Switched to Verizon from AT&T - Crazy Data Usage Question

xandrik

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
So, I understand having the new iPhone 5 on verizon is on LTE, and that it's possible that I could be using the phone more. However, While being on wifi 90% since I got the iphone 5, my data is being eaten up.

From one day to the next it went from 200mb to 1.5GB. I was on wifi the whole time. I've called Verizon and they say they don't have a way to check how the data was used, only how much. They also are going to see if any of it was fraudulent.

Does anyone have any insight as to how I can check how the data is being used? i.e. If a certain app is using it, or a feature in iOS 6 that is constantly running in the background.

Make sense?

Thank you,

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no had this issue but have seen numerous complaints about this. It's seems to be when your on the tiered plans.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I had similar issues on AT&T when I switched from iPhone to android device or vice versa. Always stabilized during the following billing cycle. One month I racked up 10 Gigs of usage and I was on wifi 90% of the time and turned off cellular data. They took away the charges because I had them note my account early in the billing cycle.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
try using a data monitoring app. it will eat the hell outta your battery but it will trackk you usage. i have dataman, there is another one that will track the apps that are using the data but i forget the name

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So, I understand having the new iPhone 5 on verizon is on LTE, and that it's possible that I could be using the phone more. However, While being on wifi 90% since I got the iphone 5, my data is being eaten up.

From one day to the next it went from 200mb to 1.5GB. I was on wifi the whole time. I've called Verizon and they say they don't have a way to check how the data was used, only how much. They also are going to see if any of it was fraudulent.

Does anyone have any insight as to how I can check how the data is being used? i.e. If a certain app is using it, or a feature in iOS 6 that is constantly running in the background.

Make sense?

Thank you,

What are you using to check? Is it the my Verizon app, or are you using the iPhones built in meter?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and noticing similar thing with my data. Almost up to 5GB so far... :-/ will have to call AT&T

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible the "diagnostics and usage data" reporting is to blame for the huge amounts of data?

I used navigation a lot last couple days - maybe that's to blame??

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and noticing similar thing with my data. Almost up to 5GB so far... :-/ will have to call AT&T

Are you using AT&T's app? Someone I know was using the iPhones built in meter, and it was off by nearly double.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What are you using to check? Is it the my Verizon app, or are you using the iPhones built in meter?
The built-in meter is not right, even though it says "Cellular Data". I don't recall what it was named before but it included wifi and 3G. Mine was fairly high and logging in to Verizon and checking my account showed a more realistic number.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed higher than normal numbers on Verizon.. and I'm on WiFi the same as I was before. I thought I was the only one.. I ended up upp'ing my tiered plan from 1GB to 2GB so I didn't go over.

Justin V

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar issue and discovered my four email accts were set to Push with constant always on retrieval. One of the accounts is my work email with a lot of email being synced back & forth. This wasn't the case on my 4s and even though I set up the 5 from a 4s back up the email accts on my 5 were set this way. Here's what I did once the Apple tech and I realized this. First I changed the retrieval settings for the email accts. the work email was push and fetch set to every 15 min and the rest set to manual. (Settings-Mail,Contacts & Calendar-Fetch New Data set to Push and every 15 min then click advanced on same screen and set your email acct to Fetch or manual if you can.

They also had me turn off cellular data and turn it back on Settings-Cellular-Cellular Data. Not sure if that part actually mattered.
I went from using 527MB in the 90 min prior to these changes to only using 250 MB over the next few days (I don't have wifi at work).
Major improvement. Maybe this will help.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The built-in meter is not right, even though it says "Cellular Data". I don't recall what it was named before but it included wifi and 3G. Mine was fairly high and logging in to Verizon and checking my account showed a more realistic number.

Obviously it has nothing to do with the built-in meter, and everything to do with particular problems with the carriers. My built-in meter is precisely on par with my Data Usage app... It has always been like that.

You have to reset statistics on first day of billing in order to get the right number though...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Obviously it has nothing to do with the built-in meter, and everything to do with particular problems with the carriers. My built-in meter is precisely on par with my Data Usage app... It has always been like that.

You have to reset statistics on first day of billing in order to get the right number though...

My iPhone 5 was brand new and being used on a brand new VZW account so nothing needed to be reset. They didn't match. Maybe online is delayed vs what was being shown in the phone.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems the upgrade from VZW will set you right again... :) All I wanted to point out was that the built-in meter (usually) works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk