Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Question Drag and drop photos to iPhone5?

Was trying to import some photos from PC to internal iPhone5 storage using standard My Computer type method, but won't let me do it. I can see the photos that are there already, taken with the camera, but there isn't a photos folder; not sure what the file structure is supposed to look like. Ideas?

Regards, Peter
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: Drag and drop photos to iPhone5?

Why not just use iTunes?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

in itunes you can designate a photos folder on your PC to be synced to the phone. then just drag pictures to that folder. sync to iTunes and you're good to go.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    BB user.

Does everything you put on the phone have to go through iTunes?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jefftam68 View Post
    Does everything you put on the phone have to go through iTunes?
    Yes, unless you jailbreak*. Like "jfrebel" stated, you can organize your pics in folders on your computer then sync those folders to your iPhone via iTunes.

* actually, there are apps like iExplorer that can be used to drag/drop but for me it is just easier to sync via iTunes.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Why not just use iTunes?
    Because I dont want to be tied down to one computer. I own an iPhone, but not a personal computer. Not only would I have to install iTunes on every computer I use, I can only use ONE computer to sync from. The one thing I don't like about apple is, you can't add songs/images from another computer without erasing all of your own, nor could you download files onto another hard drive from your device. It makes it difficult to share media, but I think that was their intent.
    Last edited by Moohaumed; 04-23-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,175 Global Posts

I hate having to use iTunes to put stuff besides music on my phone. Even with the over the air alternatives that is one area I find very lacking.
    kataran likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

The only issue I have with syncing photos via iTunes is you am only sync the main folder not sub folders.

Global Posts
    6,353 Global Posts
    iOS Version

itunes is not very user friendly at first and becomes the friend you call last when you can't find anyone else to help you
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,149 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I also have to agree that iTunes is really the best way to go in terms of getting picture folders on your device. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to use iTunes to do this even if you don't want to be tied to a computer but what does it take to do this? A whole maybe 5 mins. Once you have your folders set up and every time you add new pics in these folders, No matter what you sync from now on will include these pics as well.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Quote Originally Posted by bunjy View Post
    The only issue I have with syncing photos via iTunes is you am only sync the main folder not sub folders.
    I am confused by this unless I am reading this wrong. You can setup a main folder on your desktop, and inside that folder you can set as many new subfolders as you wish to fill with photos and title them to suit your needs. Once you sync, as long as the subfolders are checkmarked (if you choose the option to only sync certain folders) they should all update on your phone. Make sure the 'photos and videos' option is checked as well in case you have videos the folders as well.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SpannerPLG View Post
    Was trying to import some photos from PC to internal iPhone5 storage using standard My Computer type method, but won't let me do it. I can see the photos that are there already, taken with the camera, but there isn't a photos folder; not sure what the file structure is supposed to look like. Ideas?

Regards, Peter
    There are two ways to do this;

You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone.

Or

You must create a folder on your PC and set iTunes to sync that folder for photos. You can then drag and drop at will in that folder and then when you are done just hit sync on iTunes.

People are reluctant to use iTunes probably because it's still quite a poor experience on Windows. My favorite part of Android was not having to use iTunes.

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post

You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone

Or

You must create a folder on your PC and set iTunes to sync that folder for photos. You can then drag and drop at will in that folder and then when you are done just hit sync on iTunes.

People are reluctant to use iTunes probably because it's still quite a poor experience on Windows. My favorite part of Android was not having to use iTunes.
    Using the Windows Explorer still doesn't let you drag and drop photos into the camera roll folder.
    It only let's you drag and drop out of the folder onto Windows.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    You can drag and drop photos directly to the camera roll. The camera roll is the only thing Windows has access too on the iPhone.
    I bought a refurb iPod 4 & this feature doesn't work. If I try to drag & drop photos into the DCIM folder there's a red circle. I've never seen this happen before on either of my iPhones.

Global Posts
    7,010 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Install the iCloud control panel, enable photostream on it. Then under photostream there should be an upload folder. Dump photos in there. Then you should see them in photostream on the iOS device.