BOX just because they had a case on it etc. They forget that normal wear is still...wear.

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about selling my 16g 4s on Craigslist, but I didn't have an extra phone to use until I was able to get the 5. However both AT&T and Best Buy offer buy back programs. I was originally going to go with AT&T for 234, but that didn't work out since they ran out of phones on Friday morning. Best Buy had one left on Friday evening and they held it for me until I could get there plus gave me 260. I was a very happy camper!!!

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You should never ever use a trade in program. I will never understand why people do this, it just doesn't make any sense. Trading in your item is automatically taking a price lower than what it is worth.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Selling a $400 iPhone was going to mean $50 in eBay/PayPal fees. Plus I didn't have to have it there until 10/1, allowing me to sell it before many sold theirs and still keep it until after I got my new one. No complaints here.

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
At the time I sold mine--I did a search of "completed listings" and iPhones with Applecare+ like mine were selling for $335 MAX, some less. I figured the fees and Papal fees would run be at least $40 ($295 net Best case scenario). My other gripe with Ebay: I have been getting low feedback bidders on high dollar items the last couple things I have sold. Me shipping my $335 iPhone to an Ebay buyer with 5 feedback makes me VERY nervous.

Anyway, I was tempted by the "no hassle" of the Amazon trade price of $310. I don't consider that giving my phone away or leaving money on the table when the best I could possibly do on eBay was $295. The question is will I ever get the $310! I called Amazon today and they are going to follow up with me via email. I will post my results here. The fact is: prices are falling for the 4S as 2.5 million people get the 5.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
At the time I sold mine--I did a search of "completed listings" and iPhones with Applecare+ like mine were selling for $335 MAX, some less. I figured the fees and Papal fees would run be at least $40 ($295 net Best case scenario). My other gripe with Ebay: I have been getting low feedback bidders on high dollar items the last couple things I have sold. Me shipping my $335 iPhone to an Ebay buyer with 5 feedback makes me VERY nervous.

Anyway, I was tempted by the "no hassle" of the Amazon trade price of $310. I don't consider that giving my phone away or leaving money on the table when the best I could possibly do on eBay was $295. The question is will I ever get the $310! I called Amazon today and they are going to follow up with me via email. I will post my results here. The fact is: prices are falling for the 4S as 2.5 million people get the 5.

What iPhone do you have exactly?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I got 389 for my 4s 16 gig plus 15.50 I charged for shipping my fees were like 39 bucks so I basically got 350 after all was said and done and it sold in 2 hours on a buy it now option and to me I think I did good considering my 5 costed me 280

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I got 389 for my 4s 16 gig plus 15.50 I charged for shipping my fees were like 39 bucks so I basically got 350 after all was said and done and it sold in 2 hours on a buy it now option and to me I think I did good considering my 5 costed me 280

You must have gone through so much effort and tough work to do that too huh? lol...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You must have gone through so much effort and tough work to do that too huh? lol...

Tons you know my two minutes taking pic another min doing a description all the effort of pressing list and putting phone in box printing the shipping label I was so exhausted I had to stop to drink a beer lol
Also worked very hard waiting for my iPhone 5 to arrive via FedEx lol

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Sold our 2 year old 16GB iPhone 4 on Craigslist today for $250. Could I have gotten about 275 on eBay? Probably, but fees from eBay and PayPal would have chewed through the rest, and I got the cash in hand today and didn't have to wait for it to clear.

Our other 4 is being picked up on Monday, just hope the transaction goes as smoothly ( also 250 ).

rstand

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I traded mine through Amazon. The process after receipt took two days. The price I got was equal to what I would have gotten on EBAY. The Amazon gift card is the same as money in the bank for someone who uses Amazon a lot and the process was simple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro