wifi on phone

pauldroidr2d2

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I received my iphone yesterday. Unless the phone is 2 feet away from the cable modem, it doesn't maintain a lock/connected to the network. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any problems connecting to my wireless network with my iPhone. I use a wireless linksys router.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I received my iphone yesterday. Unless the phone is 2 feet away from the cable modem, it doesn't maintain a lock/connected to the network. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

If you haven't already, try disabling encryption and see if your iPhone can connect & maintain its connection. If so, then try changing the passphrase. Also, if you have your wireless router/access point set to 5 GHz, the iPhone (I don't know about the iPhone 5) cannot connect at that frequency even though the iPad and MacBooks can. Also, check your router settings and make sure you have available space in regard to issuing an IP address for your iPhone. For example, if you have the range of your IP set from 192.168.1.100 to 104 and you have a computer, Game console, wireless printer and home theatre attached to your Wi-Fi network, then there is no room for the iPhone to connect. Finally, you can reset your network settings on your iPhone and re-enter the Wi-Fi- network's credentials and see if that help.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't already, try disabling encryption and see if your iPhone can connect & maintain its connection. If so, then try changing the passphrase. Also, if you have your wireless router/access point set to 5 GHz, the iPhone (I don't know about the iPhone 5) cannot connect at that frequency even though the iPad and MacBooks can. Also, check your router settings and make sure you have available space in regard to issuing an IP address for your iPhone. For example, if you have the range of your IP set from 192.168.1.100 to 104 and you have a computer, Game console, wireless printer and home theatre attached to your Wi-Fi network, then there is no room for the iPhone to connect. Finally, you can reset your network settings on your iPhone and re-enter the Wi-Fi- network's credentials and see if that help.

The iPhone 5 can connect to the 5Ghz band now, but it has been a sketchy experience for me so far...I've had better luck (and speeds) sticking with the good ol' 2.4Ghz I've been using for years with the other iPhones.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 can connect to the 5Ghz band now, but it has been a sketchy experience for me so far...I've had better luck (and speeds) sticking with the good ol' 2.4Ghz I've been using for years with the other iPhones.

Thank you, Sean. I appreciate you letting me know. As for the sketchy experience using the 5 GHz frequency, I wonder why that is especially when the iPad can connect to it without a problem? I have an Apple Time Capsule and my MacBook & iPad 2 connect to it using the 5 GHz frequency while all other devices use the 2.4 GHz frequency. Everything works smoothly for me. Have you had the sketchy experience even without encryption at the higher frequency?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
5Ghz has been wonky for me too at home... I'm hoping it is a software problem Apple will fix/update soon. Seems to work fine on 2.4Ghz so just sticking with that for now...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, Sean. I appreciate you letting me know. As for the sketchy experience using the 5 GHz frequency, I wonder why that is especially when the iPad can connect to it without a problem? I have an Apple Time Capsule and my MacBook & iPad 2 connect to it using the 5 GHz frequency while all other devices use the 2.4 GHz frequency. Everything works smoothly for me. Have you had the sketchy experience even without encryption at the higher frequency?

I tested it with all of the security off of that network, and the performance was not consistent...it was as if the connection speed was fluctuating constantly, and i found that over about an hours time, when i would go from a website to an app to an update, each time something different would happen (slow speed, function pausing, etc). Me and my wife's MBP's connect and have no problem with the 5Ghz band, so i thought maybe there was too much traffic on it (MBP's, one mac mini and an iMac all using it) and so when i shut them all down, it was still not a fluid performance on that band from the iPhone...our iPad 2 has been connected to the 2.4Ghz band and it's be just fine so i just switched the iPhone over to it too like all the other iOS devices we've had for years and it started working like a champ, no issues at all.

I'm thinking there's something causing a communication issue between them, but i know that it's not within my network because all the other components connected to it work fine (including my brothers iPad 3 which i tested just for the hell of it and it was fine too). It's definitely something on the iPhone 5, but whether they rush to fix it or not is of no real concern to me because it DL's and performs on the 2.4Ghz band just fine and is plenty fast on that band too.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tested it with all of the security off of that network, and the performance was not consistent...it was as if the connection speed was fluctuating constantly, and i found that over about an hours time, when i would go from a website to an app to an update, each time something different would happen (slow speed, function pausing, etc). Me and my wife's MBP's connect and have no problem with the 5Ghz band, so i thought maybe there was too much traffic on it (MBP's, one mac mini and an iMac all using it) and so when i shut them all down, it was still not a fluid performance on that band from the iPhone...our iPad 2 has been connected to the 2.4Ghz band and it's be just fine so i just switched the iPhone over to it too like all the other iOS devices we've had for years and it started working like a champ, no issues at all.

I'm thinking there's something causing a communication issue between them, but i know that it's not within my network because all the other components connected to it work fine (including my brothers iPad 3 which i tested just for the hell of it and it was fine too). It's definitely something on the iPhone 5, but whether they rush to fix it or not is of no real concern to me because it DL's and performs on the 2.4Ghz band just fine and is plenty fast on that band too.

Okay. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and i hope you enjoy the rest of your evening. :)

pauldroidr2d2

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a dual band router? What band are you trying to connect to on your router?

Hmmm, well the cable modem is a Motorola cable modem. My New iPad connects to it with no problem. My iPhone 4S does too. My phone detects my VZW wifi too. It also didn't detect the wifi signal at Starbucks either.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, well the cable modem is a Motorola cable modem. My New iPad connects to it with no problem. My iPhone 4S does too. My phone detects my VZW wifi too. It also didn't detect the wifi signal at Starbucks either.

That certainly sounds like a bad phone (like he said above), if it can't connect to multiple WiFi sources properly, take it back and let Apple give you a new one.

pauldroidr2d2

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
That certainly sounds like a bad phone (like he said above), if it can't connect to multiple WiFi sources properly, take it back and let Apple give you a new one.

I will be taking it back to the local Apple store on Sunday (my next day off) to see about getting it exchanged.

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
i don't know if mine has the same problems but something is weird. My iphone reconizes my wifi and says it is connected but it is superslow. The only other thing connected during this time is my laptop which isn't really doing anything. Do i need a new modem or is there something i can do to check?? I have Comcast Infinity and my laptop, ps3, and 360 all work good with no problems. Its just my iphone.

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
reset router and fixed it...for now...LOL and just for anyone else who has a problem similiar to mine...netgear router (came with Comcast Infinity high speed internet service). Iphone was connecting to wifi but not able to access internet. reset router (unplug power, wait 30 sec, replug) and it works :)

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I got my iPhone 5 on the 21st, and for the first week I was so obsessed with LTE that I didn't even pay attention to the wifi. I did notice that it seemed slow, but at first thought it was a fluke and ignored it. But no, it's hosed.

Just a few feet from the router, with clear line of sight, I can only get a few Mbps at best, far slower than the LTE, usually I can still browse the Internet but sometimes it completely craps out. However, my old iPhone 4S and iPad 2, both also on iOS 6, are working fine, and Comcast gives me 30-35 Mbps on LAN.

I've tried tweaking my NETGEAR router, power-cycling, removing WPA2, changing channels, scanning other networks, etc., to no avail. It's about 2 yeas old and does not have 5 GHz.

On my phone I tried turning wifi off/on, forgetting the network and manually entering the SSID, setting HTTP proxy to "auto", power-cycled, changing DNS, erased all content and settings and setup as a new device from scratch, and still no dice.

Maybe I should just turn off wifi and use my unlimited LTE on AT&T.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I have the same problem. Wifi speeds are very slow most of the time. Running speed test, I am only getting 3-4 mbps down. Normally, I get 15-20.

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
So i spoke too soon on the fact that my wifi was working. It works sometimes but is way to slow...i heard there was some issues with those that have netgear routers...