i'm ready to get the 5, what are my best options?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
man i've called everywhere in town and my name is on all of their lists AND i still call twice a day lol

now RadioShack wants you to make a $50 deposit (RadioShack card) to guarantee you will get a phone the next available. i don't want to commit to that cause i'm ready to pull the trigger at any moment with anyone!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
damn, just checked online and no 5's to be found at any Apple store within 100 mile radius from me

that GS3 is looking pretty sweet right now...

The same GS3 that has such awful battery life that it's now $50 with a 2 year commitment and will be $0 with a 2 year commitment come Black Friday?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
please lord forgive me for what i might do this weekend

i have upgrades and cash burnin a hole in my pocket!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The same GS3 that has such awful battery life that it's now $50 with a 2 year commitment and will be $0 with a 2 year commitment come Black Friday?

Not sure where you are seeing the GS3 for $50. On AT&T's website the GS3 is still $199 with a 2 year commitment. Even the refurbished GS3 is $99. I doubt we'll see a high end device like the GS3 going for anything less than that even around the holiday. It's funny that you bring up poor battery life on the GS3 as this is the exact same complaint that some people have with the iPhone 5. It seems to me that it is hit or miss with getting a smartphone that has good battery life. Users of both the GS3 and iPhone 5 have both had good and bad experiences with battery life.

Samsung Galaxy S III - Pebble Blue cell phone from AT&T

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same situation Blink, but luckily when I called RadioShack the guy told me they had been sitting on 10 of them for Verizon since launch day. So I'm waiting for my new 5 to finish syncing now. Hope you have better luck in the next couple of days.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
please lord forgive me for what i might do this weekend

i have upgrades and cash burnin a hole in my pocket!

Listen, IF you have an open mind and are willing to try out another platform, then go for it(SGS3). What's your worst case scenario, after say, two weeks you really don't like it, you go back to your 4S OR by that time maybe they'll have stock of the i5 you want and you could just make a swap. You have expressed your opinion recently that the SGS3 has interested you, BUT if you have any doubt in your mind about changing platforms, then hold your patience and your cash in a safe place and wait for the i5 if that's what you really want:)

Don't just upgrade and get the sgs3 just to get 'something' .......know what I mean:)

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

The GS3 I have doesn't get the battery life I got on my iphone 4, true, but it lasts through the day no issues at all. I've been off charger since 2am last night, it's 1pm now, I am at 85%. I am easy getting 18-20 hours and don't have power saving on and brightness is at 30% (still very bright for this screen). Hell I have 8 widgets running and a live wallpaper as well.

I mean, I know this is iMore, I love my iPhone as much as everyone, I walk around at work all day with the iPhone 5 and love the feel of the design, but I'm not drooling to have one. The SGS3 is the first phone since my iPhone that has left me not drooling for other phones. After a couple months I'm usually bored with it and nitpicking to come up with excuses to buy another phone but I'm really happy with the 3...I won't change your mind but you made it sound like the phone went Patrick Bateman on the battery and that hasn't been my experience.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Rose, been all over the blogs for the last week.

Alli, just did a quick search and the only carrier that I see selling the GS3 for $50, is Sprint. Looks like it's a Black Friday only sale as well. I guess the other carriers could join them, but I'm not seeing that at this time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I overheard a guy today while I was waiting for the Apple Store to open. He got an iPhone 5 but had an issue with it. He then got the GS3, but thought it was too big and had too many issues for him, so he was back at Apple to get another iPhone.

Thanks for the RadioShack suggestions, mine was sold out, but they were going to reserve one for me next week. SAMs got a new shipment, but by the time I got there they only had one phone left - a Verizon one.

Used the Apple Store app to reserve my iPhone after 10 PM last night, got mine at the Apple store at 10 AM.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 I have doesn't get the battery life I got on my iphone 4, true, but it lasts through the day no issues at all. I've been off charger since 2am last night, it's 1pm now, I am at 85%. I am easy getting 18-20 hours and don't have power saving on and brightness is at 30% (still very bright for this screen). Hell I have 8 widgets running and a live wallpaper as well.

I mean, I know this is iMore, I love my iPhone as much as everyone, I walk around at work all day with the iPhone 5 and love the feel of the design, but I'm not drooling to have one. The SGS3 is the first phone since my iPhone that has left me not drooling for other phones. After a couple months I'm usually bored with it and nitpicking to come up with excuses to buy another phone but I'm really happy with the 3...I won't change your mind but you made it sound like the phone went Patrick Bateman on the battery and that hasn't been my experience.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

The S3 has interested me as well.....I just don't know if I really want to change platforms. I know for a fact that android has the few apps i utilize daily because I checked everything out on my sons Razr maxx, which is also a nice device-he gets great battery life btw, no bs. I'm sure what I use my phone for I'd get good battery life on the 3 myself, heII, I can use my 4S for 2 days straight before I hit the 10/20% warning to need to charge:) I just think I might miss my 4S too much lol. BUT hey, idk. I eventually want the i5, but at the same time it sits in the back of mind, "hey pink, maybe just try out the S3" lol. I'm sooo glad I don't have to make a decision tomorrow on what to do:p

BTW, BLiNK, what did you come up with today? Did you burn that money and the upgrade or you holding out for the i5? Inquiring minds wanna know:p

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm picking up a gs3 tomorrow but I'll keep my 4S in the sock drawer just in case. I have heard that the gs3 has really good battery life though which is a major draw for me!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Alli, just did a quick search and the only carrier that I see selling the GS3 for $50, is Sprint. Looks like it's a Black Friday only sale as well. I guess the other carriers could join them, but I'm not seeing that at this time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Correct, Sprint only as of right now. May change though.