iPhone 5 Camera Purple Haze

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
And there are other tests that show other phones that are as prone to purple highlights as the 5.

Some people that actually know about cameras have postulated that the iPhone 5's thinness is the issue. The thinner you get with lenses, the more these types of issues will crop up.

People need to stop with the bs that this is exclusive to the iPhone though, because it isn't.

You still dont get it, I'll try again, the purple fringe is an issue that pretty much all cameras have and we get that, however.. the ip5 seems to show it a lot more than other phones, it could certainly be the coating on the sapphire crystal or the thinness of the phone, in any case it is an issue, now... Is it something worth of everybody swapping phones and panicking??? NO... but you cant deny is an issue when there are pictures taken at the same " angle" with the ip4 and no fringing is seen.
It is an issue that will probably not affect the majority of the people but it's still a problem.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I have been a professional photographer (all I do is photography for a living) for over 15 years. The flare of the iPhone 5 is not really the issue for me because it is expected based on how the lens is made and positioned. The issue I have is the nasty purple color the flare has as it compounds the problem of the flare. I wish it were much more neutral like the 4s. Flare is expected but the purple color sucks. I am sure it could have been done (made more neutral) but something made it not worth it to Apple. Hopefully the next version will be better, for now we will just learn to use the tool (camera) within it's limitations just like any other tool.

Here is a simple shot of the light on my ceiling, again the flare is expected but man that's a lot of purple. At least we can convert them to B&W to get rid of the color.
View attachment 20568

You just put it the way it is, flare is inevitable and sometimes even desirable by some photographers, but the level of fringing is really bad, not even with kit lens or primes wide open I've seen stuff this bad, it was obviously a sacrifice they had to make to fit the camera in such a thin body and I hope too they improve it for the next model.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've been doing some tests today with my iphone 5 and an old 3GS from work, I was not able to get the fringing with the 3gs even after trying to angle the camera many times, the ip5 pics showed the purple fringe as soon as I framed, HOWEVER... the fringing can be seen on the screen before taking the pic so this reduces the problem a lot by moving the phone until it's gone.

Test 1:
azu8a3ut.jpg

yda2uzyh.jpg

Test 2:
upa8uba2.jpg

ederutuq.jpg

Kaze919

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
the important thing is that the fringing can be seen when composing, IMO it would be a huge problem if you couldn't see the fringing until you went too look at it later. Now its like saying that the picture is blurry because the camera sucks. No the picture is blurry because you didnt focus it, the camera doesn't know what you want. Just take another picture

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I did a some test shots with my 4s and with original iPhone I was able to get a ever so slight Purple Haze with the 4s. I had to angle the 4s just right for it to show up. You cant even see it as a thumb nail. If you look on the side of the pic you can see it slightly but it is no where near the Purple Haze of the iPhone 5 examples. where so much more of the pic is colored in purple.

Also this does not happen in my 4s if the light is to the left of the camera lens or holding it landscape only when the light is to the right holding the phone portrait. To see the haze look on the speaker on the right.

The original iPhone gives a more true representation of the colors in the 4s photos the walls look yellow in the 4s the look white and they are white no flash was used in any of these photos. I think it takes no effort at all for the user to get the purple in the iPhone 5's that have the problem and it's much more dramatic in the 5.

I would try some sunlight shots but it's not Sunny in Philadelphia today LOL

1. 4s light more in frame
IMG_1800.jpg

2. 4s light out of frame. (look for purple haze to the right)
IMG_1801.jpg

3 4s light out of frame example#2 (look for purple haze to the right)
IMG_1802.jpg

4. Original iPhone light out of frame no Purple that I can see
photo-1.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're holding it wrong.

It's not about how you hold it... it's how you compose the shot, and where any prominent light source is... people are aiming wrong. :D

edit to add... as seen on Twitter... from iMore's own Leanna Lofte: "@llofte: My $3000 camera with $500 lens just produced purple flare. ZOMG! https://t.co/GIDtO2z2 "

Last edited:

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You still dont get it, I'll try again, the purple fringe is an issue that pretty much all cameras have and we get that, however.. the ip5 seems to show it a lot more than other phones, it could certainly be the coating on the sapphire crystal or the thinness of the phone, in any case it is an issue, now... Is it something worth of everybody swapping phones and panicking??? NO... but you cant deny is an issue when there are pictures taken at the same " angle" with the ip4 and no fringing is seen.
It is an issue that will probably not affect the majority of the people but it's still a problem.

Except the pictures you posted we're of different angles. Pictures with identical angles show the exact same issue, at nearly the same intensity.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Except the pictures you posted we're of different angles. Pictures with identical angles show the exact same issue, at nearly the same intensity.

I dont think you read the description of the pics, I was unable to get the fringe with the 3gs regardless of the angle, I try to angle the camera in several positions but the fringe just never showed up for those particular pics, on the 5 it showed up as soon as I frame it.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I dont think you read the description of the pics, I was unable to get the fringe with the 3gs regardless of the angle, I try to angle the camera in several positions but the fringe just never showed up for those particular pics, on the 5 it showed up as soon as I frame it.

3GS has a crummy camera, and far inferior optics, which is why it's more difficult to do.

emozdashietxp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
decided to take pictures of the sears tower while i waited for the bus..first take no purple flare but wanted to get the purple flare effect so i angled it toward the streetlight a bit and voila my first purple flare :p the last one was a huge flare

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850744.046771.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850744.046771.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850760.395770.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850760.395770.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850770.896024.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1349850770.896024.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 30

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I think this thread is causing the purple haze, My 5 never had the purple haze until I started reading this thread, now I have purple haze all through my brain.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77