iPhone 5 Camera Purple Haze

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It seems to happen with any kind of light reflection on the lens that occurs at an angle. You would get the same flare on the lens with most cameras, but the fact that its purple on the 5 makes it more noticeable.

I have had a few pics with the sun just off the edge of the frame do it also.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's not chromatic aberration. Chromatic aberration is a purple fringe around the objects in the focal point of a picture usually caused by inferior lenses.

Aberration is a contrast issue...this also seems to share a similarity with such, which is why it was suggested. I don't see a better explanation thus far...ideas?

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:55 AM ----------

That's not chromatic aberration. Chromatic aberration is a purple fringe around the objects in the focal point of a picture usually caused by inferior lenses.

Aberration is a contrast issue...this also seems to share a similarity with such, which is why it was suggested. I don't see a better explanation thus far...ideas?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I think there is a legit issue here no matter many people say its a natural camera phenomena. I guess Apple agrees with those people though.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknowledges-iphone-5-camera-problem-says-youre-holding-it-wrong

I just skimmed through that quickly, and I have to say its not just an iPhone 5 (lens)issue. My daughters 4S does this purple hazing also if the pic has that extra light, or what ever you wanna call it. Prior to her upgrading to ios6 from ios5, her camera did not do this, and now she's on ios6 & it will. And I can confirm, my 4S still on ios5 doesn't do that either. So, my feelings on it, sorry to say are software and not hardware.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I called apple and the woman on the phone said that not all the iphone 5 have this issue. She said I could swap out my phone but nearest apple store is 2 hours away. Today is my last day with Verizon (14 day return policy) so I will see what they can do.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I called apple and the woman on the phone said that not all the iphone 5 have this issue. She said I could swap out my phone but nearest apple store is 2 hours away. Today is my last day with Verizon (14 day return policy) so I will see what they can do.

I'm going to put money on the fact that the all iPhone 5's CAN have this issue, but not all pictures WILL have this issue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Probably right. So, do we just live with this or what?

Well, after looking at what causes aberration, it most likely has to do with the new lens on the iPhone 5...some people were complaining about the problem with the 4S as well, but no where NEAR the amount of consistency as has been found with the iP5's setup (prob has to do with that new sapphire glass honestly). Could they do something in a software update? Maybe, but i don't know anywhere near enough about camera lenses and how the iPhone's system works to really know if that's even possible...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Probably right. So, do we just live with this or what?

I guess I am wondering how many times this would actually occur in normal use. I had not had it happen in nearly 300 shots taken prior to hearing about this. I then tried to recreate the purple haze purposely and after 30 shots with different positioning of the sun in the pictures, I was able to get it once. One of the main reasons I love the iphone is the superior camera and in all honesty, I don't feel the purple haze as we call it will happen enough to be an issue to me.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349467194.358927.jpg
Way to easy to replicate In my opinion. I can just pan around like I did with this photo and it is pretty evident. I'm at the gym right now and I bet I could take a pic somewhere in here and get that purple effect. I don't know it hasn't been that evident until lately.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am wondering how many times this would actually occur in normal use. I had not had it happen in nearly 300 shots taken prior to hearing about this. I then tried to recreate the purple haze purposely and after 30 shots with different positioning of the sun in the pictures, I was able to get it once. One of the main reasons I love the iphone is the superior camera and in all honesty, I don't feel the purple haze as we call it will happen enough to be an issue to me.

I took about 100 pictures at my nieces birthday party...and only a few of them had even a little purple on them (all of them except maybe 15 were outside in the sun). I had one i think with a lot of purple but it was because i was trying to take a picture of someone throwing a baby up in the air, lol.

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Either way, I guess ill live with it.

Why in the hell should you have to just live with it? That's terrible! Especially if you enjoy using your iPhone to take pictures like I do. This is ridiculous and not something we should just have to "live with".

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Why in the hell should you have to just live with it? That's terrible! Especially if you enjoy using your iPhone to take pictures like I do. This is ridiculous and not something we should just have to "live with".

I should say ill have to live with it until apple corrects it. I'm sure this won't last too long.

Whulfgar

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It is a hardware issue. Too thin. Really, that's it.

I don't have this issue at all and i'm pretty sure my phone is just as thin as every other iPhone 5. Probably just a random occurrence related to some manufacturing issue that very obviously hasn't affected every handset. Just take it to an Apple store and have them swap it out for you.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have this issue at all and i'm pretty sure my phone is just as thin as every other iPhone 5. Probably just a random occurrence related to some manufacturing issue that very obviously hasn't affected every handset. Just take it to an Apple store and have them swap it out for you.

Take a pic of lamp or some sort of light and have the light source just outside the frame. Tell me if you get a purple fringe or not. I've played with the display units at my Verizon store and it has the purple effect also.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR